Work is force DOT distance.

Torque is force CROSS distance!

Pfffbbbttttt! ;-)

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams
[snip]

Yes. My wife (in a Q45) was rear-ended by a pickup truck. The pickup truck was totaled. We only had to replace the bumper cover on the Q.

...Jim Thompson

Above-mentioned momentum limit would help, but of course won't happen.

Yes I would like an ejector seat triggered by some kind of collision predicting radar. Need to make sure it disarms itself in tunnels though.

Certainly being in the heavier of two cars is normally good for one's individual chance of surviving a collision between those cars, but I wonder is there any difference in the chances of survival when comparing the situation of two identical one ton cars colliding and the situation of two identical three ton cars colliding, where all cars have the same initial speed. If the chance of survival depends only on the relative masses of the two cars and not much on the absolute mass, then the all cars being as heavy as possible with the fuel budget of their respective drivers would seem likely to be the outcome of peoples individual choice, even if it does not result in the best average chance of survival for a given total amount of money or other resources being expended. Putting it another way, if I ran into you, you would be glad that my car is so light.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Concrete mixers and dump trucks will still weigh 40 tons

Reply to
gfretwell

You watch WAY too much TV.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Did you know that even the History Channel stops in the middle of the night?

Reply to
Richard Henry

mileage

Sure, they have to run the mandated infomrecials, like all other TV channels.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Or, you could take it upon yourself to drive sensibly, and not need another layer of bureaucracy on top of you.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie

It's been done. Trickee Dickee issued in imperial edict to that effect, in about the 1970's. It was an unmitigated disaster, and because of that and other high crimes and misdemeanors, he was drummed out of office in disgrace.

Thanks anyway, RIch

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

A number of my neighbors are jocks... Phoenix Suns, Diamond Backs or Cardinals.

Their chick-a-dee blondes drive the full-sized Hummers... that's scary ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Fortunately, at least in my own experience, their drivers are not as reckless as some, and so I am not particularly afraid of those. When they become the latest fashion accessory for teenagers and soccer moms, that's when I'll really worry.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

My poor little Jetta would have survived its rear-ending a lot better is the picpu truck that hit me had not had a winch on the front bumper.

My pocketbook would have fared better if the driver had had insurance.

Reply to
Richard Henry

No collision? I had a nutcase run a stop sign and hit me in the driver door. The '90 Voyager was five months old at the time; $8500 damage. The driver had no insurance, had swapped plates on the car, was impaired (.08BAC), and on parole from the state pen.

--
  Keith
Reply to

That's nothing, we have a gezillion illegal Mexicans running loose without insurance or driver's licenses. Of course the leftist weenies think that all will be well if we just issued them licenses :-(

...Jim Thompson

Well, in the last high-mileage competition, the winner was getting

10,000 MPG. This was on a closed course, and one of the rules was that the vehicle speed cannot drop below 15MPH.

Needless to say, the vehicle contest entries very much resemble the entries for long distance solar car competitions. Cigar-shaped fuselages for low air friction, shrounded tires on the ends of short wings.

(((((((((((((((((( ( ( ( ( (O) ) ) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty SCIENCE HOBBYIST website billb at amasci com

amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair Seattle, WA 425-222-5066 unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci

Reply to
Bill Beaty

"Eeyore" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com...

Blocking was done by gas companies.

Reply to
rob

I get the best gas mileage in my car at an rpm of 3000. Non-stop highway driving, of course. That translates to about 70 MPH. Factors which contribute to energy efficiency are more than a simple formula.

Al

Reply to
Al

They don't. If they want to go to Canada, let them build boats.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Don't you have uninsured motorist insurance, this assumes the liability of the uninsured driver, a different concept from collision. Anyone who drives in a state with a large Mexican population should carry it. And I am suspicious of these people who are always getting rear ended, this usually means they break late and hard. And then there are these other fools who are always getting broadsided in intersections, this usually means they are clueless and naive, lacking the foresight and imagination to recognize a potentially hazardous situation. This is why the insurance companies will drop a client after so many accidents regardless of fault- and that policy is derived from statistical inference which holds no assumptions about "luck."

Reply to
Fred Bloggs