cold!

They replaced all of the individual household "feeds" here many years ago: fed a (heavy) steel cable up through the existing plastic/nylon pipe which was connected to a large metal "pig" with outward facing cutting blades. Used the hydraulics from a back hoe to *pull* this through the existing pipe, shredding it in the process. Attached to the rear of the pig is the new plastic feed line.

Last year, replaced the main distribution lines (here... the rest of the city is "ongoing") to upgrade to a larger diameter pipe (I think the new one in this neighborhood is 8" dia). This is done with a similar, though different, process: a horizontal drill is used to bore beneath the street *near* the existing gas line. After a hundred feet (or so), the drill is retracted and *drags* the new feed pipe behind it into the space it has created (goal is NOT to have to dig up the streets).

At intervals, successive pieces of pipe are "welded" together in areas excavated in the road. Then, backfilled and patched.

Amusing to watch the drill in operation -- as well as how they track the location of the drill head (in three dimensions) while it is below grade!

"Ooops!" can be VERY expensive!

The bigger issue is the "surprise" that accompanies the outage. I.e., is *my* furnace broken? (as it *tries* to light but quickly self-extinguishes -- low gas pressure) Or, is it a problem system-wide? (in the wee hours of the morning, neighbors don't take kindly to your calling and asking them if "they have gas")

I *know* the local plumbers made a killing with "unnecessary house calls" for all the folks who thought *their* furnace was broken; only to discover that it was a supply problem! "That will be $120 for the service call, please..."

As this is such an exception, we later decided that it didn't warrant keeping an alternative heat source on hand (white gas, propane, electric, etc.)

[I suspect these alternatives are a source of more problems than they are worth!]

If push came to shove, we could have resorted to lighting a (wood) fire. Or, an electric blanket (why get out of bed if you're going to be cold?).

Stove is electric so we could still cook, make warm beverages, etc.

Or, start the barbeque...

Reply to
Don Y

Ah! :< I have *one* long-sleeve T-shirt that I never wear as it feels too warm. *Dress* shirts are long-sleeved but I try hard to NEVER wear them! (funerals, openings, etc.)

I've found a lot depends on my activity level. E.g., if I'm sitting on the LR floor reading a book late at night (heat gets reduced after

10-ish) I might feel "chilled". But, if I am up-and-about, I'm usually comfortable in T-shirts and jeans. I guess much of it is a latent "memory" of what cold REALLY is like: "Oh, *this* isn't too bad..."

SWMBO often "bundles up" when doing plein air painting -- but, probably a reflection of the fact that it's a largely "inactive" activity.

[I suspect I would be "cold" if I just went and *stood* outside]

And the idea of wearing gloves -- encumbering the use of my hands -- is to be avoided at all costs!

Amusing when we see winter visitors staying INDOORS at this time of year: "Um, if you're going to stay inside, why not stay indoors back home in Montana???"

Reply to
Don Y

Not necessarily. It's -5C or so outside. My place is poorly insulated, with lots of windows of ~R 0.8 (US), and attic and walls insulated to about half today's standards.

By just keeping the house temperature at 9-10C and dressing like an Eskimo, I'm spending about $10 a month on heating right.

Getting the attic and windows alone up to standard would cost about about

550 months' worth of heating bills, best case, for bills I only have four months a year.

In U.S. units, R-30 to R-60 for attics, R-19 for walls is pretty typical.

It's not the house, it's how you use it that makes the most difference.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat
[snip]
[snip]

It's always puzzled me why some clever soul hasn't devised a way to run the furnace blower on natural gas. It'd be a life saver back east where so many times the electricity fails because of downed electric lines and people freeze to death. ...Jim Thompson

...are enormous.

looks pretty popular to me...

Hell there have even been several studies on it and other construction/ insulating media make-ups for various standard construction materials.

You lose... again.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

They could have a little backup steam engine to push the blower in such a time. That can be gas fired.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It's non-structural, R-value is not good, it's expensive, there is very little engineering data published (probably because it is equally unimpressive).Looks like moisture can be a real problem. It's still experimental, wouldn't touch it.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Get a backup generator that runs on natural gas.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Bloggs Blabbed the following:

End Quote.

Em, "What you talkin about Willis?"

Oh, we have the Snow Belt and the Lake Effect Snow too. We get Alberta Clippers... I do have friends who live in Ontario, and the difference is simply the amount of snow. Unless your up near the Artic Circle, which is QUITE far from here.

I'm lucky enough to live ten miles from the average end of the snow belt, but business does take me there, and to Ontario.

Part of the reason you do not hear much about Ohio winters is we have the infrastructure in place to move snow. Schools get closed now mostly for extreme cold, not for impassable roads.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

I have no complaints about the temps here in Chicago. I'll report back on how it feels here tonight.

It's pretty cozy inside insulated bibs.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

sure, a tent is very low energy. but I don't think many people will find that or 10'C indoors to be acceptable

most people will want 20 something C all year round so it is quite well defined how a house will will be used on average.

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Havent you heard its the lack of sunspots?!?!?!

We still have snow on the ground from the early Feb snow storm/ unblizzard.

One thing to note is that the snow reflects the suns radiation, so it'll be cool around here for a while.

Martin Riddle

Wish we had some natural gas. Our heat pumps (at these temperatures they're really resistive heat) aren't going to keep up the next two nights. We'll likely add propane logs to the fireplace next summer.

Reply to
krw

Grin.. sure a small delta T works as long as it's "mild" outside.

It's going to be below -10F here tonight. Keeping the house at 50 or 70 is not that different. (60::80)

I've got an outdoor stove that heats the garage and preheats hot water... It's been a beast lately, I have to fill up the fire box twice a day.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That's a good idea. Home Depot sells natural gas-powered generators.

Wood is the ultimate fallback, but messy.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

TEG with a battery to get it started. How much power?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Wimps. :)

If energy cost a lot more and I used more of it, sure, it would make sense.

Landing here my utopian vision was to make the place nearly 100% passive solar. Then I ran the numbers (and lived through a few sunless winters).

I designed a really nifty passive solar heater, but it would not have helped much so far this winter. Two or three months is a long time to wait for the heat to come on. The good news is it would heat my place very efficiently in the summer. There's lots of sun then, when I don't need it. It could also cool my place every efficiently all winter long--just remove the check valve / damper and let it reverse draft at night. :-)

Grins,

James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

You don't know anything about it.

There are bunch of youtube videos on homemade collectors constructed from junk too.

A house is more than a place where you go to get off the street. Your lifestyle is unhealthy.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

district heating here, from the local powerplant, cement factory and incineration plant

~$50/MWh

-Lasse

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Sounds like you'd benefit from some global warming. :-)

I was very tempted to make a variation on a rocket mass heater, a slick way to burn wood very cleanly and efficiently, for heating.

I became somewhat less enthusiastic after helping my neighbor split wood.

Grins, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat