electric heating

In most engineering situations, a 10% improvement is a good deal. 100% is fabulous. Plus, gas is clean, practically no particulates. CO2 is probably net beneficial, but particulates are nasty.

CH4. The best way to transport hydrogen.

lunatic fringe electronics

Clothesline? :)

Reply to
mrdarrett

John Larkin schrieb:

That depends on the heat reservoir. When you pump heat from outside into a house, the environment will cool down and requires additional heating energy. Consider that the degree of heat is unbounded, but degree of coldness is (0 K).

Using a heat sink, what size would be required to heat a room to 30C while keeping the heat sink at a temperature above the freezing point of water? As soon as ice starts covering the heat sink, it will become very inefficient till inoperative - see your refrigerator.

DoDi

Reply to
Hans-Peter Diettrich

Only somebody as as incorrigibly ignorant as John Larkin could assert that "CO2 is probably net beneficial".

He read it on a denialist web-site once and still won't admit that it was a lie, designed to let the fossil carbon extraction industry keep on selling fossil carbon to be burnt as fuel for a few more years.

It has been explained to him - repeatedly - that he's being stupid, but he' s a narcissist, and feels that admitting that he's been stupid would worse for his image than persisting in his stupidity.

Perhaps. Nature stores it underwater in ice clathrates, so one of the side effects of global warming is likely to be large methane burps as the oceans warm up.

This may be what drove the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum. The carbon iso tope ratios shifted while the warming as going on in away that suggests tha t there was a lot more methane around than usual, so we could stack a natur al temperature spike on top of our anthropogenic one.

Which John Larkin imagines will be entirely beneficial ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

2kW for a small room 4 for a big room, if you've got resistive heating you don't warm the whole house...

that's peak. not constant.

I found that 240W was enough to maintain the temperature in my bedroom

160W TV 20W computer, 60W lamp... a lot depends on insulation...

at some projected minimum temperature.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Near/in Helsinki there is a science museum with an exhibit that I liked. It showed how you could make hydrogen from water and use it to fire a little rocket up to the ceiling. What I liked about it is that you had to generate the electricity to separate the hydrogen by turning a crank on a generator by hand, so that by the time you had enough hydrogen to fire the tiny little plastic toy rocket, you would also have a really sore arm and a good understanding of how powering things with hydrogen doesn't solve the world's energy problems.

Reply to
Chris Jones

The place is called Heureka . It is slightly north of the northern city border of Helsinki, in a town called Vantaa.

On topic:

In Finland, we heat the houses with the waste heat from electric power plants. The combined efficiency (heat + electricity) in nearly 90%.

There is a pretty similar method in Reykjavik, Iceland, but, as there is plenty of heat available from the earth, the waste heat is put into pipes under the streets and then into the Atlantic. The Reykjavik Power Company owns a volcano (Hengill) about 40 km east of the city, and there are two power plants on its sides (Nesjavellir, Hellisheidi). The Nesjavellir power plant produces 380 MW of heat and 120 MW of electric power.

--

-TV
Reply to

Hot water tanks are usually located close to the places where the hot water is used, in the heated areas of the house - the minimum temperature is goi ng to be the temperature at which you feel comfortable, rather that the som ewhat wider range that something mounted outside the house might encounter.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Mon, 16 May 2016 08:58:39 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

That is why a 100W actual nichrome heating element will heat a 1 cubic yard box faster than a 100W light bulb will. I NEVER said that they would not reach the same temperature eventually.. All I said was that the time for such an interval would be different.

KRW started calling me names and the entire group of idiots who followed the retarded dumbfuck.

Now here you are saying essentially the same thing I said, except you "took a course".

I took no course, but I did work at an infra-red thermometry instrument maker and we also made calibration sources. We also made a device to look at the Space Shuttle Launch Pad from 1000 feet away. That is a very small amount of "signal" to discern instrument quality 'facts' from. Calibrating an instrument with such a long focus is also a challenge. Especially in a mere 100 foot long lab or production floor.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Mon, 16 May 2016 08:58:39 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

Liquid Sodium and underground storage "heat capacitors".

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Two of my uncles and an aunt died of asphyxiation caused by a space heater.

Reply to
John S

On Mon, 16 May 2016 19:21:42 -0400, krw Gave us:

The only thing wrong with geothermal is the ground it is on is typically unstable.

However, a huge 400 mile wide salt dome exhibits hundreds of degrees as one nears its 'core' and it is quite stable physically speaking.

They could easily tap this heat to pre-heat the water a steam turbine uses and thereby reduce the amount of needed energy to produce said steam.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That's true around here, too; I remember "Esso Blue". (And I'm a poet but didn't know it")

But back then the houses were very draughty, so there was through ventilation.

Now about 30 people/year die from CO poisoning in the UK; 10 years ago it was 40/year.

Tom Gardner

Liquid sodium would work, but any water leakage might be tricky.

Eutectic mixtures of molten salts are more popular.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman

You first. Save the planet for us.

lunatic fringe electronics

I know that the UK often distributed coal gas, which had a lot of CO in it. That's why British murder mysteries have people turning on the gas to kill other people. Natural gas is mostly methane and nitrogen and maybe some longer-chain hydrocarbons, not inherently toxic. An oxygen-starved gas flame can make CO, which is why unvented gas heaters have O2/CO detectors now.

Does UK gas still have CO?

We have CO detectors around the house.

lunatic fringe electronics

On Tue, 17 May 2016 06:58:40 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org Gave us:

It isn't table salt, idiot. It IS liquid Sodium.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Why would there be a difference?

lunatic fringe electronics

Ok I'll try :D

Oh! Almost forgot.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Sodium nitrate melts at around 300C. I played with it at the university. Fun stuff. We had to turn the heating element on in the morning, then in t he afternoon the salt (err, sodium nitrate, not sodium chloride) was melted , and we could do our polyethylene pyrolysis experiments then.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett