Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

In my opinon...no.

I intentionally try to have older appliances, vehicles, machines to lower repair costs and keep overall ownership cost to a minimum.

Your thoughts?

TMT

Irreparable damageBy Bryce Baschuk THE WASHINGTON TIMES January 9, 2007 Bill Jones, after 42 years, is finally closing the Procter Appliance Service shop in Silver Spring. "You can't make a good salary to survive on the way you could years ago," said the 61-year-old owner of the oven, refrigerator and washer-dryer repair shop. "Everything has changed in the appliance business." Mr. Jones recently sold his home in Laurel and is in the process of moving to Bluffton, S.C., with his wife, Jeannette. Mr. Jones is one of the many Washington-area repairmen who have struggled to stay afloat as residents replace, not repair, old appliances. "It's a dying trade," said Scott Brown, Webmaster of

and self-proclaimed "Samurai Appliance Repairman." The reason for this is twofold, Mr. Brown said: The cost of appliances is coming down because of cheap overseas labor and improved manufacturing techniques, and repairmen are literally dying off. The average age of appliance technicians is 42, and there are few young repairmen to take their place, said Mr. Brown, 47. He has been repairing appliances in New Hampshire for the past 13 years. In the next seven years, the number of veteran appliance repairmen will decrease nationwide as current workers retire or transfer to other occupations, the Department of Labor said in its 2007 Occupational Outlook Handbook. The federal agency said many prospective repairmen prefer work that is less strenuous and want more comfortable working conditions. Local repairmen said it is simply a question of economics. "Nowadays appliances are cheap, so people are just getting new ones," said Paul Singh, a manager at the Appliance Service Depot, a repair shop in Northwest. "As a result, business has slowed down a lot." "The average repair cost for a household appliance is $50 to $350," said Shahid Rana, a service technician at Rana Refrigeration, a repair shop in Capitol Heights. "If the repair is going to cost more than that, we usually tell the customer to go out and buy a new one." It's not uncommon for today's repairmen to condemn an appliance instead of fixing it for the sake of their customers' wallets. If they decide to repair an appliance that is likely to break down again, repairmen are criticized by their customers and often lose business because of a damaged reputation. Mr. Jones said he based his repair decisions on the 50 percent rule: "If the cost of service costs more than 50 percent of the price of a new machine, I'll tell my customers to get a new one." "A lot of customers want me to be honest with them, so I'll tell them my opinion and leave the decision making up to them," he said. In recent years, consumers have tended to buy new appliances when existing warranties expire rather than repair old appliances, the Department of Labor said. Mr. Brown acknowledged this trend. "Lower-end appliances which you can buy for $200 to $300 are basically throwaway appliances," he said. "They are so inexpensive that you shouldn't pay to get them repaired." "The quality of the materials that are being made aren't lasting," Mr. Jones said. "Nowadays you're seeing more plastic and more circuit boards, and they aren't holding up." Many home appliances sold in the United States are made in Taiwan, Singapore, China and Mexico. "Nothing is made [in the United States] anymore," Mr. Jones said. "But then again, American parts are only better to a point, a lot of U.S. companies are all about the dollar." Fortunately for the next generation of repairmen, some of today's high-end appliances make service repairs the most cost-effective option. The Department of Labor concurred. "Over the next decade, as more consumers purchase higher-priced appliances designed to have much longer lives, they will be more likely to use repair services than to purchase new appliances," said the 2007 Occupational Outlook Handbook. Modern, energy-efficient refrigerators can cost as much as $5,000 to $10,000, and with such a hefty price tag, throwing one away is not an option. In some cases, repairmen can help consumers reduce the amount of aggravation that a broken appliance will cause. Consider the time and effort it takes to shop for a new appliance, wait for its delivery, remove the old one and get the new one installed. In addition, certain appliances such as ovens and washing machines can be a bigger hassle to replace because they are connected to gas and water lines. "It takes your time, it takes your effort, and if you don't install the new appliance, you'll have to hire a service technician to install it anyways," Mr. Brown said. Some consumers bond with their appliances like old pets, and for loyalty or sentimental reasons, refuse to let them go. Mr. Rana said some of his clients have appliances that are more than 30 years old. It makes sense, he said. "A lot of old refrigerators are worth fixing because they give people good service. They just don't make things like they used to."

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

This raises an apparent contradiction. Most people believe that appliances were built much better in the past than they are now and yet in the past a whole industry survived on doing appliance repairs. Perhaps they only seemed to be built better in the past because we kept them longer and the only reason we kept them longer is because we repaired them instead of replacing them. The flipside of that same coin is that perhaps today's appliances only seem to be inferior because we replace them more often and the only reason we replace them more often is because we don't repair them.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

I think the main problem with today's appliances is that they are NOT made so that they can be repaired.

Modules are stamped together, molded together, whatever and the little part that wears out can't be replaced without replacing the whole module, which probably isn't available, anyway, so the appliance gets tossed.

I have an old toaster from the '40s or '50s. It is a mechanical thing, not electronic, and is made of individual parts that can be cleaned, oiled, and if you could get them, replaced as needed. When something like this stops working, less than an hour's work will set it up to run for another

25 years!

Alan

==

It's not that I think stupidity should be punishable by death. I just think we should take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem take care of itself.

Alan Moorman

When I bought this house, there was a problem with the built-in oven (an older Frigidaire). The (mechanical) clock (that I didn't need) wouldn't keep time but made a loud UHH-UHH-UHH noise all the time. I disconnected the wire to it, something I would never have been able to do with a modern oven.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Konichiwa, my friends. Samurai Appliance Repair Man here. Given all the lively discussion the Washington Time article generated, I thought y'all might be interested in reading my take on it:

'Mega-trends in Appliance Repair'

BTW, the paranoia about planned obsolescence is much too simplistic an analysis for the real economic dynamics at work. But, that's just the humble opinion of one "f-ing wanker" who actually works in the trade. ;-)

Samurai Appliance Repair Man 'Fixitnow.com'

Zenzoidman
Zenzoidman's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=583
View this thread: http://www.futurehardware.in/showthread.php?t=565053

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.in
Reply to
Zenzoidman

Hmm, I thought they were genuinely cheap...LOL.

Please pay attention to your posting style. I don't care whether you top post, bottom post or embed posts, but you could trim to make them easier to read. Trying to dig out a few lines from several pages of drivell makes it very hard to follow a thread. Also, the cross posting is likely not necessary. If you read all of those groups and a comment make sense in the context of the discussion in that group, then fine. It is rarely necessary to contimue cross posting and rare that a comment make sense in all of the groups at the same time, however.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 21740 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Where is this plant, who runs it, has it been completed or is it being built, and what does "profitable on some level" actually mean? Recycling has been pursued at many levels for some time, but I am curious to know if someone is actually making a profit at it and what level of recycling is going on. What are the byproducts and environmental costs of the recycling? The idea of recycling is a good thing, but the reality of it is that it is very difficult to make it work in a profitable and environmentally friendly manner in many cases. Can we have some more info or did you just get a whiff of something?

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 21740 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

new stuff is junk. all strategy by companies is to MAKE money for them and TAKE money from you.

somebody seems to think the 'economy' has a life of it's own. they are the thieving corporate thugs who send money to their CEO by the basket loads.

and we as lazy hapless consumers continue to put up with it.

Reply to
<hapticz