Do The Math: Drive Slower & Save Gas

It is true that the engine is more efficient at higher speeds and most automatic transmissions are most efficient in top gear. But the work needed per mile to push air out of the way varies with the square of airspeed.

Don Klipstein

Perhaps you'd like to consider why UK road deaths are ~ 1/3 of the equivalent US figure ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

In the Philadelphia area, the trafic reports make it sound like mostly during rush hour. I am under the impression that many are caused by impolite and illegal passing maneuvers and red light running. I have witnessed a couple caused by people failing both to signal and to yield when making a left turn, and a couple when someone made a lane change with neither signalling nor looking adequately.

Don Klipstein

[snip]

(1) Nowhere to go (2) Fuddy duddies (3) Can't drive and maintain "stiff upper lip" ;-) (4) Please compare per mile driven as well... we're 59X your area.

...Jim Thompson

Inattention/distraction

Since I'm now driving 150 miles per day ferrying two granddaughters to Valley Youth Theatre classes I'm noting a phenomenal number of clowns in weenie cars cutting in front of me with just inches to spare. I'm tempted to momentarily forget where the brake pedal is in the truck... and make my day ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Bwahahahaha! Looks good to me ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I bet it rates 4 or better stars, that monster is almost 8' wide. But they've just stopped making the civilian version:

Maybe you could replace your pickup with one of these babies:

9' tall and 21' long.. you can even order it with a custom paint job.. imagine this sitting in your driveway (probably won't fit anywhere else).. it can tow 20 tons. 8-10mpg with a 70-gallon (265 liter) fuel tank.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

down to

US

To do it for real, it should be per passenger-mile. (where the driver counts as a passenger). Then UK's 1/3 would skyrocket! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

I imagine it is the same reason you kill less people with twice the voltage in your electrical outlets or why you have less crime. Americans are rebels who like to do crazy things. You already pointed out the cell phone law and eating in your car difference. What is your seat belt compliance? I doubt it gets much over 50% here. Add to that the compulsion to put lift kits and huge tires on anything remotely resembling a truck and you start to see the problem

Reply to
gfretwell

US

Or cheese to defend themselves rather than waiting until the state shows up, maybe.

Yep!

Many weenie states have added "DUI-C" (Driving Under the Influence

- Cell) laws over the past couple of years. I just saw the seat belt statistics for Vermont. It was up from 81% to 84%, or some such due to the new "will stop" change forced on the state under threat of losing fed highway funds. They missed the magic number though, so will lose a buncho-bucks anyway.

Problem? What do you have against natural selection?

--
  Keith
Reply to

Sounds like the invasion of the Bostonians.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Those are fairy tale numbers to keep the fed bucks coming. When our TV stations do roadside stories counting the number of people wearing belts they always come up with numbers in the 50% neighborhood. The law only requires front seat riders to be buckled up anyway (for the federal bucks). In a rollover everyone is rolling.

Reply to
gfretwell

No, it's a new phenomenon... young females driving over-powered "shoe-box" cars, trying to act like young punk males ;-)

But they're paying for it. I note that group's insurance rates are rising sharply.

...Jim Thompson

Today's commute:

Driveway, left turn. Half-mile to first light (right on red). Red, green, green, red (left), red, red, green, green, freeway ramp meter at 5 miles and 10 minutes, then 1 minute waiting for meter). Freeway three miles, three minutes. Green (right), red, red, green, green, green, green, red, green, green, green, green, green, green, green, red (left), then around the block and into the parking lot..

14 miles, 22 minutes.
Reply to
Richard Henry

My commute:

Get out of bed, enter shower, shower Leave shower, dry, put on clothes Walk 60' from east side of house to west side Key-in code to disarm alarm system Walk north 35' to kitchen, take BP and anti-inflamatory medications Push button to dispense coffee Walk 75' SE to office Sit down to monitors Turn on right-wing talk radio Drink coffee and eat "Chewy Bar" while reading S.E.D

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Then, at 8:20AM I drive the granddaughters to downtown Phoenix, 24 miles, 25 minutes.

...Jim Thompson

They are wearing cowboy hats and driving the mini monster trucks here. I guess it is a regional thing. We do have the rice burner hot rod kids here but they tend to be the geeky ones. Hemi pickups with fat tires and straight are still the favorite among most red necks, young and old.

Reply to
gfretwell

14 TOTAL for the day... radio station reported that most were on "surface streets", i.e. NOT freeways. Strange, NONE today... must have been "Monday Madness".

My guess is that weenie car gets hit from side, slams into curb and rolls over.

A good 20 years ago I slammed into a curb on an icy curve in the street... yes, Phoenix does get cold at night in the winter ;-)

Broke a strut, but no tendency to tip over... Nissan Maxima.

...Jim Thompson

Today's commute: Out door of RV, turn left, walk 24 steps to shop door, turn right, enter shop, evade obstacles, enter office door.

75 feet - 22 seconds. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ahh, mine is shorter. Wake up. Do ablutions. Put on clothes. Go downstairs and eat breakfast. Go down into basement office. Buy and sell some stock. Make or lose $500/day. I quit electronics 13 years ago. Now it's my hobby.

Al

Reply to
Al