more outsourcing...

Bonnie, the honcha of Sony Parts USA, sent me e-mail letting me know 10/29 would be her last day at Sony. Along with many other people. Seems Sony is outsourcing to Manila.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

9

And you know whomever they get will not speak American english well enough for 90% of what they say to be understood.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Not necessarily. I've rarely had that problem. There are more-fundamental and more-serious problems.

Outsourced representatives are more likely to be forced to stick to a script. (This also occurs in the US, but seems almost universal when you're talking to someone outside the US.) Scripting makes it possible for uneducated people to present the illusion that they're actually handling your problem.

More-importantly, scripting also prevents the rep from stepping outside the box. This is critically important, because these reps rarely have any authority to do anything that might actually help the customer beyond the trivial. Companies with good images tend to be companies that let their reps make decisions "on the fly".

When I was working for HP, I learned they were thinking of moving their outsourcing to Puerto Rico, because they were having problems with Indian workers. In my experience, I find the latter's constant assurances of how unhappy they are that you're unhappy, and needlessly detailed descriptions of everything they're doing, to be extremely irritating. They are sometimes startlingly rude, which you rarely experience with even the worst American reps.

American businesses * should not be sending jobs overseas. The privileges of incorporation give them a moral responsibility to keep jobs within the country that make the incorporation possible.

  • I don't know if Sony's American division is incorporated in the US. If it is, it's an "American" business.
Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Now was not Sony Japanese to begin with???

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

re

he

eps

es

of

it

I agree, especially when I seem to get someone who is using a script that doesn't seem to relate to the problem that I am having.

Bob H

Reply to
hrhofmann

Isn't that the case 90% of the time?