Gold plating info

Where would I find out what metals are used in gold plated electrical connectors? Sci.chem is dead. I want to find out whether there are toxic metals used sometimes or not, eg lead, cadmium, etc.

thanks NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You'd have to contact the connector vendor to know for sure. Connector plating is often gold over nickel.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

ISTR it involves quite a lot of cyanide exposure so best do it in a proper fume cupboard.

Cursitor Doom

Gold contacts are usually plated with an alloy of gold and about 0.25% nickel or cobalt to harden it and prevent the mating contacts from cold welding and eventually tearing each other apart. Lead or cadmium are very unlikely to be present. Copper and its alloys are almost invariably plated with a barrier layer of nickel under the gold. This prevents the gold from diffusing into the copper and eventually disappearing. The best electrolytes are based on gold/potassium cyanide, so they do need to be handled carefully. A fume cupboard is a good idea if large areas are being plated and significant amounts of hydrogen cyanide released.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

thanks John, just what I was looking for.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr