Crude Radiated EMI Meter

Sometime in the 90's, one of my hobby ideas was to make an amplifier so sensitive that it would detect the faint radiated EMI from electronic equipment. It used low noise transistors and active filtering to form a 300Hz high pass high gain amplifier. I recall seeing on the scope the EMI from my LCD watch 2" away from the pick up coil.

I couldn't think of an application then and still can't now. Would such a crude gizmo have any application today? Guesses: Electronic device detector? Bug sweeper. Data cable is alive detector? EMI meter for the EMI paranoid? Audiophool interference source detector? D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Absolutely audiophool product if nothing else!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Such tools are common accesories in TDR kits, and are used to locate breaks in coax. You do the rough location with the TDR, then inject a signal at one end of the coax and wave the detector along the cable where the TDR tells you to look. When it responds, you've found the break.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Care to share the schematic on abse??? I sometimes work with flea power systems; something like that might be helpful.

Thanks,

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Some days you\'re the dog, some days the hydrant.
Reply to
DaveM

I can't share the ones I'm familiar with, which are the intellectual property of the company I worked for that made them. The OP might share his though.

Besides, I use Google groups which doesn't access binary groups. Dammit.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

That's was a long time ago.. It was a napkin to breadboard project. The napkin is gone and the details are fuzzy now.. I recall a bit.

There was multiple stages of single transistor amplifiers. Maybe 4-6 stages.. I can't recall if I used JFET or bipolar. I had feedback between stages for active filtering. I used a battery to power everything.

I may have tried an amplifier array with summing amplifiers.. All done with single transistors. Something to do with the way noise adds together resulting in less noise.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Works well. It uses an ADI chip.

Reply to
miso

Wow...So that's the way it could have turned out if I went all the way... :) I dropped this idea long ago and then to see somebody else complete the same idea... It's like it's accomplished but without all the hard work :)

Thanks.. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Alan Broadband is quite the garage shop as far as I can tell. The owner sold these boxes for a few years at ham fleamarkets for I think $80. I've used it when trying to improve shielding in radios and SMPS. You can get relative readings regarding improvements, not calibrated of course. This box is considerably more sophisticated than your initial design. It has response out to a few GHz, yet can send power lines (probably harmonics of 60Hz). It has a vibrator in it to go off when RF is sensed, but the implementation (at least in the original product) is kind of dumb. The vibration changes with strength, but it's hard to sense this. I would have rather had it just turn on once the RF level reached a certain point. It also has a LED so that you can sense very short bursts of RF that won't move the meter. I've used this to detect when radar is active.

Note the biggest expensive in the design is the plastic case. Anything that needs to be tooled is a big hurdle to goring from garage shop to real sales.

Reply to
miso

It can be worse. Once in an ultrasound company we held a brainstrom, to see which other products could possibly be designed and built there. Me and a few others stuck our heads together and came up with a sonic toothbrush. Upon presenting it we harvested thundering laughter, people almost rolling on the floor.

Fast forward a decade or so: Philips makes oodles and oodles of money with that very product, a sonic toothbrush. We've got them in our bathroom. They work!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I have an Oral-B Triumph, which has a universal input (switching) power supply, a ~64x32 LCD, and even some sort of RFID-like ability to identify which brush head you're using. Pretty fancy stuff... although it's not sonic.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Wow. Pretty soon they'll come with Bluetooth and when the kid gets lazy a large sign will light up outside the bathroom: "Did not brush teeth!" Or an automated message goes out to the dentist scheduling the inspection or cleaning visit.

We've got Philips Sonicare. Works fine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Waiting to see episode of Doctor Who where he uses his sonic screwdriver on his teeth.. :) Or the XXX version where he's using it on alien women..... :P

New invention: The Swiss Army Cell phone Cell phone + camera + bluetooth + palm + mp3 player + games + movies + sonic tooth brush + scissors + saw + screwdrivers + paint mixer + laser pointer + fork + DMM + lint remover + toe nail clipper.....

It'll bring back McGyver!! :) D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

sonic.

You'd need him to help carry it.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 08:25:39 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"

lol ...good one... :) D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

When was this? My dentist had a sonic cleaner 30ish years ago. It didn't seem to be a huge leap to take it from the doctor's office into the bathroom.

--
  Keith

Reply to
krw

In 1988 AFAIR. Sure, this wasn't anything patentable but back in those days only dentists had that. Very expensive, too. The brainstorm was about what we could design and build, not invent ;-)

What we did build was another neat thing: A "Pocket Doppler". It was a sort of pen-like device and given away to key account medical offices. Much cheaper than the typical large table-top units. Very handy in an emergency, like when you had to quickly ascertain whether there was enough blood flow in the femoralis and whether the Doppler sound was suspicious. There were guys who could listen and say "that sure sounds like a valve problem". Sent them right to the catheter lab. And sure enough the angiogram pointed in the same direction.