electric heating

On Fri, 20 May 2016 08:44:55 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

Your capacity to assess a real man's attitude rests firmly at nil.

I am currently working on both blue force and red force tracking projects.

Have a nice death, idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

"Ontario ... will also require that gasoline sold in the province contain less carbon" --from the link

Cool. Mandating four times as many hydrogens per carbon atom would cut climate change by 75%. What's not to like?

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I's not only a good idea - it's the law. The rest is simply implementation.

Reply to
krw

Presumably they're talking about incorporating more ethanol, but the net carbon emission intensity reduction (as measured in kg/GJ) is pretty marginal from adding ethanol- a few percent is possible maybe.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Probably less benzene and toluene. They are closer to CH than CH2.

The problem is that 25% of the current rate of anthropogenic global warming is still global warming. We have to stop it and ideally get it going backwards.

CO2 does get absorbed as olivine weathers, and there is a Dutch professor who wants us to grind up 7 cubic kilometers of olivine every year and spread it on beaches and olivine deficient agricultural land around the world.

It's a 22 page .pdf but written so that even John Larkin could follow it.

Perfectly practical, and probably cheaper that rebuilding all our coastal cities to adapt to a not-so-eventual 10 metres of sea level rise.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney (where I live more than 10 metres above sea level).
Reply to

Well, my house is 8 years old, so...

In case you hadn't noticed, Obama hasn't reduced the political "contribution" to engineering an science.

Then I guess you're wrong.

Which means they're not used?

Must be unobtanium. I've never seen a unit with a SEER of 29 in residential service.

I suppose you've never heard of an ATM machine. Only pedantic asses make note of such usage seriously.

Yawn.

A mini-split would require a complete rebuild of the house. You fail at economics.

Reply to
krw

Just use real half-and-half and real sugar like I do! It's probably better for you.

Canada is a remarkably rational place. A little dull, but there's nothing really wrong with dull. The US has a more mixed, more restless population.

lunatic fringe electronics

What did that include? Shower? Clothes washer? Dishwasher?

The clothes washer would be relatively easy to divert; it does have the small pumped discharge line, about 20' higher than the garden.

lunatic fringe electronics

On Sun, 22 May 2016 00:02:39 -0400, Neon John Gave us:

Wrong.... It was because R12 got made illegal. All that Chlorinated Fluorocarbon rigmarole.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You can also think about cogeneration this way:

1.) The low value heat is distributed by water pipes to the neighborhoods of the power plant. 2.) The high value electricity can much easier transported by copper wires for much longer distances than is economical to transfer hot water and can easily converted to heat by resistive heaters or heat pumps.

The problem with cogeneration is that there is not usually equal demand for heat and power, unless the electricity is also used for resistive heaters or heat pumps.

Reply to
upsidedown

Modern air to air heat pumps work quite well down to say -10 C or -15 C outdoor temperatures, but are as bad as resistive heaters at -30 C outdoor temperatures.

Reply to
upsidedown

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 2:17:48 AM UTC+10, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wr ote:

Which got into the stratosphere and damaged the ozone layer. At one point t he ozone hole over Antarctica got big enough to include Tasmania (where I g rew up, and got enough UV that I've had two skin cancers removed in recent years - both basal cell carcinomas and not in the least exciting).

You may understand it as rigmarole, but H.S. Johnson (who was one of the re ferees for my Ph.D. thesis) was one of the chemists who worked out what was going on. The knowledge may not have percolated down to you yet - in the s ame way that John Larkin hasn't yet understood the scientific basis for ant hropogenic global warming - but the explanation is long and complicated be cause the process of ozone creation and depletion is complicated.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Sun, 22 May 2016 15:39:12 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org Gave us:

Trust me... I said rigmarole, but I know full well what the damage was.

There is a HUGE ozone hole over Antarctica, and the space shuttle early missions spotted it as did SkyLab.

What they also spotted and what I feel to be even worse is that there is also a HUGE Chlorine cloud down there with it.

We should have huge Dirigibles with scrubbers on them down there raking it out of the sky.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

With all your superior knowledge and expertise, you should be able to design the required hardware. But, with your personality, no one would listen to your presentation.

Reply to
John S