Newbie here looking for recommendation on what solder paste to get?

I'm looking for a solder paste with flux to fix a chip on my laptop motherboard. (don't worry I have a few older 486 motherboard I'm going to practice on b4 I attempt anything). Also what kinda of soldering braid should I get?

1 other question, looking on the internet about SMT some people recommend just using a Flux pen and no solder paste why is this? Maybe I'll get a solder paste with flux and just a flux pen. I'd like a recommendation for both. thanks.

Jason

Reply to
www.jrdtech.net

I use SynTECH from

but my primary reason for choosing that was (1) cost and (2) no need to refrigerate. Seems to work OK.

Whatever you want, it's just copper. Size it according to the size of the things you'll be desoldering.

They either use wire solder, or rely on solder balls or leftover HASL solder.

I use a Kester 2331-zx pen. But remember that paste has flux in it already, and I've found that fluxing the board makes the paste stick less well to it.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Solder flux serves different applications. A very "aggressive flux" will be combined with a solvent and perhaps have the Ph tweaked. It could be acid long after the joint is made - but no problem for a "vapor de greaser" flow solder machine, or studious application of brush and elbow grease.

My recommendation Get some of the common variety flux. Thin it if you have to - acetone will usually work fine since that is the solvent to remove flux.

The reason they recommend no solder and just use a flux pen is that there is usually enough solder already on the board and "wetted" part

- called re flow soldering - both parts are already fluxed and tinned and you just need a little heat to make a union - with just a smidgen of flux - or trace of flux - or flux vapor in the air.

In a repair situation you probably already have enough solder for a re flow.

Newsgroups
default