Wire bonding gold on pcb

So I was sending out a little prototype pcb to advanced circuits. I need to be able to wire bond to the pcb pads. And the wire bonding guy I talked with said to get gold. Well there's more than one type of gold. Apparently for wire bonding I need a relatively thick layer (30 u inches) (750 nm) of soft gold. (Hard/ Deep Gold and immersion gold (ENIG) don't work, according to my limited reading.) The quote came back from advanced circuits. ~$2k for a few little pcbs! The reason for the high cost is that Advanced circuits sends it out, for processing.

Does anyone know of a board house that will do soft gold on a pcb in prototype quantities?

Thanks,

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I saw an ad for some tiny solder-down wire-bondable metal chunk things, in some microwave magazine. You could pick-and-place them like ordinary parts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Hmm that sounds promising. I'll try google. (Any ideas about what to search for??)

George H.

(I've sent quote requests out to Sierra circuits and some place called pcb universe. Trolling for others....)

Reply to
George Herold

I vaguely remember "moly tabs" (molybdenum), I think... been at least

30 years since I last had any personal responsibility with wire bonding. ...Jim Thompson

Hmm well I found this "moly tab" down on the last page.

But it's a heat spreader. Still thanks for waking up those old brain cells.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Submounts?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Or go to IMS or Caddock and buy a 1 meg resistor with wraparound bondable end caps. That gets you two surface-mount bond pads cheap.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Grin.. I was just going to upload this,

I'll give them a call tomorrow and find out a price. (Thanks for the tip.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Den onsdag den 12. november 2014 20.24.35 UTC+1 skrev George Herold:

What gadget are you making that justifies the hassle of wire bonding but not a $2K prototype?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Hmm, I guess I may be living in a penny wise, but pound foolish job. metal - semi-conductors contacts. I'm looking for any wisdom.

$20contacts/sci.electronics.design/HAy56ANa17E/yz2n5_E_hT4J That's a long link.
better?

Anyway the wafers are ~6x$100, I've got several metal masks for ~$300. The machines at the CNF are ~$1-200/hr. (maybe $300, I've got to pay for my gold.) After a prototype run, I'll want to make 'em as cheap as possible.

JL's, gold standoffs look pretty much perfect.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Hi,

I am a fellow CNF user, and I'm also looking for a way to do gold wirebonding to a PCB.

Did you even find a vendor that would do wirebondable gold for a reasonable price? Or find a different way to do gold wirebonds?

There must be a way!

Reply to
themikemachine

Yes, just fly.

The best way is to ask the wire bonding house to get the PCB. Just give them gerber files and bonding diagram and they know what to do.

I can do it for 2K. Let see: $600-$700 round trip air. $1000 for 10 days hotels while waiting. Yes, $300 for food.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Hi Ms2. We now have a place making these for us. So I'm out of the wire bonding business. But I bought these gold standoffs... gold plated onto Alumina.. four sides. Soldered those onto the PCB and then wire bonded to those... worked fine (well someone had to help me setup the wire bonding machine... ) I had more problems getting the gold to stick to my semiconductor samples.

Oh standoffs bought from this place

I think about $1 each in quantities of 100.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Reply to
Mark White

Stupid question: what is wrong with using aluminum wires like in transistors and encapsulated ICs?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Gold can be much thinner and better conductor.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

th 1

d:

an

ng

.
  1. > > >>> The machines at the CNF are ~-200/hr.

Thanks all for the great info. In my case, every wire is made of noble meta ls to prevent corrosion: the PCB will be ENEPIG, the MEMS chip has Platinum bond pads, and now the wirebonds will be made of gold. My device will be p otted and submerged in water for months.

Unfortunately Aluminum wires do corrode!

Reply to
themikemachine

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 5:45:09 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wr ote:

with 1

old:

s.

than

ely

cb

ding

ob.

$300.

.

tals to prevent corrosion: the PCB will be ENEPIG, the MEMS chip has Platin um bond pads, and now the wirebonds will be made of gold. My device will be potted and submerged in water for months.

In case someone is still interested:

Sierra Circuits does ENEPIG in-house and you can get some ENEPIG boards sta rting at ~$350.

I will probably order with them.

Reply to
themikemachine