Electric scooter motor reversible?

I have not found it on the web, but the part number is XYDJ09072117 It uses this controller.

"Controller, 24v30a BG 5pin, TO/Charge Cut, (08A version)"

Basically the same as this 500 W motor.

Does just reversing the polarity of the wires going to the motor cause it to run backwards but perfectly otherwise?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

That's hard to say. If it's a brushed DC motor, then yes. If it's a brushless DC motor then it's got electronics inside, and probably no.

If there's really only two pins on that connector, and that's really the only connector, then my money is on a brushed DC motor. If you can see a circuit board inside then a brushless motor becomes much more likely. If you can see brushes inside then -- well, what do you think?

If you hook it up backward and it spits and pops and a bunch of smoke pours out, then it _was_ a brushless motor, and it's _now_ a paperweight.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

It has four screws, but apparently it is glued shut.

That is the same as my 750 W version.

It is a brush motor. I will hook it up backwards and see if it turns.

What is the chance that the brushes are configured so that it runs better in the forward direction than in reverse? Experimentation can prove that I guess, as long as there is no risk of burning up the motor during a careful test. I will use the stock fuse.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

I took the opportunity to chat with whoever it is on their website, and they said it is reversible. Well, being able to reverse the motor is going to significantly help my project. Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Some of the electric motors sold for bike conversions have over-running clutches. While the motor is reversible the clutch may not be. The clutch is desirable for bicycle applications since it allows you to coast without the motor turning and adding drag. Geared down motors are often combined with clutches, since the drag is appreciable.

Reply to
default