Drill Now for oil

John:

Now am I am not an accountant, but I do own and run a small corporation (much smaller than yours) and I have some questions.

1) Are we talking city, county, state, or Federal income taxes or Estate taxes?

If income then the following questions/comments apply:

2) Twice taxed for cash on hand? My taxes are based on the income I earn, not my assets. I was a C corp for the first 10 years then switched to an S corp. As a C corp, my retained earnings were taxed again if they were distributed to me personally. The C corp had the advantage of a lower tax rate at the initial income tiers. It did allow me to build up a working capital fund. Then I switched to an S corp and the earnings simply pass through.

3) Equipment and Inventory: For the most part, we stuff everything into the Section 179 deduction, and the rest goes into the depreciation schedule which distributes the deduction over several years. But it is still deductible. And the balance sheet shows the current asset value. When fully deducted, it is zero.

If Estate then the following applies:

I know that the 3.5 million dollar exemption should cover most of what I would reasonably expect to pass along to my heirs. Anything after that is still only a percentage. If you need to pick a year, the 2010 looks like the year to die. If I had a partner, then I suspect I would have an Buy/Sell agreement and some insurance in place to make a smooth transition. That takes care of the early accidental death part, but not advanced geezerhood. like working until I die.

But I do not have a partner. For me, the business dies when I die. It should. It was a manifestation of my ability and desire. If anyone sees value in it, then they should step up to the plate and negotiate to buy it from the estate and grow it from there. They would have a much better start at it than I did.

People can easily be paired into two groups based on the answer to "How Much is Enough?" Some can name a figure and be comfortable with that. Most people, I suspect, would reply, "There is never enough".

The issue with Taxes is that is costs money to run a country. We are the source of those funds. Politically, we push unpleasantness into the future rather than deal with it. We want all the benefits but are unwilling to pay the necessary costs. But we are inconsistent as a people. We complain about taxes and spending but piss away endless money on fraudulent wars. Money and the power it confers dictates the direction the country takes, not the taxpayers footing the bill. Until that changes, all the we get out the exchange is a feeling of being fleeced.

Blakely

-- Blakely LaCroix Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Reply to
Blakely LaCroix

Yup. The life insurance occurred to me as a way of transferring money, but that has to be extracted from the business first, which doesn't save the business.

Not that your tax planning is any of our business. It isn't. I didn't mean to delve, just commiserate.

And yes, cats are livestock. Saddle 'em up and see!

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Indeed! There's a nice cartoon in circulation regarding "herding" cats ;-)

...Jim Thompson

|        Vote Barack... Help Make America an Obama-nation        |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

An activity wot has much in common with managing programmers. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Because they figure your primary motivation for creating jobs is to make more money for yourself -- more money than what those jobs will pay! -- and that's inherently "bad" to "progressives" who want to "level the playing field" with everyone making roughly the same amount -- regardless of your work ethic or ingenuity. :-(

Reply to
Joel Koltner

SO you're claiming that Republican == Conservative? NeoCon == Conservative? Rockefeller Republican == Conservative???? IOW, you're full of shit too.

I wish you folks would get your pejoratives straight.

More of the same claptrap.

"My" allowable. I said it's better than tax and spend, but in no way condone the "spend" part. Conservatives don't like taxes, to be sure, but would like a *lot* less spending to go along with it. Liberals never saw a tax or a money sink that wasn't goodness. Even those that have failed for decades.

Bullshit. He governed middle-road, only when he had Newt to hold his feet to the fire. He *never* would have signed "welfare reform" without a political gun to his head.

--
Keith
Reply to

To cats, we are livestock.

John

com

g term drag

dif?

ing - they

ts. =A0This

ce-

ld be

he

Good thing there aren't any "neocons" around.

Good thing that "neocons" don't exist.

You live in a fantasy world. That's the DemonRATS' MO.

Sounds like Demonrats to me. =20

Hmm, when did "scientist" become synonymous with "weenie".

Only because it's run by the teacher's unions.

You're talking about Demonrats again.

...as high as you are.

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

Anything I can do to pay you back.

--
Keith
Reply to

They can be more than livestock, they can inherit quite directly. It has happened before. Be very careful if you choose that route.

Reply to
JosephKK