"Electric Nightmare" story from 1973. really interesting, but is it feasible?

I always remembered a story I had read in Reader's Digest as kid, about strange phenomena that occured in a hosue due to downed power lines. I was delighted to stumble upon a text copy of the actual story, apparently released to public domain (story attached). After re-reading it now, I can't help but wonder how accurate the details are, or if the author made the whole thing up. Web searches for the names, places, etc in the story don't turn up anything. Its a hell of a story either way though, but I'm curious what you guys think.

here's the full story, posted as found:

Originally published in Reader's Digest, June 1973

An Electric Nightmare

By John Robben

I awoke that Saturday morning of August 28, 1971, knowing that something was wrong. Outside our house in Stamford,Conn., the woods were dripping from an all-night rain. But who, or what, had awakened and alerted me? I got out of bed to look around, feeling a curious chill on the back of my neck. "Dad?" my eldest daughter, Sue, 16, called from her room. "Is something wrong?" "Did you hear anything?" I asked. "No. But something woke me up. I'm scared." On the stair landing, I strained my ears but heard nothing. Perhaps something other than a noise had awakened me. A light? Yes, it had been a light, unusually and oddly white. Or had I only dreamed it? Then I looked down the stairs, and noticed a tiny light flickering at the base of the double front doors. A firefly? At this time of morning? I went back to the bedroom, slipping on a pair of sneakers and went down to investigate. At the door, there were now two flickering lights. As I leaned down to take a closer look, the two lights erupted into 10 or 12 and began to bzzzzz. Electricity! What had awakened me was a flash of light. I bolted back up the stairs, shouting, to arouse my wife and all five children. My first thought was to get everyone out of the house. I herded them all toward the back door. But as we came into the kitchen, an odd, gurgling sound -like sloshing water- started up from the basement. I yanked open the cellar door, and was greeted with a cloud of blue smoke, shot through with orange and yellow flashes of light. Instinctively I turned on the light switch-and got a terrific shock. "Don't touch any thing!" I yelled. The children began to panic and cry. I slid open the back glass door leading onto the stoop. We stood there a moment, poised in fear. The woods were shrouded in mist, dripping with rain, and in the gray halflight of dawn looked eerie. It didn't seem any safer out there than inside. To run or stay? Our large and willful dog made up our minds for us. Determined to get out, Trooper made a dash for the door. My wife grabbed him by the collar, but he pulled her out onto the landing. "Hang onto him, Margie!" I shouted. How strong is habit, even in a crisis. I was worried about his running around, barking, and waking up the neighbors at this hour. He bounded down the five wooden steps of the stoop, dragging Margie with him. He was pulling her off balance and I yelled at her to let him go. Too late! As the dog's paws touched the wet grass he yelped and leaped away, jerking my wife to the ground. Instantly she began screaming and thrashing convulsively on the grass. I ran down the steps. "I'm being electrocuted!" she shouted. "Don't touch me!" I froze. "Oh, God!" she cried. "Save the children." I saw what looked like a wire beneath her twisting body. If I touched her, I figured, I would be trapped and helpless as she was. I don't know where I got the strength to leave her and return to the house, but there was no choice. I had to save the children first. They were gone from the kitchen. They'd fled back upstairs when their mother screamed. At my order, they came running down again. "We've got to get out," I said. "Hurry!" The walls were humming ominously now, the buzzing and sparking from the basement growing louder as I led the children out of the kitchen and down the steps. On the slate walk, single file, we went past Margie. She was still writhing on the grass, screaming for God's help and for us not to touch her. "Is Mom dying?" Sue cried. "I don't know," I said. The children wailed even louder. I took them down the walk and past the corner of the house, where the grounding rod for our house's wiring system was spluttering and shooting flames like a Roman candle. We ran across a bluestone driveway and through evergreen bushes onto our neighbors' property. Apparently awakened by my wife's screams, Stan and Rhoda Spiegelman were standing on their high porch. I saw terror in their eyes as they must have seen it in ours. "Margie's being electrocuted. Our house is on fire!" I shouted. "Call the ambulance. Call the police!" Then, pointing the children toward our neighbors' house, I started back for my wife. But I hadn't taken more than three steps when I heard the children begin to scream. Spinning around, I saw that while three of them had reached the safety of the porch, Sued and her youngest sister, Ellen, were down thrashing on the ground. For the first time I realized that the earth itself was electrified. Suspended between wife and daughters, I stood paralyzed, unable to move in either direction. Any moment now I expected to be grabbed and flung to the ground myself. I could feel a tingling sensation through the soles of my sneakers. Unlike my wife, whose entire body was pinned to the earth, the two trapped girls, crouched on hands and knees, were able somehow to crawl. Ellen inched toward Stan, my neighbor, who had started out to help her, felt a shock on his feet, and retreated to his wooden steps. His wife ran through her house, flung open a ground-level door and called to Sue from there. When I saw that the girls were going to make it, I started after Margie. She was still thrashing on the ground. The wire I thought she was lying on was only a piece of rope. But when I bent over and touched her, a terrific shock slammed my arm. I let go. Then I grabbed an ankle and jerked her toward me, letting go as the shock struck again. I continued to grab and jerk, six or seven times, to get her away from the electric field to safer ground. On about the seventh pull I received no shock, and Margie lay still, sobbing. After a moment she was able to raise her head off the ground. I lifted her up and held her in my arms. "The children ?" she asked "They're okay." She wept helplessly. I helped her walk away from our house, past the now quiescent grounding rod and into our neighbors' back yard. There, waiting at the ground-floor door, were the children. They came running into our arms.

The police arrived a short time later and drove Margie and Sue to the hospital. The firemen came, but the fire was already out. Stan and I inspected the damage. It was remarkably little. The electricity was off, of course, and the clocks stopped at 6:10 a.m. The motor in the freezer in the basement was burnt out. That was the extent of the fire. We opened the cellar windows to let the smoke and smell out. There was no damage upstairs, but the nails in the cedar shingles on the front of the house had charred the wood. Opening the front door, where I'd spied the first sign of danger, I got a good look at what had happened. The broad trunk of a dead tree, its stability weakened by several days of wind and rain, lay sprawled across our driveway, about 150 feet from the house. In falling it had knocked down a cluster of wires. Including -we were told later- a two-cable circuit that normally carried 13,200 volts. Ordinarily these two cables would have touched, short-circuited and blown a power-line fuse, cutting the current off. But for reasons still not entirely clear to us, this failed to happen. Instead, the electricity ran wild. First it had gone into our well, burning out the pump. "But that didn't satisfy it," said the electrician who came to repair the damage the following day. "So it kept trying to find a ground for its force somewhere else." That's when it slithered into our house like some evil thing, into our food freezer and our wiring. The "fireflies" I had seen were actually droplets of rain which had become energized when they rolled onto the metal stripping at the base of the front door. And, in its relentless hunger, the electricity spread itself over a section of wet ground, creating an "energized field."**(see note at bottom) It was probably the diffusion of its energy over this comparatively large area that saved my wife's life. Strong enough to cause her to lose muscular control and keep her pinned to the ground for seven agonizing minutes, the current wasn't concentrated enough to kill her. The doctor who examined her at the hospital that morning said she had suffered no heart damage. However, for months afterward she suffered recurring pains in her arms and legs. Meanwhile, repairs to our electrical system and freezer cost only $437.25. For the next three nights we slept in the home of friends who were away on vacation. They had a large new house. We each could have had a bedroom to ourselves, but instead we chose to sleep, side by side, on the floor of their playroom. Even together like that, we were uneasy, and we left the lights burning all night. On the fourth day we returned to our own house, after an electrician had checked it out from top to bottom. The first night there was eerie. My wife turned in with some of the children and I with the others. Finally, toward morning, I fell asleep, but awakened suddenly with a strange feeling. I looked at the clock and saw that it was 6:10 -the precise moment when time had stopped for us four days earlier. At breakfast, when my wife proposed selling our house, I agreed immediately. It has been well over a year now since that terrifying morning. Though we still have nightmares about it, in our new home we have chosen not to be fearful. As a philosopher once said, "The story of Job is man's lot. But it does no good to audition daily for the part."

**Apparently - as electrical engineer Bernard Schwartz explained later- the "hot" cable fell to the earth, while its companion "neutral" cable caught in a tree or came to rest on a non-conducting boulder. Thus for the circuit to be completed, the current had to reach the nearest point where the neutral cable was grounded: at a transformer installation, two poles away. Under the given geology and ground conditions, the route lay through the Robbens' house and yard. As a result, there was a current flow -lasting approximately 20 minutes- which was finally sufficient to blow a line fuse.
Reply to
NG Neer

Sounds pretty dubious.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

You had to quote the whole goddamned story for a frikkin' three word answer?

Jim

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

"NG Neer"

** Do they really have 13.2 kV cable pairs running along on poles in the USA where one of the pair is neutral ??

Would have expected them to be two phase with the neutral created locally when the voltage is transformed down.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Aside from possible technical issues, I loved the part where the wife screams "I'm being electrocuted!" she shouted. "Don't touch me!". Who the hek would have that kind of presence of mind during a surprise electrocution?? lol

Reply to
NG Neer

I think that isn't all that uncommon in rural areas. A single phase of the 13.2kv is split off to feed one or more transformers for a cluster of homes.

Reply to
NG Neer

That's his story for why he bravely left her writhing on the ground for seven minutes..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

You've missed Phil's point. It's 'split off' from 3 phases where there likely isn't a neutral.

Chris

Reply to
christofire

I've read that after a dry spell which allows dust to accumulate, a gentle rain will create a conductive path because of the dirt in the water, maybe true. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

er?

snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Yes, because some topics I like to 'archive' under my own name.

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

So what are the phase voltages relative to earth?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

    Boris Mohar
Reply to
Boris Mohar

Natural selection ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Liberalism is a persistent vegetative state

Due to excessive spam, gmail, googlegroups, UAR, and AIOE blocked!

You could always top post in that case :-)

Reply to
NG Neer

One-over-root-three times the line voltage, which exists between the two conductors. In effect, the tapped-off two-wire supply is centre-tapped to earth - because the star point at the 3-phase sending end would likely be earthed, to prevent the whole system gaining an unlimited static charge! As has been said, a new earthed neutral would be provided at the step-down transformer providing the domestic supply by earthing one end of its secondary winding. The (UK) book says this is provided by numerous copper tapes laid in the ground underneath the transformer or near the base of the pole.

Chris

Reply to
christofire

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Darwin Award?

Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Almost

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

In safety school, they said to use a stick or your belt or something to pry/pull them loose.

D'ya think maybe it was the noise of the falling tree that woke them up? ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

IME, falling trees (where the tree actually breaks) often make loud cracking sounds as they begin to fall. My neighbor across the road had a large double-trunk tree that was probably hit by lightning during a storm, and I was in the house and did not hear it fall, but it took out the 13 kV line and fell across the road, but was prevented from hitting any cars when it was caught by my maple tree. A friend later told me that he was driving on the road when he saw it fall.

About a year later, I was doing work in my yard, and occasionally I heard an odd crack and pop sound. I went to my house, and as it grew louder and more frequent, I saw the top of the remaining trunk start to sway, and then it finally fell, just missing my neighbor's house, with a resounding crash.

Some years ago, after a powerful storm had finally passed, I went up the path to my outhouse to take care of some much needed business. While I was in there, I heard a cracking sound, so I hurried out and back down the path, while the sound intensified and eventually I heard a big crash and thud in the darkness. I ventured back up the path with my flashlight, and just about 20 feet past the outhouse my way was blocked by the trunk, branches, and leaves of a huge old locust tree that had finally given up its hold on the earth. Lots of good firewood from that one!

As for the story, I think it was amped up a bit for effect, but many of the phenomena seem possible. I suppose if the neutral wire also fell and landed on the ground near the HV cable, the return path would have been shorter (or a "short"), and the effects of high current through the ground would not have caused problems in the house. The 13 kV line along my road shares its neutral with the three-wire 240 VAC service from the pole pig, but there are sections where there are just the line and neutral. The nearest three phase is about 300 ft up the road, at an intersection. I'd like to have three phase power, but it would be mighty expensive!

I was told by a BGE technician that it was a 13 kV line. But it seems that pole pigs are generally rated 7200 V or 14.4 kV, although the line may be a bit lower.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen