strange blue laser optics

I got a couple of these, to maybe cure UV-set epoxy.

It came with a big lithium battery and a charger.

Two weird things:

If I shoot it at a white wall, I can see the spot with my right eye, but not with my left one. The right eye has had cataract lens replacement.

I got a mild headache from just looking at the spot on the wall for under a minute total. I also get a mild headache from using a UV flashlight.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

fredag den 13. marts 2020 kl. 00.02.22 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

My eye doctor, a really cool guy, blasted my right eye with his old CW argon ion laser, to spot-weld my retina to the back of my eyeball. That kinda hurt. He's Thai and his first and last names are both about

20 characters long, so everybody calls him Dr B. My retina was mostly detatched and getting worse, so he came in at 10 PM and fixed it.

He also removed a secondary cataract by cutting a hole in the rear of my lens capsule with a pulsed yag.

The blue "burning" laser makes a very hot spot if you focus it carefully.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I 'like' the description "High quality and perfect design." where have we heard 'perfect' before? And why should you trust them?

I'm very suspicious of any and all unregulated products from China. They claim it is 405nm, but unless you have a spectrum analyzer you have no idea if it is also emitting UV-B or other dangerous UV radiation. Perhaps you could lend one to Winfield - I imagine he has one of those S.A.s rattling around his shop!

Wear proper UV safety glasses (at a minimum UV-A/B rated sun glasses) when using this.

I'd treat it like light from an arc-welder, dangerous until proven otherwise.

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

Well, toothpicks are dangerous too, if you poke one in your eye.

It seems to work. The spot, well focussed, feels very hot on my hand, so it's a lot of power. It came with a spot-matrix-pattern diffuser installed, which might be prudent to leave in place for curing epoxy. Amazing for under $10.

I wish I had a wideband spectrum analyzer, ideally something like 350 to 1700 nm. All the available OSAs go for extreme resolution over a narrow range, well under an octave. I just want to know about what the wavelength of a laser or LED is.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

John Robertson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Because they are such 'great businessmen'.

Finished at the top of their class...

All work is performed by stable geniuses. But all the facts about how they operate are 'classified'.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Available as in available at your shop? Otherwise, there are quite a few good (but $$$) options, e.g.

? David

Reply to
David Nadlinger

If you only want an approximate number you can get that by comparing the co lor by eye. Look at the laser spot on white paper, look at a known LED on the same white paper. You should be able to get within a few 10s of nm. T he eye is very sensitive to pure colors.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

A CD or DVD disk does not help?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Some artificial lenses are transparnt to UV, your original lens is not.

Possilby your visual cortex stressed by the significantly different inputs.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

There was a Car Talk puzzler many years ago that hinged on that--optical signalling to the French resistance using UV filters that made the flashes visible to old men (who had had cataracts removed) but not to young German soldiers.

UV epoxy is usually designed for Hg I-line (365-nm) peak sensitivity. I generally use a 380-nm LED, which works fine. How well does your 405 work?

CHeers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You can do that with a CD and a ruler, with an IR viewer for the longer wavelengths. (I have a somewhat-broken lead salt vidicon camera that used to go out to 2.2 um.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Unless you're colour blind..... Not so easy !

Reply to
TTman

And even with normal vision, that kind of resolution is only available between 450 and 600 nm at best.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Bondic comes with a fairly wimpy blue LED, and it sets the stuff up hard in seconds. Clear through vias to the bottom of the board.

I haven't tried my super laser on Bondic. I'll do that today.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

Or unless you are wondering if a laser is 850, 1310, or 1550 nm.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

So it wouldn't be difficult to design a small wide-range, low resolution spectrometer, with some cheap gratings, an IR sensitive webcam, and a little software.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

Sure does at 450nm!

--

Jeff
Reply to

We are buying a bunch of custom machined extrusions from China, as small instrument boxes. We will locally blue anodize them and their custom end plates, to keep the colors uniform. Then we plan to add the artwork by blasting off the anodize with a CO2 laser.

I think the n/c laser will cost around $3K or so.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

Right, provided you always start with a collimated beam. "IR-sensitive webcam" is the hard part. An Electrophysics 7290A from eBay and a USB frame grabber would be the ticket for that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs