Can a Phalanx shoot down a Rocket Propelled Grenade?

Phalanx is supposed to shoot down exocet sea skimming missles, and some top attack missles, using a 4500 round per minute 20mm radar guided gatling gun. What's the range of an RPG? Will the Phalanx lock on and track within this range?

Reply to
BobG

I got a real close-up look at one of these about 30 years ago, and got to ask some questions. (That was back when the tracking computers and servo drivers took up several racks worth of equipment.) The operator told me the thing would track its own rounds and could correct the trajectory of each (next) round in to the face-on nose of an exocet to hit it in as little as 5 rounds. Based on that, I'd say it could probably hit an RPG in flight, especially when you consider the numerous upgrades to hardware and software in the past 30 years.

TP.

Reply to
tlb

Would there be room? Isn't an RPG generally considered a short-range weapon, used in close quarters (like a city block or so)?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Who is stronger: a bear or a wolf? A bear has bigger ass, but a wolf has a longer dick.

What is the point of your question?

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

At some point in time, Harpoon missles were able to defeat Phalanx with a maneuver they could use. Worse, just a very few of them could sink most anything -- they used to use C6 explosives (not C4.) The US was actually worried about the fact that Iran had some of them and sincerely hoped they were non-functional due to lack of support parts.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

I know some people who are working on an RPG gadget.

Google "Textron rpg defense"

John

On 04/23/2009 01:46 PM, BobG sent:

To those of you who are military/ex-military or those who know the answer, please remember the meaning of OPSEC for the sake of those who may come in harms way.

God bless those who we place in danger. That is the price of our freedom.

Pete

--
1PW  @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]
Reply to

"BobG" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@u9g2000pre.googlegroups.com...

Maybe. If not, try the goalkeeper.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

The CWIS can most assuredly put down an RPG and even faster moving projectiles. That is its whole purpose.

Since an RPG has such a short range, the CWIS would likely get trained on the source as well, and obliterate it too.

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Goalkeeper can acquire at 1500m and kill at 300m, aiming at a supersonic missle. An RPG has self destructs at 4.5sec, about 1000m, so I guess it travels 222m/sec.... which is subsonic. If a rubber boat gets within 1000m, go to track mode.

Reply to
BobG

Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote in news:nz5Il.15101$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi150.ffdc.sbc.com:

No,not "some top-attack missiles". Those are anti-armor guided missiles,and those don't carry Phalanx.

about 1000 yds max,typically 400 yds.The missile travels fairly slow,too.

RPG is only 85 mm in diameter,I suspect it's too small for Phalanx.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"petrus bitbyter" wrote in news:49f0f588$0$19300$ snipped-for-privacy@dreader28.news.xs4all.nl:

On an 85mm diameter missile? Uh-uh.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The Textron thing, in theory, stops the rpg without detonating it,

John

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Phalanx uses Ku band... 11-18 Ghz... whats the minimum target detectable at that freq? 1 wavelength? 1/4 wavelength?

Reply to
BobG

Sunburn - supersonic sea skimming with terminal evasion ability

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Yeah, the final maneuver is what makes avoidance work out sometimes. I know the maneuver for our Harpoon but don't know the odds. I do know that folks "in the know" were very worried, though. The Sunburn is much newer so I expect that it uses what was able to be gleaned from Harpoon and takes it further. I wonder if some have been bought and tested by the US, yet. But these things aren't that expensive to make, compared to the ships they can destroy. If the explosives used are anything like what was used in Harpoon, it won't take many either.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

You also have to bear in mind that it is unlikely they will be fired one at a time with a decent interval between them. Being supersonic the engagement time is very short. Max speed around 1500mph and capable of skimming down to 15m above sea level. (Though I doubt that speed at that height for long).

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax