No. Well, ok, some.

Hint: Swimming Pool :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

What do you think is on TV during a hurricane?

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That swimming pool woult be full of leaves, trash and dirt during or right after a hurricane. You wouldn't be able to even find your beer. You might not even find the pool cover, pump or ladder.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, this ain't Florida. You guys probably have to watch out for other "ingredients", like a large green mouth with lots of sharp teeth jolting out of the water.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Probably lots of reporters hanging on to some pole, saying how bad it is ;-)

But seriously, to find out about emergency situations and shelters a radio is going to be just fine. And there we are always prepared.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

My pool is about 85°F right now... I like my beer (on those rare occasions where I drink beer) somewhat colder than that. ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

In the winter time when the more serious storms blow through ours is usually a balmy 50F or so, in the dead of winter we had days with ice on it. nyhow, I like my beer above 32F :-)

Even if it happened in summer, a beer at 75F-80F tastes a whole lot better than one at 100F.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Green?

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sigh. Every local radio station was off the air for weeks. The NOAA transmitter couldn't be updated, becasue of some equipment problems. What good is week old weather information?

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, or gray. For me that's roughly the same color :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Hint: The AM band can bring in stations from far, far away. The shortwave bands can bring in stations from another continent in case the whole US happens to be in a hurricane. Sometimes it's a good thing to concentrate on the basics and leave "more modern" technology alone until things get back to normal.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

They aren't a uniform color. They used to run through my yard when I lived in Lake County, as they moved from one water hole to the next.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What good does that do when you need to know about flooding, accidents and closed roads? Where to find ice or bottled water? You are absolutely clueless about what it's like until you live through one. You can make all the stupid jokes you want, but people die from the storms and the aftermath. You can't see live RADAR on a radio, to see if a tornado is about to kill you when listening to a radio station that is hundreds of miles away. AM reception was great when all the power was out. Only the occasional lightning noise. No arching insulators, or noisy ignition system on some junk car. There just wasn't anything worth listening to. No buzz wiping out the entire band from defective LED traffic lights.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I was stuck in a firehouse during a snow storm (blizzard of '78). I spent six hours going a couple of miles when they shut down the city. The FD came out and hauled everyone out of their cars and into the fire house. The cars were left, as is, in the middle of the streets. Anyway, in the firehouse rec room there was a coke machine. The captain[*] told me to try the Dr. Pepper. I hate Dr. Pepper, but $.25 for Budweiser was welcome about then.

[*] I got to know him rather well after that. He was promoted to chief, largely on the PR from that night. Some years later he sold my house so I could split town. Nice guy.
Reply to
krw

In Europe that happened at times when winter storms got really bad. You'd see busy Autobahns totally dead, with the occasional hump in the snow. Under the humps were abandoned cars.

When there were widespread power outages I sometimes showed people how to listen to the AM band. You wouldn't believe how many never ever switched their radio to AM.

I like that Dr.Pepper slot in the machine. When I was at a semiconductor (!) place they had a vending machine with five slots: White lemonade, yellow lemondade, beer, beer, beer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I guess he gets his swamp natural history from Walt Kelly ;-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Or Disney.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You see that every Winter around Buffalo and in Newfoundland.

Our power went out (again) when I was in the shower yesterday (flicked out and back on four times). It still hadn't been restored by the time I left for work so flipped over to the AM station I usually listen to on the way to work to try to catch what happened. Their power was out too. Lot of good they do. It's the only AM station in town and there are only a couple that I can get at all.

I wonder how much lemonade they went through. ;-)

Reply to
krw

[...]

Wow, you really must live in the boonies. Only two AM stations? I thought that was only possible in Siberia. Out here the AM band is 2/3 to 1/2 full during the day and 100% full after dark. And this ain't exactly a metropolis.

We also have NOAA reception which warns of really bad weather approaching and is usually quite accurate and timely.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Not really. We're 100mi from the Atlanta airport but the reception even with their 50kW boomers falls to zero about 60mi from Atlanta. The only stations I can get are the local station and one from Columbus GA, sometimes. I guess there is another automated shit-kickin' station, but no news. All of the AM stations around here are really low power. We were looking to find a 50kW boomer to do some EMI testing. Nope. All we could find was less than 1kW, and that 50mi away.

After dark is no better than mid-day. Once in a while we can get WLS out of Chicago, but that's rare and not stable. OTOH, the FM band is pretty full. It's difficult to find a good place to put my MP3 player's FM modulator.

We have sirens for emergencies, though I haven't heard them (other than the Wednesday noon tests) for 18 months. I keep meaning to buy a weather radio but haven't found one I like.

Reply to
krw