DVD audio problem on PC

Here's a strange one.

I have an AMD PC based on an Albatron KX18D Pro:

It works fine in every respect except for playing DVD movies.

And then, only for the audio. Video is always OK.

With an internal IDE DVD drive, the audio sometimes breakes up or becomes noisy. The DVD drive is on the secondary IDE port along with a CDROM drive.

With an external USB box with the same type of IDE DVD drive, the video and audio are both fine.

I'm using Media Player Classic and the on-board sound.

Device manager shows no problems.

This must be something trivial like an interrupt conflict, right?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks!

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

You might try making the DVD drive the master on that "chain". But that's just a guess.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

If the player is outputting an S/PDIF signal to the sound card, you might very well have an interrupt problem.

Question... What happens when you play a CD?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

The connection is physically only the IDE connector.

I just tried a CD and it seems to work fine, though I didn't let it go for hours.

Thanks!

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

Make sure DMA is enabled for the DVD Rom drive.

--
Adrian C
Reply to