cold!

Super-insulated houses do have counter-current heat exchangers to let the out-going air warm the in-coming air. Enough counter-current stages leaves the out-going air very little warmer than the incoming air.

The out-going air does dump some water vapour as condensation on the membrane separating it from the incoming air. You want to arrange that to drain somewhere where you don't get to smell it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Here, in the far North (60 to 70 degrees N), we have another heater for the cabin, connected together with the block heater.

There are similar systems running on car fuel, the most common brand is Swedish Webasto.

--

-TV
Reply to

Oh, I've got a hydraulic wood splitter. (Once you've used hydraulics, you are ruined for life.) (My house came with a backhoe too.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ote:

ck

ood.

of

Oh yeah I hate when it's starting up, or needs to be poked. (poor air flow... It's forced air, with a fan that turns on when the thermostat gets to low.) It belches smoke. I'll turn it off if we are having a party or outdoor thing in the summer.

I think clean burning is a great idea in theory. In practice, my limited experience is that it would be a lot more work/ maintenance to keep it clean and efficient. You are fighting against creosote build up on one end, and all the ash on the other. It's easier to just cut up a few more logs to feed it. (I know perhaps not a "green" attitude.)

red

the

We were staying at relatives during Xmas. Their thermostat was set higher than at our house, but I noticed I was never as comfortable if I was just s itting around. My theory was that it was the older draftier house.. Kind o f an indoor wind chill factor.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Heat pumps use "hot gas defrost"- look it up. The only electric heaters are in the compressor crankcase to prevent the accumulation of liquid refrigerant there, which can have disastrous and catastrophic consequences under some conditions. The indoor backup electric heater will /sometimes/ activate during or shortly after the defrost cycle. No question the overall efficiency declines as outdoor temperature drops, and this is more due to the increasing temperature differential between the coils than the defrosting requirement. Air exchange heat pump technology is garbage compared to other forms, something else that needs to be regulated but won't be.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

No you won't:-)

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Well the garage is attached to the house and a bit like a basement too. Shop, water service, storage of paints/ liquids/ metal tools...etc. Dog doors to outside, Cat liter box in the winter.

I keep it at ~45-50F. But it's also great to be able to crank up the heat when I have a week end shop project, or car vehicle work.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

Wow, do you live in Sweden? Near the arctic circle? (And I thought missing the sun here in the winter was hard.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Any imbecile can install one of these:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Why don't you try reading the book before you read it to others:

Mold is a different issue altogether, and its formation is completely elimi nated in a multitude of different ways.

I will not pretend to know everything, but never heard of building material s emitting radon. Radon gas comes up through the soil under the foundation and gets trapped in an airtight structure without ventilation.There are sys tems of ventilating the subsurface to prevent this and it's not expensive.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

minated in a multitude of different ways.

als emitting radon. Radon gas comes up through the soil under the foundatio n and gets trapped in an airtight structure without ventilation.There are s ystems of ventilating the subsurface to prevent this and it's not expensive .

Re: Radon anything made with granite or other stone could have some Uranium in it and emit Radon.

Fun fact. It was pointed out to me the other day that Radon has a four day half life. I had this (mistaken) idea that Radon came from deep u nderground... But it has to be a source much closer to the surface.. Else it will decay before it gets into my basement.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

liminated in a multitude of different ways.

rials emitting radon. Radon gas comes up through the soil under the foundat ion and gets trapped in an airtight structure without ventilation.There are systems of ventilating the subsurface to prevent this and it's not expensi ve.

underground... But it has to be a source much closer to the surface..

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

No - Finland, but nearly the same northward.

--

-TV
Reply to

The coldest I measured at 7pm and around midnight were 3 to 4 F. Not sure where the nonsense -600 temps the weather places came up were fabricated.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Or this modified '92 Honda Civic:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Scary. It could split his leg, too. That might hurt some.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

But that depends on the dew point of the outside air, and on the heat pump's duty cycle.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Ours reverse occasionally to blow the ice off the coils. Makes a strange noise when it happens. ;-)

Reply to
krw

The efficiency is pretty low at -5C. Mine start using the resistors at 40F (though the pump is still used).

Reply to
krw

Have you thought about a ground water heat exchanger? It saves money in the summer too.

George H

Reply to
George Herold