Gold thickness for wire bonding?

Board house came back that having thick gold at only some spots and solder on others is special order and takes a long time. Hurumph.

So how thin do we have to get with the gold to still have it solderable?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

They just said 50 uinches is solderable so I'll take their word for it. Will let you guys know how it turns out and also how the bonding goes but that'll be a while.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I often check netlists for symmetries. I often find errors just by the number of nodes in nets. I've never found an error that the software or layout guy made (that made it through LVS). It's always been a schematic error of some sort.

Reply to
krw

Folks,

A while ago I promised feedback. So now that we've used the boards a few times here it is:

Ultrasonic bonding on the NiAu pads works very well. These are 150 u-inches nickel and 50 u-inches gold. Soldering to those also works much better than I hoped with sufficient pull strength for prototyping purposes. Prototyping is all these boards have to do. The solder surfaces are flash gold at about 10-15 u-inches gold. Soldering works very well there.

The boards were produced at 4PCB and they did a fine job.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Excellent, much thanks for the follow up.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold