Holes in panels/boxes, small volumes

I'm making a simple gadget that's got a couple of connectors and an IC or two. I'll probably make 10 of them. I'd like to be able to make 100.

I'd like to put them in a reasonable looking box/case. I'll be happy with either a plastic or metal box. It doesn't have to be fancy or elegant.

I'm looking for somebody that will punch/mill holes in the box for a reasonable cost. Any suggestions?

I can drill/file, but that's a lot of work, especially when one of the connectors is a DB-9 and I don't have access to a good shop. Doing it by hand would be OK for 1, but there should be something better for more than that.

I think I'm looking for somebody who has a library of standard holes. You send them a text file or spread sheet with a hole per line. Each line specifies the hole type and coordinates. They feed that to a NC mill or an automated punch so there isn't much setup time.

I'm not in a hurry. I'll be glad to get the boxes from somebody and take things apart and send the front/back panels to somebody else to make the holes. I'd expect somebody in this business would have another listing of the boxes they are already setup to work with and where the reference coordinate is located and whatever else they need to know. ...

Hal Murray

If you just want flat panels machined, check out Front Panel Express

You download their design program, draw your panel, and check the price the program calculates (if you have lettering on the panel, choosing a single stroke font rather than 4 stroke will greatly reduce the price). The program will send the design file to them, and in a week or so, you'll have your panels.

They also now offer enclosures - the information is skillfully hidden under support/faqs.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca