Philips CD-670 (CDM2/10 transport) sometime fails the startup sequence, ...sometime not.

It has a CDM2 transport driven by TDA 5708 and TDA 5709. I think it is the famous Philips original control board... At the end of the drawer closing procedure it sometime reads the TOC correctly. Sometime not. Same turning it on or pressing play with a CD in. When the startup sequence is successfull (TOC content correctly reported on display) it plays two/three tracks, ...then fails. When the startup sequence is successfull I can start palying at track

1 or 21 it always works for some time. When palying some noise comes out the transport: it seems the pickup is scraping the disk; When failing sometime (not all the times) the arm swings and badly beats at enf-of-route.

My conclusions are: drawer motor and gear ok; laser ok; focus ok; tracking ok; pickup ribbon investigated checked ok; not ripple found in any of the power lines. CAPS on the control board all measure "normal" ESR (normal means "compared with new bees I have"); May be the laser power is low... is there anybody able to describe a correct procedure to check and tune the laser power? Emanuele.

Reply to
Emanuele Girlando

an update: raplaced 33uF cap close to tda5708. No change. I ask it again: what is the correct procedure for measuring and tuning the laser power?

Reply to
Emanuele Girlando

.... swapping the CDM2 with another working unit. No change. The control board of the palyer I have picked out the test CDM2 from is different. It has two trimpots: one for laser power and the other for focus offset.....

Reply to
Emanuele Girlando