electric heating

We've used methane "natural gas" or "north sea gas" since the mid

70s. Coal as a fuel is almost extinct here, and we will have to import more LPG.

My local city's gasworks is only just being converted into luxury flats/offices, after being derelict since before the mid 80s.

It has also become more difficult for the middle class to commit suicide relatively painlessly and discretely by turning on the car engine in a closed garage :)

Only in faulty appliances.

Many places here do; I don't bother, partly because my house is on an exposed hillside :) I'm /more/ worried about radon :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On Tue, 17 May 2016 09:20:46 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

The resistive nichrome wire is meant as a heating element and exhibits nearly all of the heat generated into it directly out into the air from IR emissions.

The light bulb is encapsulated in a glass shroud within a vacuum and most of the filament's heat gets conducted into the mechanical elements of the bulb's mounting hardware and that is decidedly a far less emissive medium. So the box heats up fast with the heating element and far slower with the bulb, even though after whatever number of minutes or hours the final settled temperature is nearly the same.

Again. I have always known that "Watts is Watts".

The difference is the settling time, and that was all I ever argued.

The retarded punks in the group are almost as stupid as Donald Trump, however, and there are those days when you number among them.

I am not a technician, which you so often contend, like a presumptuous little punk.

I am not in possession of a fetish either, which accusing people of is apparently a fetish which *you* possess.

Your on again off again maturity level is quite questionable and hard to ever dismiss, which is why you rarely get a response from me.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yeah, when I get cancer or some other untreatable medical problem, that's the way out for me.

Reply to
John S

Then you don't know much. A watt is a joule*second.

Reply to
John S

On Tue, 17 May 2016 12:07:13 -0500, John S Gave us:

Go buy a lightning rod and climb a nice tall mountain and hold it up high and let God decide.

Less clean up that way too.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Make it look like an accident or your life insurance won't pay. I think a lot of single-car road fatalities are actually suicides.

Take up skydiving and go in style.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

A light bulb has low thermal mass, and the visible+IR radiated component of its output hits the walls of the box almost instantly. In practise, the difference will be small.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I do not think anyone said table salt. How about glauber salts? a popular salt for heat storage.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

On Tue, 17 May 2016 11:30:06 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

Wrong. In practice, the difference is significant. They are specifically designed to NOT be IR emitters.

But then, you do not even know how to spell practice.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

e ground temperature lags the surface temperature by six months.

it changes the temperature much - the main point about buried heat exchang ers is that they aren't anything like as hot as outside air in summer or as cold as outside air in winter.

What Bill doesn't realize is that the lag is close to one month not six mon ths.

See

for actual data.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

It's nice to know that some things never change. AlwaysWrong *still* can't read.

Reply to
krw

They may be "400% efficient" if it's warm enough outside to not need heat. ;-)

Reply to
krw

It's been quite common, for at least the last 20-30 years anyway.

Reply to
krw

There's quite a bit of cogeneration in places like New York City, too.

Reply to
krw

You're a bloody idiot, DimBulb.

You *are* a dim bulb, DimBulb. You just proved it again.

It's not clear that you didn't take a course but it's clear you haven't learned *anything*. It's apparently not possible, DimBulb.

Reply to
krw

You're always wrong, DimBulb.

Reply to
krw

the ground temperature lags the surface temperature by six months.

at it changes the temperature much - the main point about buried heat excha ngers is that they aren't anything like as hot as outside air in summer or as cold as outside air in winter.

onths.

What Dan doesn't realise is that the lag depends on depth. The 18 inches wa s for a particular soil in a particular place (and from the search results is unusually shallow).

This does illustrate the lag, but doesn't quantify it in any easily accessi ble way, or give a general oversight of what's going on.

The second result from a google search - in which Dan's url was the first - is rather more informative.

Dan's dim, and this illustrates it once again.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Den onsdag den 18. maj 2016 kl. 01.11.03 UTC+2 skrev krw:

I think most modern heat pumps are around 400% at around 0'C

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Den onsdag den 18. maj 2016 kl. 01.19.08 UTC+2 skrev krw:

we have a powerplant a cement factory and a trash burning plant all supplying to district heating

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

isoning-over-winter

The UK converted from town gas - mostly "water gas" which did contain a lot of carbon monoxide - to natural gas from 1967 to 1977. It was a massive op eration - every gas appliance in the country got new burners, or got replac ed by something that could burn natural gas safely. It was still going on w hen I moved to the UK, but none the places I lived in were converted while I was living there.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman