Drill Now for oil

Nuke... nuke... nuke... Iran ;-)

...Jim Thompson

|        Vote Barack... Help Make America an Obama-nation        |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

.

Enjoy it??! Hell, I can't even "feel" it. Not after the reaming we got from the Republicans...

At least the Democrats don't make you bend all the way over to your ankles. =2E...an important consideration for some of us with a few extra pounds. Ha!!

You know I'm just kidding right, Jim?

Reply to
mpm

"Joel Koltner" wrote in news:q8X8k.196756$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-04.dc.easynews.com:

And you talk about US being heavyhanded....

YIKES,are you misinformed. Things have been going quite well over in Iraq,their government is meeting more and more of the "benchmarks" that Democrats were overwrought about,they are moving to take control and disarm the sectarian militias.

read this about Al-Qaida and defeat;

k1OWY=

A fair number of released detainees HAVE been recaptured or killed during their combat against US troops.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim, let's just take an easy one (one I never see addressed, let alone answered on US television)

Does Baghdad even have electricity? A city of about 5 Million people. And I mean normal electricity, like you would expect in any other city that size.

I'm not saying that's the benchmark, but I'd really like to know.

Reply to
mpm

.

s.

out

rights come

n this

d that

to WW II vs.

he old

ever

nd to

of

ven

=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF= =BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD ...Jim Thompson

=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD = =EF=BF=BD | =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BDmens =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD |

=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD |= =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD et =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD|

=EF=BF=BDmanus =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD|

=EF=BF=BD| =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD |

ss Rat =EF=BF=BD|

2 =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD |

=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF= =BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF= =BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD = =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD|

an Obama-nation =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD|

=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF= =BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF= =BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD = =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD|

=EF=BF=BD|- Hide quoted text -

I'm going to say it again.. How did our oil get under their sand in the first place? :(

Reply to
mpm

What? Me kid ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | | | | Vote Barack... Help Make America an Obama-nation | | | | Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked! |

that

old

quoted text -

You need to pay attention... and grow up ;-)

What percentage of our oil comes from Iraq?

BTW... Why is it that your reader is barfing on ordinary characters and regurgitating "?" all over the place ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

|        Vote Barack... Help Make America an Obama-nation        |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

I heard a guy on NPR, perhaps a year or two ago?, the President of IEEE. He'd traveled to Iraq to report on the power grid.

His take? More total power was being generated than ever, and many areas newly had electricity where they had never had it before.

Baghdad, however, had less. Why? Saddam insisted Baghdad get its fill first, at the expense of all sorts of rural communities.

I'm sure the interview's on the NPR website somewhere.

HTH, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

According to the Energy Information Administration, 2007 was the most- drilled year since the 80's.

Richard Henry

m...

.

are out

s come

.

ill

eled that

"

W II vs.

m the old

to ever

ten

found to

est of

, even

de quoted text -

[...]

I really don't know what's up with this newsreader (Google). Sometimes it works OK, and other times it's a real piece of s^it. SED is really the only newsgroup I read (because it covers so many topics!!), so I never bothered with newsreader software. I just use the groups.google.com URL and flame away. :)

I don't know what percentage of our oil comes from Iraq. I'll bet it is quite low.

To further my thoughts about all this (all joking aside), oil is expensive. So all these "approaches" that simply keep us on expensive oil are stupid in my opinion. I do think Obama is right when he labels the gas tax holiday simply another form of government subsidy to continue (in fact encourage?) consumption.

Unless we find (or produce, deliver, whatever) so much oil that the price clearly comes down -- and that doesn't seem to be on the horizon

-- I think we should SERIOUSLY start changing gears and look for alternative fuels. Not additives, fillers or extenders (ethonol?) -- which is really just another bridge to stay hooked. Not corn or switchgrass, which will exaserbate world hunger. Not coal gasification, whose sulfur content merely shifts the problem to clean air and water. I mean nuclear, wind, solar. And of course, that means electric, or at least electric/hybrid cars.

But I'm old enough now to know that this Country is screwed up - no matter who's at the helm. We're going to suck the Middle East oil tit dry (in concert with China and India), and oil will be the cause of the next great war. Oil has been dictating our foreign policy for decades, and it's only getting worse with time. (The politics of oil.)

The upside is there's too many people on the planet anyway, so maybe the next war will have a silver lining. Though it seems we'd have evolved to the point where population (and the problems that brings) could be managed a better way.

In a totally separate matter, my blood boils when I see ads on TV by the big oil companies touting their advances in renewables and alternative fuels. What? Like we didn't get a good enough fu^king from 'em the first time around? I'd like to see a law banning their participation and let free enterprise take over. I'll wager it would be a VAST improvement over the status quo!! -mpm

Reply to
mpm

ting

s.

its fill

No, I meant electric restoration since "Mission Accomplished", or whatever endpoint you want to use. Maybe I didn't read your response right?

Nearly half the country's population is in Baghdad (from memory, correct me if I'm wrong). I'm wondering if a Billion reconstruction dollars later they (Baghdad) have electricity? Not nameplate or generated capacity. The stuff that could actually cook a goat in some Iraqi kitchen. (Gee, that sounded racist, but I hope you get my question.)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Some people--like Al Gore--have blamed them for blocking alternatives. It's nonsense, but it probably stings. And Congress has been straight-out threatening them.

They've been criticized, called evil, by people who do nothing. So they're responding. Seems reasonable.

If we need it, and they make it possible, where's the gripe?

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Yes, that's what I meant--post-invasion power production.

And I assume it's even more now.

Since I wasn't clear the first time I should make clear that under Saddam Baghdad got ALL the electricity, so Baghdad was very well off.

That's no longer true--rural power stations now serve their local communities, and Baghad no longer gets their power.

So, lots of places get service through part of the day where they never had any before.

Baghdad had 24/7 service under Saddam, but at the expense of the rest of the country. Now they have reduced service.

Total generated power, though, is up; it's just distributed more fairly.

So said the president of the IEEE, anyhow.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

My mistake...it was the executive editor of IEEE Spectrum, NPR's "Talk of The Nation", Feb 10, 2006.

It's quite long--35 minutes.

I'll transcribe a few minutes to save everyone some time (sorry if it's a little rough):

~~~~

10:26 "This is probably one of the biggest misconceptions that people have about power in Iraq. Before the first Gulf War Iraq had somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000+ megawatts, 56-hundred I think is a figure I've seen.

Before the second Gulf War Iraq had something like

45-hundred megawatts of power. Um, Iraq has a population of about 25 million people--this is not a lot of power for that number of people.

So let's just say that even 5,000 megawatts--which is what Iraq had before the first war, and what Iraq had as recently as October--when I was over there--they had about 5,000 megawatts.

What was going on then was, in Saddam's day, Saddam decided that parts of Baghdad were going to get

20-to-24 hours of power a day. And they did. However, in order to do that, major portions of the rest of the country had to get 3 hours a day, or 6 hours a day, or 8 hours a day of power.

The way Iraq is set up, um--historically and traditionally and even to this day--the way Iraq is set up electrically is that there were large numbers of oil-fired plants in the South, the predominately Shiite south, and there were many hydroelectric plants in the north, uh, which is partially Kurdish, and lots of their power was being funneled to Baghdad."

So that Baghdad... there weren't that many plants around Baghdad, not nearly enough. Baghdad is 40% of Iraq's electrical demand. So there weren't nearly enough electrical plants around Baghdad.

So, under Saddam, that's the way it was.

Now, with the Shiite south and the Kurdish north, with much greater autonomy, they're getting much more of the power. I was told on pretty good authority while I was there that parts of the Shiite south were getting 15 hours of power a day. As opposed to say 6 or so, in Saddam's era." ~~~

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

James Arthur wrote in news:_4Y8k.72$4J.14@trnddc05:

besides,just because ONE benchmark wasn't met completely means that - everything- was for naught? I don't believe that. That is what liberals seem to demand....when THEY aren't running the show.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

term drag

f?

g - they

. =A0This

act

,
.

if

d,

There is a lot of politics in economics. Economists almost always believe economic theories that support their political beliefs. The is also an element of religion in it. The have faith in their models beyond anything that can be proven in the real world.

Reply to
MooseFET

On Jun 26, 10:41=A0am, John Larkin wrote: [...]

Change "many" to "most" and I think you are closer to the truth. They can't vote but just about everything else they can do.

Reply to
MooseFET

Sure, but at least you can concentrate on what you do best.

Although unless you're doing something high risk to the public (eg. food preparation) or employees (eg. construction) IME those guys are busy enough they mostly just leave you alone if things are reasonable (no obvious hazards). Electronics and light assembly, and mechanical assembly are pretty 'clean' and safe processes compared to many out there. Most places have their inspectors spread pretty thin.

The two sure things in life..

The cost of the product isn't the critical point- you need to allow $30-$150 per hour overheaded cost for labor. If you can hire a relatively unskilled and uneducated employee and they can make 100 of your product an hour, it could sell for a fairly low price. There are still companies in the US (and other countries with similar costs) making things like industrial brushes that sell for a buck or whatever. A combination of automation, low pay for the grunts, and of course they don't generally have a lot of money left over at the end of the day to improve facilities and do R&D (but what R&D do you need to do on a wood-handled brush?).

Percent costs over raw labor are probably as high or higher in China (hey, at least we don't have to provide housing or food for assembly line workers) , but the base is so much lower that you won't be able to compete if your competitors can do that. Maybe in 50 years things will be different.

Given your constraints (local manufacturing) you might be better to concentrate on niche products with inherently small markets and relatively large markups over materials cost. Markets with a lot of regulation (military, nuclear, aerospace) are also good for keeping markups high and shutting out low-cost producers. Or maybe stuff that's too big and cheap to be shipped economically.

If you do market-gap analysis and apply your constraints (even severe ones) to the results, you can still probably come up with more ideas than can be developed in a lifetime. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Are they POWs? It is dangerous to call them POWs. This will give them many rights that the US doesn't want to allow them. Watch what you say about them.

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 | =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

Reply to
MooseFET

drag

they

 This

Woods

another."

Now it sounds like you're describing climatology. Both "sciences", like psychology and sociology and string theory, can go far adrift for lack of experimental culling of theories, buffeted by the winds of politics and money.

Economics and climatology share the strongy-nonlinear-chaotic model problem. If I drop a dime on the sidewalk in Cleveland, it may cause the gold futures market in London to crash four years later.

John