dim bulbs

The Philips LED bulbs are great, but they recently announced that they were leaving the business. I guess they are getting too cheap.

I'd have to find my smartphone to turn on my reading lamp? I don't have a smartphone.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Huh? I thought they just sold the consumer electronics biz to Funai and kept the lighting business: Oops, wrong announcement. Looks like Philips is selling the Hue lighting business: Presumably, whomever buys it will continue the product line.

No. For Hue, you could use one of these: Notice that it does NOT require power or a battery.

When I was playing with the Hue lighting, I screwed the light into my Ledu desk lamp. It didn't take much to program a few keyboard macros to belch the appropriate control codes. While not perfect, methinks that on-screen lighting control can be useful.

However, not to worry. The next generation of smartphones will be imbedded in your cranium. You may soon have a working light dimmer tattooed to your arm. You could also do IR motion sensing, where the room lights come on only if there's someone in the room. If that's too much, you can command your room lights by voice or hand clapping. There are light switch replacements that include control via RF and internet control. Worst case is to carry a TV-like remote control around. Lots of options that don't require a smartphone.

You might want to cruise the various Smart Home web sites and see what technology, goodies, and toys are available. Plenty to choose from. Under lighting and appliance control, the site shows: Bulbs & Fixtures (700) Wall Plates & Accessories (530) Switches (461) Outlets / Receptacles (234) Plug-In Modules (191) In-Line Modules (41) Keypads (26)

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Jan 2015 09:06:22 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Here the home control PC runs the sunrise program:

This is called at startup (boot):

# LED light control for lights on one hour before sunset, and lights off one hour after sunrise. /usr/local/sbin/dsunrise &

# dsunrise script (runs 24/7) while [ 1 ] do # get data data=`/usr/local/bin/sunwait -p 53.2514N 5.5995E` sunrise=`/bin/echo $data | awk '/Sun rises/ { print $58}'` sunset=`/bin/echo $data | awk '/Sun rises/ { print $61}'`

# light off 1 hour after sunrise light_off=`/bin/echo $data | awk '/Sun rises/ { print $58+60}'`

# light on 1 hour before sunset light_on=`/bin/echo $data | awk '/Sun rises/ { print $61-60}'`

# get current time time=`/bin/date "+%H%M"`

# strip leading zeros time="$(/bin/echo $time | sed 's/0*//')" light_off="$(/bin/echo $light_off | sed 's/0*//')" light_on="$(/bin/echo $light_on | sed 's/0*//')"

if [ "$time" == "$light_off" ] then # echo light_off # repeat, UDP can lose packets /bin/echo "R0 G0 B0" | /usr/local/bin/netcat -c -u 192.168.178.214 1020 /usr/bin/sleep 1 /bin/echo "R0 G0 B0" | /usr/local/bin/netcat -c -u 192.168.178.214 1020 /usr/bin/sleep 1 /bin/echo "R0 G0 B0" | /usr/local/bin/netcat -c -u 192.168.178.214 1020 fi

if [ "$time" == "$light_on" ] then # echo light_on # repeat, UDP can lose packets /bin/echo "R255 G255 B255" | /usr/local/bin/netcat -c -u 192.168.178.214 1020 /usr/bin/sleep 1 /bin/echo "R255 G255 B255" | /usr/local/bin/netcat -c -u 192.168.178.214 1020 /usr/bin/sleep 1 /bin/echo "R255 G255 B255" | /usr/local/bin/netcat -c -u 192.168.178.214 1020 fi

# wait less than 1 minute so not to skip a match sleep 55 done

Nothing in that video, nothing on kick the starter, nothing nothing I do not already have. :-)

It is all just a few lines of code. people should learn Linux, at east bash scripting, and C of course or else be the slave of thsoe who code.. Future, no coding no power. like somebody who cannot write or read. Future is here.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Jan 2015 09:34:17 -0800) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Patent it the wristwatch with light controller! This is your change. Apple pie will buy your patent!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You can't always *get* natural gas at your location -- or other fossil fuels. (unless you want to incur the delivery charges yourself). Do you factor in the cost of transporting the fuel to your location? Or, the cost of the gas "hookup"?

One thing electricity has going for it is that it is truly ubiquitous. Even folks living "off grid" can manage to get *some* electricity!

Personally, I prefer skylights. Annoys the hell out of me to have to burn lamps during daylight hours to get "enough" light where I want it! :-/

Yeah, we looked into a ground sourced system, here. Frost line (if there

*is* such a thing, here) is probably a fraction of an inch. Could even do most of the excavation "for free" (labor typically being the HUGE portion of all of these endeavors).

But, still didn't make sense financially. And, the "scare factor" for future homeowners having "the only one in town" (more or less)...

Reply to
Don Y

Instead of screwing in a lightbulb, I'll be hunting for the remote, and then for the damned password that my wife installed. Next, hackers will turn off my lights and demand ransom to switch them back on.

Room lighting works fine. Like gasoline powered cars. Neither needs to be fixed.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

But it looks cool and retro. Our living room table is often illuminated by a large candle in a big glass. That's probably even more horrendous from an efficiency point of view. In our kitchen is a 1927 Western Electric wall phone. When it rings it probably uses >100x the power of a ringing modern phone. But the sound, the sound ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Jan 2015 10:51:38 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

So, its annoying, just replace it with a modern one.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

How does cost per photon compare to an LED lamp?

In our kitchen is a 1927 Western

The telco doesn't charge you for ring power.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Those old things use about 4x the power of a modern phone. They're REN1, whereas modern phones are normally REN4, meaning you can put 4 of them in parallel on one phone circuit.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I think you have the sense of REN inverted.

The REN equals the loading effect of the ringer on the line, as compared to a reference of a traditional e.g. WE model 500 electromechanical ringer. Larger numbers indicate a higher load. Modern phones often have smaller numbers.

For the example you cite, the low-load modern phones would have REN of

0.25 or so.

Add up the RENs for all of the phones, answering machines, and so forth to get the total load on the line. The nominal limit is around

5 REN on a typical subscriber line.
Reply to
Dave Platt

Annoying?

Finally a phone that sound like a real phone. We also have some others, including all-metal ones from Belgium. In contrast to the wall phone which has a crank that I had to disable those can actually pulse-dial.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Probably 3-5 orders of magnitude. But hey, PG&E "only" jacked up the price 8% this year.

No, but to make up for that Missy Bell charges the 6Mbit/sec DSL rate for a connection that tops out at 3Mbit/sec (on good days).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Den mandag den 26. januar 2015 kl. 03.52.00 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

so are candles, people still use them

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I was getting about 800K from AT&T, unless it rained. They kept calling me to sell me high-speed Uverse, and each conversation ended in them telling me that Uverse is not available in my neighborhood.

I finally capitulated and signed up with Comcast, for TV and DSL and telephone. They claim 50 MBPS, and I actually get about 10. At least it works when it rains.

Their sales people are fabulous liars.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The obvious solution for too much technology is more technology. Instead of you hunting around for the remote control, your personal robot will do the searching for you. Consumerized military search and destroy robot should be especially adept at finding your remotes, car keys, etc.

Slightly more realistically, what you will need is a hyper-remote. Instead of multiple remotes, one remote that duz it all. I have several Logitech Harmony remotes that make a heroic attempt at this. However, you could do as well with a tablet and some software. I vaguely recall a James Bond movie villain that walked around with one of those.

Hackers? It's more likely your home automation system demanding some attention. Here's roughly how it will go: One of my problems is that I have a few wealthy customers that are into home automation. When there's a problem, I get the call, mostly because I'm cheaper than the factory service guys. I've previously expounded on the problems.

If we all had that attitude, we would still be living in caves and riding critters. Progress does have it's price and does suffer from diminishing returns. A cave and horse would probably suffice to meet

90% of your shelter and transportation requirements. We'll never hit 100% because the requirements keep changing. As long as we have gasoline and cheap electricity, the existing room lighting and gasoline burners are adequate. However, there's no guarantee the situation will remain in the future. You're probably safe living in the here and now, until the future catches up with you.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Do I read that page correctly, They wanted $100,000, got $1,314.542 and have not produced a bulb in 26 months. To much champagne? Mikek

amdx

Looks like $1.3 million.

You could make a nice living off successive crowdfunding failures.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

[...]

I used to have 1.3Mbit/sec which was ok until I started to use GoToMeeting extensively. The service is reliable when it comes to connecting but their codec isn't very good. It gobbles bandwidth for imaging while audio drops out a lot or becomes next to unintelligible. So I went to the 6M service the millisecond it became available. Turns out they grossly overpromised. After complaining very loudly at least the notorious drop-outs are rare now, seems they can switch around priorities somehow. "We did something on our end and you should be ok from now on".

Very same thing here.

Thing is, we have zero use for cable TV or their VoIP phone. Plus they slobber the coaxes across the turf. On top, where every little critter can snack on the cable jacket.

With our socks you can fly to the moon! :-)

Got my 2nd inductor burn. Why can't companies quantify core losses a little better? Why can't anyone offer video conferencing that is more lean? Why can't mountain bike gear makers build shocks where the bearings last more than 1000 miles? Questions over questions.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

But interesting. Sure it's inefficient. So? There are a lot more electrons left in the wire.

Reply to
krw