Getting this NG back on-topic

On the thread about the 3rd Edition of AoE, Jim Thompson has pledged:

"I'll stick strictly to circuits IF EVERYONE ELSE WILL ALSO DO SO."

Please reply to this thread if you to are willing to stay on topic and to specifically avoid politics, religion and the special category of global warming.

I'm in.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

I nearly forgot:

Phil Alison's abuse shall be deemed "on-topic" because of its usually high overall SNR.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

I disagree. You can insult people without abusive language. It is more difficult to do, but that's not going to stop an educated electronic designer.

Reply to
linnix

Isn't this discussion off-topic?

Reply to
krw

Me, too.

But ... One does note that the usual trio of off-limits topics in polite conversation includes politics, religion, and sex. I guess we haven't been sufficiently salacious for the third exclusion. Perhaps another indicator of the group's graying demographic. ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Ohhhh snap!

Tim

Tim Williams

I never post BS, so this is trivial for me, but I do have some comments.

First of all, it won't work. Jim knows everyone is either too lazy to agree, or is exactly as bigoted as himself and therefore will continue to post BS anyway. The line was an empty, childish threat, equivalent to "I'll stop punching you if you do", or more simply, "eye for an eye". While it sounds fair on paper, it doesn't work in practice.

Indeed, there's no way to stop it. He isn't emotionally weak enough to scare away, even if the entire population turned on him (which again isn't going to happen, because people are lazy), nor is there any way of arguing against his statements in a logical manner -- like the transient response from a brick wall filter, Jim's brick wall head will never stop its culturally engrained political duty.

There is one thing we can try. Jim's threads are some of the most populous. Evidently, getting a Jim reply is some sort of social postrank which induces others to reply. Obviously, a thread started by Jim also carries this postrank, simultaneously drawing in all resident contributors, trolls and trollfeeders.

The obvious solution is to killfile Jim, but as he sometimes posts on topic material, that's not an ideal solution. However, since, like Phil, he cannot be trained, it still has some merit.

If all the regulars here would simply agree to reconsider before hitting the send button, we could see a dramatic drop in the political content. Imagine. Instead of complaining... just... let it be.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

"J.A. Legris"  wrote in message
> On the thread about the 3rd Edition of AoE, Jim Thompson has pledged:
>
> "I'll stick strictly to circuits IF EVERYONE ELSE WILL ALSO DO SO."
>
> Please reply to this thread if you to are willing to stay on topic and
> to specifically avoid politics, religion and the special category of
> global warming.
>
> I'm in.
>
> --
> Joe

Reply to
Tim Williams

Avoiding OT stuff will just make the ng smaller. That's not the answer. If you want more electronics on s.e.d., post more stuff about electronics. This group is hardly overloaded with electronics.

Most engineers are reluctant to talk about what they are actually doing.

John

Can't we all just get along? :-) Mike Did ya hear the one about the French elephant? Oh, sorry that's off topic.

Reply to
amdx

Nicked from sci.electronics.basics

Reply to
amdx

:

nd

Absolutely. And you just insulted my posting without abusive language, as I tried to do unto others. So, people can learn to do the same.

Reply to
linnix

Even if they aren't working under a NDA.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

"J.A. Legris"

I nearly forgot:

Phil Alison's abuse shall be deemed "on-topic" because of its usually high overall SNR.

** Huh ???

Why am I being so honoured ?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

[snip]

You like everyone in this group?

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

You know quite a lot about electronics, but you are even less diplomatic than I am.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

OK. I won't respond to BS the BS unless on electronics for at least 3 months.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

I say a 10:1 ratio of electronics to off topic is ok..

Reply to
D from BC

Oh that should give you warm fuzzy feelings!

No meds required today! :)

Reply to
Jamie

--

THIS POSTING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ELECTRONICS
WHERE ARE THE THOUGHT POLICE WHEN YOU NEED THEM?

Exactly. I'm not just reluctant, I'm forbidden by NDA for typically five years after the fact.

Also, I rarely initiate an electronics post (other than a "contest" question) because I'm so old I've "already done that" ;-)

But it would be amusing if we could see more electronic questions from people who need some pointing in the right direction.

However, if you feel it's juvenile, it probably is, so take it to sci.electronics.basics first. ...Jim Thompson