Further bandgap troubles

We watch it, but cost isn't my real concern here. PHUT-*BANG* is.

Stations drop off fast. I wonder if the iron in the soil (red clay) has something to do with it, as it does in the UP.

Reply to
krw

Not really. The 'R' isn't my choice at all, but the 'D' is a crook, from what I've seen. Both were bought and paid for by the teacher's unions, if that's what you mean.

Reply to
krw

I'm sure you can find the results from Europe as well as I can.

No problem with that.

Reply to
krw

gubernatorial=20

They are legally electable, just that every one of the 6 listed = candidates is unfit for the job.

Reply to
josephkk

What difference does it make? Stoned on pot, drunk on alchohol, distracted by texting or a phone call while driving - any of those that cause you to crash are bad. No statistics justify even one of the crashes attributed to any of the causes you named.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

That would explain why some make so much noise. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The jury still seems to be out on whether or not it does real harm in the same way the binge drinking (now endemic in UK youth culture) does.

I worry that cannabis may not be good for teenagers with brains still developing, but I worry more that so-called legal highs ordered off the internet as "plant food" using novel synthetic chemistry that get around our prescripitve drug laws are likely to be even more dangerous.

One thing that is certainly true is that a few years back there was someone who died of what appeared to be direct cannabis poisoning - even the cannabis advocate sites admit to that fatality:

US stats from 2002 are online at:

Actually it is not just in Europe. There are a few brave proponents of harm reduction strategies for drug users even in the USA.

The last UK drugs tsar found himself out of a job for tying to communicate risks of drug use to the public in an all too accessible way. He upset both horse riders and the victims families of Ecstacy users who have sadly died (usually of heta stress induced electrolyte imbalance through drinking too much water). Half his team resigned too since it was clear that the government did not want scientific advice.

It is rather hard to tell if there are any serious long term effects of cannabis use and there are legitimate medicinal uses from antiquity. The available largely anecdotal evidence from pressure groups on both sides of the fence is not adequate to determine safety or efficacy.

But you have to put it into perspective we know for certain that smoking tobacco seriously shortens peoples lives yet it remains legal, and drink driving whilst alcohol intoxicated kills more people than all the other illegal drugs put together. USA tried banning alcohol (a very simple molecule) and we all know how well that worked!

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

I've seen different :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

How exactly is Dale Ogden "unfit?"

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

No, you're the one making outrageous claims. The burden of proof is on you.

So put up or shut up.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

One of my favorite drives, Ely, NV to Delta, UT.

I remember crossing the Great Basin on US50, and all I was able to get was Rush Goddamn Limbaugh. That's why I carry lots of country CDs.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

A trained officer will usually find another reason to get the individual out of the driving seat, such as possession of marijuana. At least the public will be less at risk.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

How many people are killed by drugs-financed terrorism?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Yup, got the runs after a piece of pumpkin pie. Wouldn't have mattered, except it struck whilst crossing the Nevada desert on US6. No civilization for a hundred miles either direction. Funny how one of the loneliest highways in the USA suddenly becomes crowded, when you need solitude :-)

Embarrassing.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Out here in the desert Sirius-XM is almost a necessity. Though I have been known to listen to books-on-CD. ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

Say Jim,

Did you ever sign up for a lifetime Sirius subscription? Or do you still pay regularly?

I took Keith's recommendation to get a copy of O'Reilly's "Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity" on CD... listened to that?

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

In this economy I'm leery of pay-ahead schemes. Several times I've been zinged by magazines going under.

I read it in July 2009 :-) I can commiserate with Bill... he's 9 years younger, but I have matching pranks ;-)

Also read Sarah's book, "Going Rogue"

Kagan's, "The Return of History"

Levin's, "Liberty and Tyranny"

Jennings', "Censorship, The Threat to Silence Talk Radio"

Although I read them all around 45 years ago I recently again bought all the Ayn Rand books.

Maybe I should buy "Pinheads and Patriots" ??

Although, with the way things are going, the best investment portfolio is probably loaded with guns and ammo ;-) ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

I've had a Nuts & Volts magazine subscription on-and-off over the years, but I regret not getting in on the $99 lifetime subscription offer they had when I first subscribed back in the late '80s -- that would have paid for itself by now!

A couple years ago I had a subscription to "Smartphone & Pocket PC magazine," which one day decided, you know... Windows Mobile really wasn't going anywhere, let's change to go after the iPhone crowd instead. Poof! Next think you know, your remaining subscription had been converted over to, "iPhone Life" instead. Sheesh!

Thanks for the reading list... let us know if you end up getting "Pinheads and Patriots" -- with any kind of political book the, e.g., Amazon Reviews are unfortunately kinda pointless since so many people are commenting more on what they think of the author rather than the actual material.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Once the stuff is legalized out here there will probably no longer be any legal basis for the officer to do that :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It's not an outrageous claim. It's a very sensible claim, given any experience with druggies. The European studies are easy enough to find and If I gave you citations you'd just claim the authors were biased against your habit (shoot the messenger).

No.

You're welcome.

Reply to
krw