Engineers off topic

Dear Engineers: Some engineers post here about subjects that they know little about.

As an example, a popular engineer here posted that our policy in Iraq will just take some time to work and this is my leftist response:

It's not going to work in Iraq. Our knee-jerk reactions only take a brief time to kick us in the face. Look at our national deficit. Look at how we have wasted both money and lives fighting the latest version of the Crusades. Ideological wars are perhaps popular, but never produce anything but grief.

The Iraq invasion is/was an abomination and we already have paid for it to the extent that it has needlessly killed and maimed far too many of the bravest and most dedicated Americans and Iraqis, and has bankrupt us, and we will pay, pay, pay and continue to pay for it into the future, at a time when we need desperately to invest into solutions for global warming, health care, social security, and our future viability as a nation.

Read some history. It goes back to the Crusades. Military invasion cannot transform untenable foreign cultures and religions. It's not our call. And how did we ever think it was so? 9/11 was the most effective strike against this country, EVER. Pearl Harbor ranks second. Shame on us for letting those bastards manipulate our will and our resolve and our thinking and our strategies. Please, don't let them get away with this. Think! You have a brain and an education. Use them.

Reply to
Charles

Duh. This is the Usenet. That's SOP.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl. -- Etaoin Shrdlu

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Are wars good for the economy? Myth...

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

A more interesting question is why someone who apparently knows nothing about electronic design is posting to s.e.d.

John

THE STANDARD ADVICE: There is a way to influence what gets discussed in a newsgroup that works well, and another way that has never worked no matter how many people have tried it. What works: Post articles on the topic you wish to see discussed and participate in the resulting discussion. Use killfiles and filters so that you don't see the articles that you dislike. If you don't know how to use a killfile, use good old fashioned discipline and don't read posts by people who post articles that you dislike. Never, ever respond to articles that you dislike. What doesn't work: Respond to articles that you dislike, complain about articles that you dislike, complain about posters that you dislike, complain about how terrible everyone else is for not posting what you want them to post. Talk about how to respond to articles that you dislike. Make the articles that you dislike the center of attention, the main topic of discussion, and a personal crusade. -Guy Macon

Reply to
Guy Macon

On Nov 12, 7:13=A0pm, D from BC wrote: [....]

"War! What's it good for? Absolutely nothing"

Coming out of the great depression, the economy was growing at about

6% a year up to Dec 7, 1941. WW2 made the numbers look good for a while but the late 1940's showed what had really happened. Vietnam gave us the "Nixon economic mess". We should expect the same from the Iraq war. A great deal of wealth has been sent to the middle east and blown up.

In terms of real damage to the US by the event, Dec 7 was a much bigger hit that Sept 11. After Sept 11, the US declared war on the people who actually did it. There were also prison camps for the Japanese so not all was well done.

The US lucked out on Dec 7 in that generally competent people where in charge. People knew this and could trust them to take action. As a result it did not strike at the confidence of the nation like Sept 11 did.

I'll leave the link.

Reply to
MooseFET

Yes indeed, an interesting question. One possibility is that a few regular posters to s.e.d. who know almost nothing significant or worthwhile about a looming environmental crisis (yet feel compelled to hold forth) trigger some bullshit detectors.

If you know about EE, post here, and please limit yourself to the charter of this newsgroup.

If you believe you know lots of additional stuff, and you are compelled to share, find appropriate venues.

Perhaps you sometimes post off topic musings here because you are bored and know that some others here share your biased points of view and are guaranteed instant positive feedback/gratification and you need to feed your ego. Sort of like rednecks at the local bar.

And then, a PITA comes along. And gets beat up by the rednecks.

Reply to
Charles

If you don't like it, leave. We don't need you, or your attitude. You don't even know who is what, but you are trying to play net cop.

If you want to talk about AGW, there are plenty of wacko groups where you would be right at home.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ah, a netcop. Enjoy.

John

I still wish I knew what he was "teaching engineers."

John

The world is changing now as maybe never before. No longer is a small group of developed countries in charge. China, India, Russia, South and Central America, are all catching up, as they have every right to do so. Some day the USA won't be such a dominant military or political power. But that's not "destroyed." That goal is in fact what the USA has been fighting to achieve for 60 years or so... to encourage democracy and industry in the rest of the world, so that they *can* catch up.

Vietnam was "lost" politically; if our armed forces had been given free reih to fight, they would have starved the Viet Cong of food, ammo, and men, and we would probably have gotten a Korea-like settlement. It wasn't the soldiers who were lacking here.

Sure. Lesson learned.

Obviously.

or they are not paying enough attention to their

I'm saying that the US military has been, and is, a brave and effective fighting force, and they do what they have sworn to do, and are generally a courageous, honorable, decent bunch of men and women.

As I'm starting to suspect you aren't.

John

If it "feels good" it's "fact", e.g. AGW ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

 Think things are bad now?  Wait until Obama "takes care" of you.

How not to do a job right?

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

And the donkey?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Michael A. Terrell

In article , snipped-for-privacy@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com says...>

Jim Detected it.

Reply to
krw

Speaking of pot-kettle-black, when was the last time you posted anything even remotely related to electronics?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

essage

y know

regular

bout a

er some

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Jim is ignorant enough to find this plausible.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

look up "Salem Hypothesis "

SNIP

My apologies ... obviously posted to the wrong group (I admit that I had unreasonable expectations).

It seems that the only posters welcome here know a lot about a little, and very little about a lot ... and trash other ideas by demeaning those who disagree by questioning if they know enough about a little; seems strange when those who hold forth here very often post about a lot.

I finally get it. One must know a lot about a little and then can post here about a lot; but only if their post aligns with the politics.

Everybody is ignorant. All one has to do to prove it is to take them out of their backyard.

Reply to
Charles

Poor baby.

...Jim Thompson

     Liberals are so cute.  Dumb as a box of rocks, but cute.