Conductivity sensors

Hi, I'm looking to measure when locations on the shore get splashed by waves. I've tried lots of different things (direct voltage, capacitance), but none have been ideal.

I've come across an interesting schematic, at:

which uses a 555 timer to read the impedence across a probe. I've breadboarded this up, and it works perfectly, measuring splashes of water very quickly, but accurately detecting when the water has drained away. I have connected the circuit ground to the black wire on the schematic and am reading the voltage across the 1K resistor, which gives a measure of the current consumed by the 555 (proportional to the oscillation rate).

The problem is that I need to have several of these in close proximity to each other. This means that when they are all splashed by a wave, the probes will be shorted to each other. In practice, if I have 2 of these probes running from the same power circuit, when they are both immersed in the same solution, they act as if neither of them are submerged.

I can't quite figure out what parts of the cirtuits are interacting with each other. I have tried connecting the power to them through a multiplexer, so they aren't on at exactly the same time, but this doesn't seem to help.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
mooseo

All should have one common probe, like a ground.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Hi Homer, thanks... I'm not quite sure what you mean by this... all the circuits are on a single power supply, so they share a ground. The probes themselves are connected between pins 3 and 6 on the 555. Are you suggesting that I ought to link these circuits in some other way?

Reply to
mooseo

Find a design where one probe is connected to ground. Yes, you need to link them all that way.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

When you multiplexed the powers, did you isolate the grounds as well. Did you have filters isolations for the power supply? Did you isolate the probes? Treat this as a very noise sensiitive circuit.

Reply to
linnix

Hmm, I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting that I modify the design I have, to somehow connect the probes to ground, or are you just suggesting that I need to come up with a totally different design? If the latter, do you have any other suggestions about it, other than that one probe needs to be connected to ground?

Reply to
mooseo

Hi, Yes, I did switch both the power and the ground through the multiplexer. The other connection was the voltage out, which went into the A/D. I did not have any filters on my power supply. What sort of filters would you suggest? Maybe I'll try running it off a battery to see if that helps.

thanks, mike

Reply to
mooseo

Look for (moisture meters) and find a design where one probe is connected to ground or to the power supply. That way all of those can be commoned.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Inductors.

Yes, that should help.

Reply to
linnix

I've just tried running the circuit off batteries... both 1 battery for the whole thing, or separate batteries for the multiplexer and the probe, with the grounds connected, but the circuit behaves exactly the same. Individually, each probe registers being submerged by increasing the voltage drop across the resisstor, but when 2 are submerged in the same liquid, both have the same drop as if they were not submerged at all.

any other thoughts? I can try getting some inductors, although it really doesn't look much like a noise response... more like the two circuits are inhibiting each other.

thanks, mike

Reply to
mooseo

Why connect the grounds? Even if you have to connect them, use inductors. The probes seems to be AC shorted.

Same difference, signal from one probe is just noise for another.

Reply to
linnix

For the same reasons as you can turn on one light in your house without affecting the others even though all are connected together.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

That may be true for 60Hz, but not for higher frequencies. At 10 Khz (and harmonics), signals can travel in different paths. Unfiltered power supplies are just AC shorts.

Reply to
linnix

If all of your monitor units share one common ground, each can monitor it's probe separately. Of course the output must be isolated from each other.

However this won't work with the indicated circuit. He could, however, switch the CS lines as he reads each sensor module and this would avoid the need for isolation.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

You are thinking digitally; however, his problem is analog. He already tried switching the power lines, so CS would not be any better. The problem is uncontrolled impedence paths, whether they are active (powered) or not.

Reply to
linnix

I am assuming he has some sort of isolation on the outputs (otherwise how will it work?) So if he 'reads' one probe at a time it seems reasonable that he will get an isolated result. Still, a solution where one probe is grounded or high would be simpler.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I have the grounds connected simply because the A/D board is set up as single-ended, i.e., it's reading each channel relative to common ground. I can rewire some things to route the ground of each signal through the multiplexer and run the board in differential mode.

I see what you are saying about AC noise, although I'm new enough at this that I have a hard time wrapping my brain around AC. Why is it that the current would drop in a shorted situation? I would have guessed, though without knowing why, that it would have increased...

Thanks for giving me some things to try.

Reply to
mooseo
.

Looking again at the specs for the multiplexer (

) I notice that the isolation and crosstalk protection start to drop quite a bit at higher frequencies... I have no idea what the specs are on the multiplexer within my A/D board, but they could suffer similar problems. Might that be a source of "uncontrolled impedence paths?" I've never had to worry about such things before.

I've also never used inductors before. Do you have any suggestions for a general purpose model to start with?

Thanks, mike

Reply to
mooseo

I know you don't want to hear this. But the final solution might be optically isolated multiple A2D units. That's why the commerical units are so expensive.

Your 555 circuit works by rapidly charging and discharging by a reference voltage. If that reference voltage (from the probe) is noisy, the basic assumptions are off.

Reply to
linnix

Hmm, no, I really don't want to hear that! Given the realities of my environment, I'm guessing these things will survive about 2 weeks before they get destroyed by waves, so cheap is essential.

I'll try some power filtering and see if that helps.

Otherwise, I guess it might be time to look for a new solution...

Reply to
mooseo