cold

All proper roofs are, to some extent. There is an air gap in addition to the rock wool. The air can (very slowly) escape at the ridge line. However, if warmed air would want out it would melt the snow/ice at the ridge. That did not happen. It would also melt the snow on the steel shingles because it would warm them. That did not happen either.

On the garage roof stuff did melt a little. The garage has no insulation in the roof and I worked on my bicycles and other stuff in there. So my body, some machines and the occasionally opened door into the house to get in and out generated heat.

I guess the roof insulation can't be all that bad.

Nope. Build dates range from late 60's to a few years ago.

Yes, but most of all longer. We had years where we had to fire up the wood stove in May, one year even for a day in June. That wasn't the case in the late 90's, you could sit outside in a T-shirt in March back then.

Nope. Temps are the same as usual. In our case 68-70F in the living room and 62-65F in my office.

Most of them don't but I do. However, I already did when we used two cords.

If there is a global warming then we ain't gettin' our fair share :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

They even had their outhouses snowed shut:

So they built two-story outhouses :-)

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Rockwool has an insulation value of about the same as fiberglass batt. It w ithstands much higher temperatures and that's why it's under the roof. The convective air stream is starting out very cold and you probably don't have enough leakage to warm it much so it still stays cold at the vent.

Maybe you're over-ventilating. Do you have any numbers on your actual excha nge rate?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

"hyperventilating"?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I used to have one of those. The problem was the darned upstairs neighbours. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Well, yeah, but if we had heat loss through the cathedral roof there would have to be snow melt somewhere. And there isn't anywhere, niether at the ridge not the gutter area (large 4ft overhangs) nor anywhere else.

I don't, but I am not at all concerned about that. The air stays fresh, in part because the wood stove and pellet stove want they share. When we bought the house I reduced it a tad because at some point we no longer used the open fireplaces. Those were converted with inserts (wood and pellet). In summer the air in the house changes more than once per our, in the office and living area pretty much completely.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

If the roof is ventilated properly the roof will be the same temperature as the air around it. Heat from the house won't melt the snow but heat will (obviously) be lost to the outside.

No such thing.

Reply to
krw

No one's talking about the roof ventilation, dumbass; we were talking about his interior fresh air ventilation to eliminate stale air and mildew.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I'm guessing the ceiling is about R20 during heating season with an even higher equivalent during cooling season because of the rockwool and air ducting.

The only other explanation is you're being short changed on those cords- have you taken a measurement of the delivery ever?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

He certainly was.

Reply to
krw

Possible. The largest heat loss we have is through the single-pane windows but it would be prohibitively expensive to switch those. And it isn't as bad as usual because the glass is very thick.

Yep, they are honest guys. Also, with the way we stack it up after delivery it is easy to see how much is there:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Again, it can't be much. If you have snow on the roof and it is just slightly under freezing during the day this snow will partially melt on not so well insulated houses. On ours it doesn't. If does not matter how the heat gets out, heat is heat and it will melt stuff.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yikes! One skinny yellow plastic gas pipe replaces all that wood!

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yeah, but has to run for 20 miles!

Reply to
RobertMacy

GREAT PHOTO!

Your neatness is irritating beyond belief! The view to the left in the photo looks out over a panorama?

Nice property.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Yeah, show us more.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

Joerg: Your observed that you've been using

5 cords of firewood each winter rather than 2 cords per winter ten years ago. Do you actually think that indicates AGW? The AGW theory I've learned about focuses on a breakdown of the natural heat distribution systems like the ocean thermal conveyor current. If it happens, extremes would not be mitigated by natural distribution systems. If AGW became realized, cold northern states would become colder and hot southern states would become hotter. ie : Since you're in a southern state AGW (if true) would not explain colder winters for you. Colder winters in a southern state runs counter to the AGW theory.
Reply to
Greegor

Yes. And every conceiveble consequence is predicted to be terrible. Floods. Droughts. Storms. Crop failures. Species eradication. Pests. Weeds. Starvation. Wars. Disease. Political instability. Many other Bad Things.

100% bad.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That would require several months of blasting to lay pipes from El Dorado Hills to our town, on account of the ground being mostly bedrock.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, we can see two miles to the south but I like the east view out of my office better:

Those woods is where I busted two rear axles on my mountain bike within the last few weeks. On several of the trails you think you are way out in the wilderness. This is why I always tell my wife where I am heading. Else, if I crash in there they may not find me in time. There's even some cell phone white spaces in there, "cannot find network".

Thanks. But it's a ton of work. When we bought the house we had no idea how much work a fully landscaped 1/2 acre really is.