CAT Scan/Code Blue

Strange incident yesterday morning...

I'm in hospital to get a carbuncle removed from my scalp.

While I'm in the prep room I hear "Code Blue Cat Scan Code Blue Cat Scan Code Blue Cat Scan Code Blue Cat Scan Code Blue."

20 minutes later while being wheeled to the operating theater I see a large Hispanic family standing at the entrance to the CAT Scan area, obviously in grief.

I'm puzzled how one might die during a CAT Scan? Perhaps they were looking for a bullet ????

...Jim Thompson

Some time ago, my mother was having a CAT scan, when lightning was around. The flashes, and the equipment made her think of something reminiscent of a Frankenstein movie. Fortunately did not worry her overmuch, but the lady in the next room, started to have hysterics, and a little latter, a crash team was called as she went into convulsions. Scans are a traumatic event, and any such event, can potentially trigger a heart attack...

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Wasn't there anybody at the hospital that you could have asked? All we can do is speculate, which, as you know, can get a little wild.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Good point. I had a CAT scan of my sinuses one time, and the closeness/confinement was rather disconcerting.

...Jim Thompson

If you had instead asked about MRI (actually NMR) scans, I could have launched into all the dangers about carrying steel tools or carts or gas cylinders too near a live superconducting magnet :-).

My favorite story ends with the punch line "We could figure out what was holding the toolbox to the magnet, but we couldn't figure out what was holding Hans to the toolbox" :-).

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

There was a case here in the East Valley, where a loose O2 tank got sucked into the machine, killing the occupant :-(

...Jim Thompson

We had a local incident where a young boy was killed by a steel O2 tank that got sucked into the scanner. Only non-ferrous tanks are supposed to be in the MRI area.

snipped-for-privacy@topica.com/msg02358.html

Reply to
Oppie

We all know about the MRI magnets - but a CAT scan is _not_ an MRI. It's a big ring of digital X-ray scanners. There's lots of volts around, but not a heck of a lot of magnetic field.

I think Mr. Thompson could have got a much more definitive answer to his question if he'd asked some hospital worker, who might have actually known the circumstances.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

====================================== No... he should ask his vet about a cat scanner!

Reply to
BobG

Greasy is such a druggy he doesn't know that hospital workers won't tell you about YOURSELF.

...Jim Thompson

Maybe they just don't like pigheaded neocon fools.

And, FWIW, intentionally misspelling my name to botch up the pronunciation really doesn't raise your credibility level very much.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

They prescribed one Vallium for me for the tunnel of closeness.

BTW, he MRI induced pink clouds floating in a blue sky for me when I had my eyes closed. Yes, they were doing my head. Found nothing ;-)

Al

Reply to
Al

HEY! I'm a vet and I don't want no stinkin' cats near any of MY scanners! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A hospital in the area used to have a mobile unit in an aluminum trailer, parked about 20 feet from a highway. It would have been interesting if a piece of steel got loose from a load, and pulled into the trailer. It is inside the new hospital they built about five years ago.

"Rich, the high priestess of lung cancer" will love this news story! That same hospital has banned all smoking as of January 1st, 2007. All employee and visitor smoking is banned, including inside a car in the parking lot.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Probably checking the damage on a stroke victim and s/he stroked again or the existing bleeding got out of control.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Out of curiosity, did you sense an elevated level of Ozone?

Martine Riddle

[snip]

I don't recall any such sensory response. I was DEFINITELY near a panic attack, face-down in a confined space... I was very glad when it was over ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I had a full body MRI once, from head to toe, and man, it took a lot of effort to find my little calm and peaceful place in that machine!

First, it was a tube, not much bigger in diameter than my shoulders, and completely blocked my field of view, and second, it was extremely noisy: Braak, braak, braak, braak, .... brum, brum, brum, brum,..., grunk, grunk, grunk, grunk, ... grang, grang, grang, grang, ... grong, grong, grong, ....

And on and on it went for 30 minutes. "Don't move now, or we'll have to do it again." It was so loud that they gave me a rather pathetic set of ear protectors. When it was doing my head, I could hear little clicking noises inside of my ears and head.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

--
There _are_ drugs which could make it easier on you next time and
not affect the outcome of the test.

Ask your doctor.
Reply to
John Fields

Hmm. I had an MRI for a hearing problem a few years back. Fell asleep in the machine.

Have gnu, will travel.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.