Conclusive physical evidence for AWG?

I think you are referring to extended memory?

...Jim Thompson

Oh, we spent a few weeks driving around Ireland (she's a McKwen) mostly in the southwest. The Guinness there tasted just like the Guinness here, namely like some sort of roofing adhesive. The pubs were great, except for the smoke, which I understand has since been improved.

Harp is nice beer.

John

In article , To-Email- snipped-for-privacy@My-Web-Site.com says...>

From dim memory, '87 needed an ISR, which the DOS TSR program provided.

Reply to
krw

Ah, but it's the best tasting roofing adhesive you'll find anywhere in the world, bejayzus! The drawback is that they've adopted the almost universal practice of serving it freezing cold. Let it warm up a bit and it tastes a whole lot better.

I don't understand the obsession with ice cold beer, especially in these islands that aren't exactly renowned for their warm climate.

Harp is brewed by Guinness. They have a stranglehold on the brewing industry in Ireland.

Richard

Reply to
warm'n'flat

SPICE

Extended memory sat as pages in one of the first 1MB adapter gaps and used a protected mode 386 driver to remap the address space and make real physical memory appear to other programs like the awful kludged extended memory. It could also backfill and load other TSRs into smaller gaps in a very cunning way.

ISTR The canonical best one was called 386max. After a while MS produced their own third rate clone of this rather neat program.

The DOS TSR was a fake pure software '87 implementation, which as I recall came in two flavours - glacially slow and accurate or slow and inaccurate. Neither were particularly useful and many heavyweight numerical applications would refuse point blank to run on a CPU without hardware x87 or 3167 coprocessor support. Support got fed up with why is it running so slowly / why doesn't it get the right answers calls.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Tell that to the people who are freezing to death in the NW US.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

SPICE

I don't remember that need for the '387.

But I certainly remember TSR's ;-)

...Jim Thompson

He might find a more receptive audience in Australia at the moment

With 173 dead after the worst bush-fires on record, after a record- breaking heatwave, people there might well be more willing to think about schemes to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. In six months Rich may also get around to changing what mind he has got left.

One of my old friends had a house in Maryville - he and his wife got out before it burnt down, but they didn't have time to take anything with them.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

The Australian bush fires were of course nothing to do with global warming. Green policies had prevented clearing of the brush until the point that fires of this magnitude were inevitable.

/quote

So many people need not have died so horribly. The warnings have been there for a decade. If politicians are intent on whipping up a lynch mob to divert attention from their own culpability, it is not arsonists who should be hanging from lamp-posts but greenies.

/end quote

Reply to
Raveninghorde

Had it been a blizzard, Slowman would have blamed AGW.

Wonder what cockamamie theory he uses to account for normally bitter cold winters in the US, after quite a few years of unusually mild ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

There's been a spectacularly long running drought in Victoria for years now. It might not have naything to do with global warming, but it is precisely the kid of shift in weather patterns that global warming is likely to produce.Your "of course" prentends to a confidence to which you are not entitled.

It's more tree-huggers than environmentalists, if you want to be precise. I grew up in the paper industry, and the tree-huggers habit of getting mystical about trees and shrubs has always got right up my nose.

They will happily describe second growth timber in an area that was logged out (not clear-felled, but left with enough young trees to regenearte rapidly) some thirty years ago as primeval forest, and the water vapour coming out of the steam generating plant at the paper mill where I grew up became "chemical pollution" when the tourists buses went by. The guides knew better, but weren't going to compromise their tips by telling the tourists things that tourists didn't want to hear.

I'm not in the least surprised to learn that they were sabotaging controlled burn-offs - it's a standard idiocy. Much like your unwillingness to beleive in anthropogenic global warming.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

"Jim Thompson" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Some winters are colder than others. It's called random variation. Unlike the drought in southern Australia, which looks like a once in in a thousand year freak, your blizzards are of the sort that show up every decade or so.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

A proof is a convincing reasoning. There are people who cannot be convinced. Those are unreasonable people. In many cases they are believers, who are, by definition, not interested in the truth of their propositions, because they claim these _are_ the truth, without the need for inspection. By definition, science is not fully 100 % truth, otherwise no scientific research would be done; however, reasonabe people consider the margin small enough to take it seriously.

-- Have fun Bert

Reply to
OpaPiloot

Looks like about 375.5-377 ppmv over Hawaii, maybe 375.5-376, probably closer to 376 over "The Big Island" for the July 2004 color coded map.

The official data from Mauna Loa Observatory says 377.48 ppmv for monthly figure, maybe 2 ppmv higher, maybe more like 1.5 ppmv higher.

I try further, and I run into .hdf files - how do I read those?

Don Klipstein

Action 4 apears to me to be usually opposed by "green weenies". But I favor that one, as well as 5-7, and think that to some extent 1 makes sense. 2 appears to me less sensible and 3 appears to me to deserve exceptions for purposes of avoiding major economic downturns, to allow for development time to deal with CO2 emissions, and to allow less purchases of petroleum (only minor improvement over coal for CO2) from nations that disfavor the interests of the "western world".

Don Klipstein

snip

I've no experience with them, but try

-- Regards Malcolm Remove sharp objects to get a valid e-mail address

Reply to
Malcolm Moore

hdf hard-to-read data format?

Reply to
Richard Henry

That is just part of what is involved. Among other things the DOS extender had to switch the CPU into 32 mode with 32 bit flat address space then re-start the MMU to map around the legacy memory holes from the XT era. This also required mapping legacy 16 bit interrupt code with 32 bit services and application code (DOS used software interrupts for much of the access to DOS services).

Reply to
JosephKK

SPICE

First there was expanded memory which mapped 4 total 16 kiB pages into the 0xD0000 block in the first meg. This was useful in XT and AT hardware. Then with the AT series and more so on the early 386 class PCs the capability to use LIM [1] Extended Memory. This memory appeared above the 1 meg boundary and the drivers usually also provided for an expanded interface (MS HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.SYS)

While 386max was good QEMM was more versatile and had better tools for programmers. Then there was also PharLap which had adherents as well.

X87 use int 13.

[1] Lotus - Intel - Microsoft
Reply to
JosephKK
[snip]
[snip]

I remember QEMM, that's what I used.

Damn! Makes me feel old, and tired, and wonder, "How in the hell did we make it all work together" ?:-)

...Jim Thompson