cold

It's -0.1 degree F at the cabin in Truckee. First time since I put in the instrumentation that it's ever got below zero. At least I got the RTD code right.

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

It's called "global warming" ...

Yesterday evening we baked a pizza in the Weber kettle over real wood fire. Afterwards I always shut it off by closing the vents, for safety and to save the remaining charcoal for another session. A few hours later there was a thin layer of ice (!) on the lid.

--
Regards, Joerg   (Silicon Sibirsk)

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

A couple of nights ago I set out my min/max thermometer to see just how cold a "cold warning" was... it hit 22°F right here in San Tan Valley (a Phoenix suburb).

And the minimum last night was 35°F. ...Jim Thompson

According to this morning's Chron, it was -27F in Alturas last night. That's Alturas, California!

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Seems that every time when we think that "Oh, this finally may be a winter where we won't blow through five cords of wood" it turns on us. This morning we needed the pellet stove, the wood stove at full bore, plus the central furnace to get the house up from 62F. The office is still at a balmy 61.8F but the computer had to crank hard this morning and then it likes that.

12 years ago two cords of wood was enough. Now it's four to five.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Our new super-insulated house is nice... our latest electric bill is $113. ...Jim Thompson

61.8F ??!! Gack! When it gets below 80 inside our home, I'm freezing! Like right now it's down to 76, brrrr
Reply to
RobertMacy

Yup. Saying that global warming can cause local extremes of weather is about as stupid as saying that running a good strong 50MHz through an amplifier can cause an oscillation at 25MHz.

Dumb scientists.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Squirrels have eaten all your insulation. Or maybe it's fire ants. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Squirrels have eclectic tastes.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Arizona dryness. We do 72°F Winter, 76°F Summer ...Jim Thompson

Then you'd need 7-8 cords if you lived in our house, plus a 2nd wood stove.

How about some thicker socks and sweaters? :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Wimps.

Greg in Iowa

Reply to
Greegor

We never have any in the attic. The living room doesn't have one anyhow, it's cathedral style with 2" thick tongue-and-groove.

It's just that winters have more super-cold days and are generally longer than they used to be. It's 10:30am and the wood stove is about ready for its 3rd load.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, it's not like anyone's ever had their flyback converter hiss just because its duty cycle went a little over 0.5. Dumb scientists! :-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

Hanbury Brown & Co. had that problem with birds on his intensity interferometer in the Oz outback. They finally wrapped the cables in roofing felt and the birds left it alone.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

the instrumentation that it's ever got below zero. At least I got the RTD c ode right.

Not "local" warming - if you average over the entire surface of the planet, you can tolerate the occasional local anomaly.

about as stupid as saying that running a good strong 50MHz through an ampl ifier can cause an oscillation at 25MHz.

Denying that it can cause local extremes of weather is even dumber. The ano malies that Joerg and John are complaining about reflect the fact that the warmer Pacific Ocean - which we've already got - evaporates a bit more wate r than it used to, which falls as heavier layers of snow in California in w inter. Snow has a higher albedo than vegetation, so areas blanketed in snow are colder than they would have been without the snow (quite apart from th e heat soaked up by the snow as it - eventually - melts).

One regrettably ignorant engineer, with a taste for thoroughly irrelevant a nalogies.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Our latest bill was $85, which is less than it was in April (usually the lowest month). Don't know what happened. It wasn't an estimated bill.

We haven't had a utility bill above $200 in the last two houses.

Reply to
krw

Wait, I hear the Buzzing noise again.....

Martin Riddle

I had used a lead sinker to weigh down a siphon to drain out my boat cover. I left it onthe teak platform afterwards. Turns out they like lead sinkers too.

Martin Riddle