Yikes!

I found myself still using my yellow "The TTL Data Book for Design Engineers", second edition, from 1976.

John

Oh, yeah?

Well, I haven't found myself yet but, when I do, I might be found using "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems". I have yet to understand any of it.

John S

Reply to
John S

Ah yes. The Yellow Rows of Texas databooks.

--
Syd
Reply to

Yep, still a useful reference, I used it a year or so ago too...

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

I still use my 1964 GE transistor manual.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I used mine in May (pinout for a '373). Sometimes it's faster to grab the book on the shelf than to search and wait for datasheet pages to load.

I also use my set of early 1960s Motorola transistor data books to look at odd-ball parameters that most manufacturers won't publish any more.

Tom Pounds near Albuquerque

Reply to
tlbs101

I'll raise you "The Transistor and Diode Data Book for Design Engineers". Has some 60's era devices in there, still in use here, hardcover with beer and coffee stain resistant coating, partially in German. Was printed in Munich but has not printing date.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yellow books? Those are for the youngsters. Old farts use the really seasoned brownish-orange hardcovers.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Tell me about it. In the old TI book the BF245 JFET has a 9-page datasheet. The current Fairchild PDF datasheet has two pages, of which only one contains useful data.

So I keep all those books.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

"Mustard Bibles".

Reply to
krw

The US first edition doesn't show a printing date either, just a 1973 copyright date. I'd raise you the Optoelectronics Data Book but I only have a vague idea which box it's in. One of these days^H^H^H^Hyears I

*really* have to finish unpacking... ;-)
--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

on the shelf than to search and wait for datasheet pages to load.

Nah! I always have a few instances of DigiKey's site open in my browser. That's a lot faster than pulling the book off the shelf and finding he index.

odd-ball parameters that most manufacturers won't publish any more.

Someone lifted my TI databook. The other one, though somewhat later, that I always found quite useful was the Gates Energy Secondary Cell Handbook.

Reply to
krw

Why not? Most knowledge doesnt cease to be correct. 2 books that are still useful today are a 1940s (I think) book on fluorescent lighting, (perhaps by Atkinson?), and a very late 1800s book on lead acids. With the latter, little has changed, mainly the case materials.

NT

Reply to
NT

I have that, the 1973 edition.

OK, I'll see that and raise you 1965...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/TI_catalog.JPG

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/TI_page.JPG

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/TI_prices.JPG

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/TI_new_TO3.jpg

Note the *NEW* TO-3 package. And the prices.

John

I've got a huge reference book somewhere about "Modern Mechanical Engineering" from the pre-Marconi days where ether waves are described as a mysterious phenomenon yet to be researched. And today I am earning a living with that stuff ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Now that is indeed antique. Can't rival that, although I do have something about a tube, plus I've got an actual radio receiver with this tube that qualifies as the first integrated circuit on earth, introduced in 1926. Each resistor and capacitor in that tube is individually glass-encapsulated. This is in German but the pics and schematics say it best:

You could buy encapsulated resistors individually.

And they've got a Minuteman series :-)

When I built my first TTL stuff a SN7400 retailed around $2 but sometimes they were of questionable origin.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Did it work?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I used to have a copy of Don Lancaster's "TTl Cookbook."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

About as well as 1976 TTL. It uses a lot of current to perform logical operations really slowly.

The only time I ever look at the old TTL data books is for data on the

74121 monostable. It still has niche applications, sort of like the 555 which is a rather lower quality monostable, albeit mostly used by people who don't know enough to realise how crappy it is.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I know a mechanical engineer that said my old 'Mechanical engineers handbook

1965' ( the Fat blue bible thing) was OLD and no good. lol

The old books have everything to build a good technical foundation.

Martin Riddle