Do The Math: Drive Slower & Save Gas

Gee, thanks! That's quiet a compliment from someone who routinely makes idiotic comments about how things should be in the US with no real idea of what life is like, here.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I doubt I'd like having to live with your level of stupidity. Is it compulsory at school to be a know-nothing ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Why? The crushed glass reflects some light at night so you can see where the road is going in rural areas without streetlights. It wears quite well, and has a decent surface. It has good traction and braking with reduced tread wear. Its not all glass, but it does stretch the available gravel. It can be put down with standard road building equipment. The only "Bizarre" thing I've seen was when Philips convinced the state of Ohio that a type of fiber they had developed would allow repaving of old roads without grinding away the worn out asphalt surface, and claimed it would last four to six times longer than a conventional repaving. They tested it on the highway in front of my house. Within months it was crumbling so bad that it had to be redone. The Philips crap made it even harder to grind, and took about twice as long to resurface the road properly.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I don't know anything about your schools in England, so you'll have to tell me.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In AZ those over 60 must renew in person... I just did it this year... almost gave me a heart attack... I could *just* barely read the eye chart, so I'm back in for a laser tune-up ;-)

...Jim Thompson

compulsory

I can't say it's exactly typical of the UK but here's my old school anyway.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You asked a question, why do people die on the road, I answered it and now you insult me. I thought you brits were supposed to be gentlemen.

Reply to
gfretwell

The real reason is in a lot of places, it is cheaper to recycle glass as road material than to landfill it or haul it back to a glass plant.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not so here. My mother died a couple years ago at 86. A week after her death I got her driver's license renewal sticker. She had mailed in the renewal, literally from her death bed.

Reply to
gfretwell

Nope, these things started out as what you call a roundabout, they ended uip with signals on them because there was too much traffic to allow "yield" access. How do you deal with multiple lanes in the circle? If the person is in the wrong lane they miss the exit so you end up changing lanes a lot. That is how the accidents happen.

Reply to
gfretwell

We actrually call them worse things than that but they are here ... some even try to drive on the wrong side of the road.

That is the American way. We seem to assume people will do the dumbest things possible and that lawyers will sue for their right to do it.

I have seen them stop a bridge to take a picture

Not illegal here.

Again, they think if it was illegal to eat and drive we wouldn't have drive through windows at Burger King.

I know there are a lot of folks on this side of the pond who don't think this is regular behavior and they probably don't drive like that back home but something comes over tourists here and they drive like morons. ... although 60 minutes (newsy TV show) was doing a story about workaholics and they showed tape of people driving down the road, typing on their Blackberry, pouring coffee from a thermos and complaining they forgot the breakfast they were going to eat in the car. Have you ever seen a GPS navigation system in a car. That is a recipie for death. It's hard enough to use one of those things as a passenger and drivers are fiddling with them. The dashboard of most modern cars looks like the console of a 747.

Reply to
gfretwell

No, they turn them into rear-enders. They're too busy looking at the car coming 'round the bend and forget to see the person ahead of them stop.

I was mightily pissed by the dumb bitch who tried to take off my right side today, at just under 80MPH. I don't think that would have been very pretty.

Ah, is that why it's so safe to drive in MA or NJ.

Roundabouts. Weenies in small cars. Darwin comes home to roost.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Not Graham, he's constantly out trying to pick a fight.

...Jim Thompson

I am talking about city traffic, there is almost always someplace to go, even in NYC downtown Manhattan.

I got broadsided like that by a deer in full sprint once - except he burst out of the woods in the middle of a straight section of road with a 35MPH speed limit.

Nope- I employ combat driving techniques- had two acquaintances killed instantly in either a high speed chase in progress or a big truck trying to run the light. The high speed chase is going to go around the line of cars stopped for the light, so as you start to pull past the cars you can see are stopped, you must look around the side for the incoming. This may sound stupid to you, but these things do happen, and they only have to happen once, and your driving days will be over. You may want to delude yourself that you're living in la-la land, but the more durable among us accept the reality of what's out there and adjust accordingly. It is also a good idea to watch the overpasses and breakdown lanes for people poised to drop heavy objects or take a shot at you with a rifle or a vehicle falling onto the road. Aircraft coming in for a crash landing, loose horses in gallop, low flying birds, flying debris, and out of control vehicles five lanes over in oncoming are something else to be alert to. This may sound a bit much for you, but with practice it is a small effort to keep your eyes and ears open and maintain 110% situational awareness. It is also good practice to memorize license plates, vehicle and occupant descriptions, and be on the alert for vehicles belonging to advertised "most wanted" types. If you want to take a nap, stay home.

They have an escape clause in there somewhere....

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Crap cars....

Monday morning, July 24, Phoenix rush hour....

NINE rollover accidents so far.

So much for the high MPG tin can car ;-)

...Jim Thompson

You forgot flying turds ;-)

Non-payment of premium. So if you're at risk, you pay at an office and get a receipt.

...Jim Thompson

The driving turds are much more dangerous; another deadly situation is a head shot while stopped in line beside a lunatic- this happens. Look these people straight in the eye and be aware of others on the road.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Why so many rollover accidents ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

So little tin that the center of mass is at the driver's shoulders... a slight side tap and over they go ;-)

...Jim Thompson

It's all the top-heavy unstable SUVs. According to

...they (SUV rollovers) account for 10,000 fatalities a year in the US.

Fortunately they are usually single-vehicle accidents and nobody else ends up killed or paralyzed for life.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany