Electric scooter motor reversible?

I have not found it on the web, but the part number is XYDJ09072117 It uses this controller.

"Controller, 24v30a BG 5pin, TO/Charge Cut, (08A version)"

Basically the same as this 500 W motor.

Does just reversing the polarity of the wires going to the motor cause it to run backwards but perfectly otherwise?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

ml

p-motor.html

Overall it physically resembles a stepper motor, but it only has two wires feeding it so it is most likely a DC motor. Technically it could be a stepper motor with a controller built inside somewhere also. The specs tab on the web pages are non-functional.

There is a limit to what can be determined from a mere photograph.

The schematics of the motor and controller on page 3 of this didn't conclusively prove anything except that I didn't spot a REVERSE position.

Did you?

Reply to
Greegor

It looks like a simple brushed DC motor:

This kind of a motor will go backwards but maybe not very well. A high efficiency motor has the brushes aligned to compensate for field distortion at operating speed.

Kevin McMurtrie

They are BLDC motors and controllers- 3 phase, essentially. Swapping any 2 of the 3 wires will reverse the motor. DON'T reverse the battery , it will all go bang!!! You'd never get the wattage from that size stepper... I'd suggest that particular motor is internally geared....

Reply to
TTman

Only two wires go to the motor.

The motor is the 750 W version of this 500 W motor.

Will it run as efficiently in reverse, by simply switching the wires? Someone else is suggesting that the brushes might be aligned better for forward motion. I need to do some metal work that depends on whether the motor can run in reverse exactly the same as forward.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

There are no brushes LOL... BLDC = B rush L ess DC motor. They run in either direction with no reduction in power.

Reply to
TTman

That is a chinese POS motor that is *rated* at 336 watts max. It is chinese, and therefor you must derate it by a factor of about 75%. If you are using a chinese motor, no one here can tell you what will happen if you reverse the voltage to it.

It is unlikely that that motor has any optimization...

Reply to
PeterD

Yes I know, but that is not the subject. If you have a better motor (same size and mounting) that will live up to your standards, please feel free to send it to me.

Why is that?

--

>>Will it run as efficiently in reverse, by simply switching the
>>wires? Someone else is suggesting that the brushes might be
>>aligned better for forward motion.
>
> It is unlikely that that motor has any optimization...
>
>>I need to do some metal work
>>that depends on whether the motor can run in reverse exactly the
>>same as forward.
>>
>>Thanks.

> From: PeterD
> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> Subject: Re: Electric scooter motor reversible?
> Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 08:21:54 -0400

Reply to
John Doe

Are/were you drunk?

I gave you a direct link (right there, above this) to a brief description of the product on the distributor's website. It says "brush". Even the link says "DC_Brush_Motor".

--

> From: "TTman"
> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> Subject: Re: Electric scooter motor reversible?