Drill Now for oil

If we all grow hemp, all our problems will go away...once we smoke it.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Jim's in Arizona, not Florida. ;-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

My ignition systems NEVER misfire ;-)

Perhaps... I'm nearly high-frequency deaf in my left ear, so I can't hear the "clicker".

...Jim Thompson

|        America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave         |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

The tax revenues went up because of the bogus dot.com boom and the Enron-type scandals, enabled by Clinton-promoted changes in banking and securities regulation, the same changes that gave us the current real-estate fiasco. Bush inherited the falling edge of that boom, the crash.

Increasing tax rates most always increases short-term tax revenue. But wait a while, and the longer-term compensations and damages settle in. Just consider the case of 100% tax on corporate profits.

Corporate profits shouldn't be taxed at all.

The time constants for stuff like this is complex, like a diffusion phenomenon, but must be in the decade sort of range.

John

Securities fraud is a bit different from stating an opinion about climate dynamics. Debating science shouldn't be a crime, any more than it should be a career-ending act for a scientist.

What SOX has done is make a lot of accounts and lawyers a lot of money, and made it impossible for medium-sized companies to go public.

John

Yes I do. Anyone with two neurons to rub together can see what=20 happens EVERY TIME taxes are cut; tax revenue increases.

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

Like hell! Of course the weenies don't like simple facts of life.

Keith
Reply to
krw

Hmmm. Preemptive strike?

Reply to
JosephKK

I think you should check the timing better. Dot.com went dot.bomb near the beginning of Clinton years. The Clinton boom was from balancing the budget. The Bush recession is straightforwardly the result of his war deficits. Bush required FERC to NOT respond to Enron until it was blown and then some. If you think there was some prior changes in laws or regulations leading this, you are asked to show it. And keep track of who was in charge of Congress at which time, the President cannot Legislate nor regulate.

Reply to
JosephKK

I drove a rental car some years back. I was sitting at a light intending to turn right once the the light changed and all those others got out of my way. Suddenly the radio speaker started going "BLAT! BLAT! BLAT" loud enough that I jumped. It was some sort of "you've left the turn signal on" warning.

Reply to
MooseFET

We have them on the California highways too. Unfortunately, if you want to go somewhere you have to drive even if it would be better if you didn't.

Reply to
MooseFET

See you have to make up reasons why the economy improved when taxes where increased.

.. and you have to make up reasons for the poor economy under Bush.

But ... but .. but that has never been demonstrated to have happened in real life.

For that matter on the capital gains rate the exact inverse happens. People can move the transactions into the year with the low rates. As a result at the point of change, a lot of activity is moved to the low rate year making that year have the higher income from the tax. In the following years the effect goes away and the results are more taxes produces more income as one would expect.

We are not talking about the extreme case. We are talking about the oft made, but unsupported claim that we are already on the far side of the peak.

On what basis do you make that claim?

Why do you assert that? You have incorrectly identified taxes and not nonproductive spending as the problem.

Reply to
MooseFET

Yes the war is a classic case of nonproductive spending. Bush also staffed up all the parts of the government with the massively incompetent. I sometimes wonder how much that changed the balance between the productive and nonproductive spending.

Bush also trash talked the economy a lot during the election. He was a regular Chicken Little about there being a down turn coming.

McCain's adviser Phil Gramm was up to his neck in that mess. He got rich out of it.

Reply to
MooseFET

Republicans who have drunk the Kool-aid simply refuse to see that one of their pet ideas has been disproved by facts on the ground. They are in the ballroom of the Titanic and are chanting "there is no iceberg, there is no iceberg" with their fingers in there ears.

It isn't taxes it is nonproductive spending that is the long term drag on the economy.

Reply to
MooseFET

the negative

ying

hem

the

Having been there (VP-Engineering, Billion dollar public company), I can state with absolute certainty....

1 - Greed knows no boundaries. 2 - In order to survive these days, one MUST know how to navigate very complex financing (futures, derivatives, etc..), and have access to tax savy experts.

The problem of course is that while the American "economy" has largely transformed itself into a financial services enterprise (i.e., less manufacturing, less everything else) - the average worker doesn't understand how to function in that environment.

The result is a work force that cannot compete in the economy - and unfortunately, that leaves them ripe for abuse. (The rich get richer, the poor get screwed.)

Gee, now I sound like a Republican..!! :(

Reply to
mpm

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@d77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

Industrial hemp has too little THC to have any effect on your mood.

Growing hemp would be a good idea but far from the cure all it is suggested it would be.

Canola may be as good on balance but someone may get all spun up about it being a GM crop. I think you get more oil out than it takes to grow it.

Reply to
MooseFET

Anyone whose ever driven I-95 in South Florida will surely know that turn signals are entirely optional!

Reply to
mpm

Oops. "who's". ? What a weird error to make.

Reply to
mpm

A bogus stock-market boom, with taxes on fictitious profits, is not "the economy improved." Look at the graphs; things started to tank in

1999. California had the same dynamics: a fake business boom, huge resulting tax revenues on paper profits, corresponding irreversable ratcheting-up of government spending, and a huge mess now.

What most people don't realize is that systems have time responses.

John

Manufacturing has been steadily leaving the USA for decades now. That's why we have a rust belt.

Because people need jobs, and don't get them when corporations wither or leave. The sensible, but politically impossible, tax is sales tax. If a person or corporation doesn't spend, they must invest.

US corporations can't compete against low-taxed or subsidized foreign firms if thay pay huge taxes; so they don't. So the jobs leave. It's just smart to have low taxes on employers, but everybody hates "corporations" so think they are clever in taxing the hell out of business large and small. They're not.

Most governmant spending is unproductive; lots is counter-productive. Do you think those Congressmen actually understand economics, or care if they do? They are in the campaign funding, vote buying business.

I run a business. I know that it takes years for a product line to taper off in sales. I know that if I invest in equipment and development and people it will take years to pay off. Increase my taxes now, and I'll do what it takes to compensate: hire less, outsource more, develop less, sometimes waste more (after all, everything is 50% off!) Tax me now and tax revenus goes up, instantly. But it sure won't stay at that level forever; I can promise that. How could it, when I have less to work with?

Circuits have components other than resistors; systems have time-dependent responses.

John

Do you equate profit with greed? The moderator of both is competition.

Unfortunately so. I'm spending more money on accountants, estate planners, lawyers, insurance trusts, family trusts, and similar crap than it would cost to hire another engineer. All so that my kids are not crushed by taxes on illiquid assets, taxes that they haven't the assets to pay.

Function? It's not productive. We can't create wealth by all being financial consultants to our next-door neighbor. Somebody has to make stuff and grow stuff, if we want things and food.

Everyone should get richer. It's not a zero-sum game.

John