cholesterol

This is arguably off-topic here, except that it once again illustrates the repeated collective wrongness of experts who operate by professional concensus.

Dump those statins! More ice cream and cheesecake and BBQ ribs!

I'm just starting this book, but it's a lot of fun:

Its perspective is mostly about how genetics, predisposition, affects the way people think. I haven't read it all, but a quick scan looks like it doesn't assign much weight to the power of social inputs (tribal concensus, personal hostility, leader charisma) or of fear (includes fear of being different or wrong) in shaping how people reason.

Electronics is (usually) good training for thinking, because we get complex quantitative puzzles and serious, timely feedback on what we decide to do.

 Click to see the full signature

Sounds like thinly veiled racism. I'll make a point to avoid it, thanks!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature

Predisposition of thinking happens in all populations.

And if different ethnic populations do have different trends of thinking, is understanding that racist?

 Click to see the full signature

If JL likes it it says that conservatives are conservatives because they're just naturally smarter and better people than other kinds of people.

what else could it say.

Reply to
bitrex

Or at least, that's what he interpreted it to say.

Reply to
bitrex

Don't count on getting away with consuming mass quantities of ice cream, cheesecake and BBQ ribs. I haven't had any of the three for some time now.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

You'll never know. Because you don't want to know.

 Click to see the full signature

There are millions of other books in the world I'll never get to read either I suppose life will go on, somehow.

Reply to
bitrex

Of course John Larkin actually is "shallow, misguided, uninformed, and ignorant" but he's too shallow, misguided and ignorant to be aware of this.

So why hasn't it worked for John Larkin? Probably because as soon as he runs into a complex quantitative puzzle he opts to buy an inadequate solution off the shelf.

His approach to anhtropogenic global warming is to believe everything that he gets told by denialist web-sites, which is essentially a bunch of specious arguments that justify ignoring it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

thanks!

John Larkin isn't good at recognising sarcasm. It's part of the shallow, m isguided, uninformed, and ignorant persona that he projects so remarkably c onsistently.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Do you remember when eggs were bad for you? They are a superfood now.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

ction3

John Larkin seems to think that the diet advice business has something to d o with science. He's always been shallow, ill-informed and ignorant, and tr eats self-promoting buffoons (Donald Trump comes to mind) as if they are ju st as credible as scientific authorities.

He doesn't know enough about science to realise that there is a difference, and resists any suggestion that he ought to learn enough to find out.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Actually, I never had any reason to believe that.

And no reason to believe that, either. Food is the word I'd use.

Eat a variety of foods, pay attention to flavors and folllow your appetite. Or don't, but there's no benefit in following fads instead.

Reply to
whit3rd

"Everything in moderation" is the oldest and wisest advice IMO.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes, it'd be nice if ice cream and cheesecake were declared superfoods. In our dreams.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Bill, you are becoming a very crotchety old man.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

As far as I can make out, superfoods have a few characteristics in common: - they have a higher concentration of some useful nutrient or micronutrient - they are eaten in small quantities, so the extra concentration is unimportant w.r.t. nutrition

Also, they are not everyday items, so can be "discovered" and talked about, and marketed.

So, if superfoods are nice, eat some. But don't use them to satisfy nutritional needs.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Food fads are inclined to get endlessly recycled.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the Japanese data unless you are eating a low fat high rice diet with a small amount of high quality oily fish as protein. Likewise for some of the other countries cited in the "study" which also have a preference for oily fish and active lifestyle.

When I lived in Japan my colleagues from the UK would take me out to Western restaurants to feed me up because they thought I was wasting away on my Japanese diet. The reality was that they were all becoming much more rotund and I was getting slightly slimmer and a lot fitter.

Didn't that Atkin's diet bloke advocate that?

There is a survival advantage to a species that has individuals who are mostly concerned with just surviving and maintaining the status quo and also a handful of risk takers who will go out and find new resources.

Abstract thinking and language allows for past knowledge to be made available to future generations initially by word of mouth.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

It is that last of these that makes all the difference. Think goji berries etc. Exotic overpriced and over packaged.

Change the superfood du jour every couple of years and you are onto a sure fire winner selling overpriced "superfoods" to the worried well.

It is a rather curious situation in the West at the moment where rickets is making a come back in children because of indoor lifestyles and high protection factor sunscreen (and a vitamin D/calcium deficient diet).

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

Nothing particularly curious about it.

Required vitamin D intake seems to vary from person to person. I have to ta ke double the standard dose every day to stop my doctor complaining that my vitamin D level tests too low.

It doesn't take too many idiosyncratic patients to make doctors anxious, an d they aren't trained to think about individual variation.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to