cold!

Yikes.

Good thing we have all that natural gas; we will be needing it. Windmills and solar cells won't keep us alive in a massive blizzard.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

2/

Maybe to a brain dead ignorant moron like you...residential energy use coul d be reduced to 1% of what it is now with modern construction practices. Th is is America and the corruption in the construction industry rivals that o f Defense, meaning it's not going to happen. The IRC is in process of outri ght doubling the minimum insulation requirements, that will help some.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

You can have a house built right up to the highest standards you want to pay for. You didn't want the evil construction industry to pay for it, did you?

Mikek

amdx

2/

We're (Buffalo) caught in the same cold vortex... daily highs in the single digits (F). Yesterday morning it was -9.9 F at my house. Today it was a balmy +10 F... amazing how warm +10 F feels after -10 F. Saturday or Sund ay it might get above 20 F here... Tee shirt weather :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

you can choose to pay the evil construction industry up front or the evil energy industry a little at a time.

here adding insulation to old houses is pretty much a no brainer since it will pay it self in very few years

what are the requirements for insulation in the US? (I know it probably varies wildly...)

here I believe a u-value equivalent to something like ~300mm rock-wool is required for a new house, and something like ~60kWh/m^2/year for a ~150M^2 single family house for heating,cooling,ventilation and hotwater

a 2015 "low energy" house about half that

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Meh. I've experienced -26F, there -- with a windchill of -83. Exposed flesh warnings of *3* minutes! You get used to the cold. So much so that "freezing" almost feels warm!

Amusingly, my *high* (here) was 117F -- exactly a 200 degree spread! Of course, THI was also 117 so nothing to push that figure higher...

You've obviously never experienced a natural gas outage? I.e., when you and many thousands of your neighbors have NO HEAT (because the demand exceeds the capacity of the pipelines). Amusing (though not particularly *comfortable*) experience as you might expect a *power* outage but not a *gas* outage!

Reply to
Don Y

You guys build doorways on the second floor, right?

It was tee shirt weather in Truckee this weekend. Unfortunately that was on the ski slopes. Skiing's more fun dodging grass and rocks. I'm afraid to look at the bottoms of my skis.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

bloggs has his head so far up his butt that all he can see is brown

Here, in Arizona, the competition by home builders is intense to compete on offering the lowest energy home.

My energy bill (all electric) for our new house (sq.ft. ~70% of our previous house) is running at just over 25% of previous house, so ~36% on a sq.ft. basis)

And it's so airtight we have a fresh air system on a controller to bring in fresh air. ...Jim Thompson

That's not necessarily a joke. My Great-Aunt Mathilda Bland (lived to

108, could remember seeing Lincoln come by on the campaign train when she was 8 years old :-)... her house was at about the 4500' level (a few miles from Spruce Knob *, WV), had doors on the second floor, for just such occasions.

...Jim Thompson

Exactly! Amazes me how easily you adapt to "relative" changes. I wear T-shirts every day, here -- even on "cold" Winter days (of course, 80F today doesn't qualify as "cold"). Yet, the "locals" consider 50F *cold* and will actually wear *gloves* when temps dip to the 40's.

[I will concede to wearing a winter jacket when I'm outside at 2AM in 20F weather *spraying* the citrus trees with a fine water mist to help protect them from the temps. But, taking out the trash in that same weather doesn't warrant a jacket (or even *shoes*!)]
Reply to
Don Y

Actually, no, except once briefly when the gas lines were upgraded. They poked high-pressure yellow plastic tubes inside the old iron pipes underground, and put regulators at each house.

Of course, our gas furnaces need electricity too, but we can always run the gas stove, and a fireplace, to make some heat.

It hardly ever freezes in San Francisco, and the houses are mostly in contact, townhouse style, so cold is not life-threatening. I can imagine places where one has to make plans for cold without power.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

area/523072/

Wow... Bloggs gets another one wrong.

Wow... Bloggs gets one right.

What we should be using is hemp fiber, not pine.

'particle board' made from pine chips and decades old binding media has a terrible R factor compared to 'particle board' constructed from hemp fiber and better modern binding media.

It is like comparing sheet Aluminum to a carbon fiber panel.

Chill out with the degradation, and you'll appear to be a lot smarter person to those whom would peruse the group not already knowing you.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Now all you need is an expensive BB-Gun and you can join the Olympics. (cue 007 music)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

More support for my theory of "Global Cooling"

Here in Northern Ohio, we are finally having a Winter like those of my Childhood. The wonderful winters when the local school district used a Front End Loader to clean the playground. The operator was adept at building us huge snow mounds to slide on.

Of course in one of those winters, the Blizzard of 76, I broke an Ankle climbing to the cookie jar in the high cupboard. It took four State of Ohio plows ahead of the ambulance to get me to the hospital. That cookie was NOT worth it. :-)

I have four inches of ice under the snow.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 1:45:05 PM UTC-5, Jim Thompson wrote: .

You don't know anything about it, lame brain. And it's not called "bring fr esh air in," it's called ventilation, and it's not a simple process, there is energy recovery in the ventilation, cooling incoming air during cooling season and heating incoming air during heating season. Phoenix does not have a significant heating season, and cooling season any where is never as taxing as an extreme heating season in habitable areas of the planet, except possibly the Sahara.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It has more to do with construction 30 years behind the times creating the need for a much more expensive energy infrastructure than is necessary, whether or not your individual residence is conservative.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

3072/

gle digits (F). Yesterday morning it was -9.9 F at my house. Today it was a balmy +10 F... amazing how warm +10 F feels after -10 F. Saturday or S unday it might get above 20 F here... Tee shirt weather :^)

Grin, there aint much of a 2nd floor on our ranch house.

Well I assume no spring skiing here yet...KB is reporting 2-6' of base.

Back when I skied I had an old pair of "rock" skis for the spring.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

:

What are you talking about, idiot? Learn the difference between structural and insulating materials. OSB is NOT particle board, and the so-called hemp you keep hearing about only has 2% the THC content of the south American v ariety so don't wet your pants with excitement over it being legalized.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Hi Don, Well I might have been exaggerating about Tee shirts :^) I'm basically a temperature wimp (I need to be warm). The long Johns go on in October and don't come off till April.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 2:37:37 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@Steve.com w rote:

Childhood. The wonderful winters when the local school district used a Fr ont End Loader to clean the playground. The operator was adept at building us huge snow mounds to slide on.

e climbing to the cookie jar in the high cupboard. It took four State of Oh io plows ahead of the ambulance to get me to the hospital. That cookie w as NOT worth it. :-)

Northern Ohio? Gimme a break, the place doesn't even reach Ontario. It's li ke saying Northern Bahamas.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred