On Again, Off Again Microphone

I use-- or try to use-- a Radio Shack cassette microphone to record tapes o n a Panasonic tape recorder. I don't need an expensive mic, but I want one that works and this one only works sporadically. I'm beginning to notice th at these Radio Shack mikes have a limited life span: they'll work great for a few weeks then die a quiet death. the one I have now is working, but I d on't know for how long; it may stop working for a week or more-- or it may not ever work again. Does anyone know why these microphones are so unreliab le (besides being cheap)? Or better still, a simple way to keep them workin g?

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Panasonic tape recorder. I don't need an expensive mic, but I want one that works and this one only works sporadically. I'm beginning to notice that these Radio Shack mikes have a limited life span: they'll work great for a few weeks then die a quiet death. the one I have now is working, but I don't know for how long; it may stop working for a week or more-- or it may not ever work again. Does anyone know why these microphones are so unreliable (besides being cheap)? Or better still, a simple way to keep them working?

Model? Type?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ron wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Most of them consist of a FET transistor with the base floating, and picking up signal capacitively. So any static spark can easely destroy them, when you touch the connector. BUT, they are cheap, and sensitive. Handle with care.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

"Sjouke Burry"

** Hog wash.

Electret mics are not subject to any such failure mode.

In any case, the OP's mic is probably dynamic.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yep, that's the one. Funny how quickly they self-destruct. Almost makes ya want to pay that extra five bucks for the extended warranty....

Ron

___________________

"In the beginning was the rhythm, but I had forgotten and I was waiting for the word."

-- Ray Manzarek --

Reply to
Ron

"Ron" "Phil Allison"

** The mic capsule is very small and the impedance is 600ohms = lotsa hair fine wire used in the voice coil.

Hair fine copper wire PLUS crappy Pb free solder = recipe for sudden failures.

Hint: It's the flux....

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

on a Panasonic tape recorder. I don't need an expensive mic, but I want on e that works and this one only works sporadically. I'm beginning to notice that these Radio Shack mikes have a limited life span: they'll work great f or a few weeks then die a quiet death. the one I have now is working, but I don't know for how long; it may stop working for a week or more-- or it ma y not ever work again. Does anyone know why these microphones are so unreli able (besides being cheap)? Or better still, a simple way to keep them work ing? Ron

Okay... I see why they fail, but why the failure, then after a week or a mo nth, it works again for a while?

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Intermittent.

Take one apart. Got VOM ?

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Is it a condenser mic? They use batteries.

Mic input on the recorder could have broken solder connections.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

If it has a battery, corrosion in the battery compartment is the most likely cause. Whilst zinc-carbon batteries produce corrosion that is usually fairly obvious, the corrosion from alkaline batteries is sometime impossible to see. Luckily it is easy to remove with a cloth dampened with tap water or with a wetted nylon scouring pad.

Don't forget to clean the battery as well as the contacts in the holder. If that cures it, throw away the original battery and buy a good quality one.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

5 PM UTC-8, Ron wrote: >> I use-- or try to use-- a Radio Shack cassette mi crophone to record >> tapes on a Panasonic tape recorder. I don't need an e xpensive mic, but I >> want one that works and this one only works sporadic ally. I'm beginning >> to notice that these Radio Shack mikes have a limite d life span: they'll >> work great for a few weeks then die a quiet death. the one I have now is >> working, but I don't know for how long; it may sto p working for a week >> or more-- or it may not ever work again. Does anyon e know why these >> microphones are so unreliable (besides being cheap)? Or better still, a >> simple way to keep them working? Ron > > Okay... I see why they fail, but why the failure, then after a week or a > month, it work s again for a while? > > Ron Intermittent. Take one apart. Got VOM ? Greg

Not these days-- a sad story I wont bore you with. But if I had one, what w ould I be looking for? It's pretty certain that I'll buy one again, and it won't last any longer than an ice cube on a hot day. :-)

Ron

__________________

"Some success, some failure; but either way the gnawing hunger to know is n ever sated, and the road to the Unknown continues to be dark and strange."

?? Control Voice (The Outer Limits) ??

Reply to
Ron

Continuity. You should also hear clicking using a meter. Lightly pushing around the mic element might make the connection good for some instant, or it might temporally fix itself. Put leads on connector while doing this, and also watch meter. I would rather use an analog meter. The wires on the mic are very small.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

This is pretty much curiosity, it's unlikely you can fix mic element. I don't think the switch is bad, but it could be the cable connection.

Greg

Reply to
gregz