A couple of questions about small METALLIC speakers...???

Is there a technical reason why sometimes a small, METALLIC powerhorn speaker can have so much punch when used as a PA system? I have even heard these little speakers hooked up to the PA jack on a CB radio and the sound that comes out of them is very loud and can be heard a long ways away.

Is it the wattage that's fed into these speakers that's doing it? I doubt it if it's only like 5W or whatever. Is it the fact that they are METALLIC?

Just curious about these small speakers and why they have so much punch and thought you guys might know why this is.

Thanks

D.

Reply to
David_nj_7

Could have something to do with the frequency response of your ears. If the speakers put out the most energy where your ears are the most sensitive; that would explain it.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Horns are generally more efficient. Getting a good bandwidth may be hard to do.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Horn speakers are far more efficient. The small metal horns drop off sharply as lower frequencies. Here is a full range but you cannot pick it up. Scroll down.

--

    Boris Mohar
Reply to

Boris Mohar wrote....

"Here is a full range but you cannot pick it up. Scroll down."

Not sure what you mean by that statement, but thanks for your input.

David

Reply to
David_nj_7

Sorry about that. I was supposed to paste in a link.

    Boris Mohar
Reply to
Boris Mohar