connector for LVDS

My aerospace guys are used to SMAs and SMBs, and would laugh us out the door if we used RCAs. Besides, RCAs are too big for VME front panels and the other stuff we do. But we sell a VME module for somewhere between $4k and $12k, so two or three bucks per coax connector is not a big deal.

John

I've used SCSI2 commercial cables for LVDS at 100MHz with good success (can't remember if it was 40 or 80 pairs). Worked to at least 10 metres length. I'm sure the headers were not vacuum tight at the connector end, but I think the junction between cable outer and connector body was pretty good.

Regards Ian and

Reply to
Ian

Hello John,

That's a lot of cost. Once I talked a client out of them and into RCA. It was kicking and screaming on the systems production side but in the end they said that RCA is even easier on their fingers. Less blisters.

They wanted at least the cool looks so we opted for the gold plated RCA. Connector costs still plummeted by about 10dB and now they can even have color coding. White, red, yellow and black. That was really cool for the folks who wear glasses. You can also stripe them with a Sharpie and in contrast to SMB that won't rub off too much over time.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Rene,

Those in the back of stereos etc. I think in Europe you call them Cinch connectors. In Germany and Switzerland I also saw them listed as "US NF-Stecker".

In the US they are even used for VCR signals because we do not have SCART connectors.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

What are RCA connectors ?

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Hello John,

True, in that environment it has to be king size. Once when I was pondering the $25 or so for a multiplier on a project like that the guys around me did start to laugh. The reason I pondered wasn't so much the BOM total but the fact that the taxpayer ends up holding the tab for much of that.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

AKA "Phono Plug". They were designed by RCA to connect a phono cartridge to an audio amp, or to a table radio.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I read in sci.electronics.design that Joerg wrote (in ) about 'connector for LVDS', on Wed, 12 Oct 2005:

Not in UK, because someone owns the trade name 'Cinch'. We call them 'phono connectors'.

John Woodgate

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:33:08 GMT, Joerg wrote in Msg.

They're the worst coax plugs ever. The center connector makes contact before the shield (how stupid is that?), which can make you lose your hearing in certain circumstances.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

I read in sci.electronics.design that Robert Latest wrote (in ) about 'connector for LVDS', on Thu, 13 Oct 2005:

Neutrik make one that doesn't do that.

John Woodgate

"Robert Latest" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.localdomain...

You're not supposed to plug it into your ear.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

John,

have you considered the 3M MDR cabling system? They are designed for LVDS .

Thanks , Jure Z.

Reply to
jure

Very interesting. Thanks!

John

Interesting, except that the poster was interested in single channels. I also called up the local cable and connector guys once. They weren't interested in single channel LVDS connectors. Apparently the market is not considered big enough.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar