BIOS problem

You don't just use printf's? ;-)

Reply to
krw

A lot of our processors don't have printer interfaces! We do sometimes blink an LED or wiggle a test-point port pin to trace realtime program execution.

This one has 13 ARM processors, one manager and 12 of them in electrically isolated i/o channels.

We're having all the ARMs programmed by a distributor with boot loaders in their on-chip flash. We plug one serial flash chip into a socket for all the runtime firmware. At powerup, the main CPU boots its runtime code into RAM from the serial flash and then loads all 12 slave processors with their actual runtime code, too.

We have JTAG socket footprints on all 13 cpu's, but we don't solder them in unless we need them.

All pretty far away from plugging a graphics card into some mobo game machine.

John

"if you even know what that means."

Less than three lines up. You can't even read.

I think a few of your layers are dysfunctional.

Another one I am RIGHT about.

You lose, again, John Larkin.

You should adjust your transport layer such that the crap you call posts end up in file 13.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Go to an English course, idiot.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Add grammar and punctuation, while you are at it.

You lack in each respect.

Have you ever played Nethack, troll?

If the answer is no, then you have little business treating me as if I do not know anything about computers, much less operating systems.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

More like YOU DON'T actually understand what is going on.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

Bwuahahahahaahahahaaha!

Said the dopey bastard that can't even figure out RS-232.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

G > OOps! =A0Who is Jack Shephard?

Y'know, the odd thing is that There actually is a Jack Shephard who lives in El Cajon and used to live in San Diego!

Reply to
Greegor

John likes setting up his future insults with veiled insulting set-ups like this. I think he like shooting himself in the head instead of the foot, when he talks about something he knows absolutely nothing about.

PCs come down to three things.

The MOBO Assembly (complete) (for those with a clue, "Edwina")

The case

The PS

The CPU and fan/heat sinks are usually sold already paired, and the mobo they mount to as well, and both already have STANDARD mounting footprints for that class of CPU. You get the mobo/cpu/RAM together. Nearly all have sound, and many have video these days, but you can add either or both as needed. So the MOBO assembly is cake, unless you are a complete Bozo. Remember to observe proper ESD handling and assembly practices at all times, unless that too is over your head, Skybuck.

After that zero "stable design fiddling" requisite task, one only needs to get a case that will fit that MOBO/CPU/FAN/HEATSINK/VIDCARD assembly set up.

Then, a modern high power, tight regulation supply.

Two more also zero "fiddling" tasks.

One, two, three.

CPU, CASE, SUPPLY

So your claim falls flat on its face, before you even get out of the starting gate, asswipe.

You lose, again.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Ever burn up a hundred thousand dollar proto board doing a boundary scan analysis?

If the answer is no, then shut the f*ck up, JTAG boy.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

VW > Note that he runs Forte Agent 4.2/32.1118:

# Version: 4.2/32.1118 # Date added: January 15, 2009 # Price: Free to try (30-day trial); $29.00 to buy # Operating system: Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP/NT

VW > I wonder where the Linux went? VW > Maybe it's a Knoppix he can't install. VW > Virg Wall

LOLOLOL

Reply to
Greegor

Had you chosen a higher priced CPU, you would have seen the "daughtercard" option selector light up, and then would have seen the serial port card available for it.

But THAT box will run up the bill far more.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Get wifi and or blue tooth and use a tablet to walk around looking at the data, while the ITX PC sits on the bench orchestrating everything. The Dell tablet looks pretty nice.

Still, you should look at the better cpu MOBOs they have, because their top of the line looks better than that baseline POS.

At that level, however, they want a fortune. Double overpriced reseller crap. Probably not even their motherboards, now that I think about it.

I'll build my own and do the same things, thanks.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

code.

s.e.d for my bad language.\n");

Did I say I was running it on *THIS* machine, you retarded twit?

NO!

Also, dumbfuck, I can run Agent from within any number of Linux based DVMs. So using it as my client is no indicator of a goddamned thing EITHER.

You are about as stupid as it gets. I was administering networks before you were born probably. I worked with peer-to-peer 2Mb ENET and

286 workstations! Then, there was TCNS, a little joust you probably have no clue about. Run to google, asshole

You are an idiot!

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

We don't use boundary scan, and we avoid mistakes on that sort of scale. We rarely burn up even big chips, and very rarely damage entire boards. All you need to do is be careful.

You are proud of a $100K mistake? Did it make you a better janitor?

John

I see you've already found your solution, but just for the record:

Asus mother boards have "Restore on Power Loss" as a BIOS setting. Just to check, I set my Asus M2A-VM to "(Power On") and it boots up after a power interruption. (I turn off the input AC power each night, so this saves my pressing the "On" button on the computer case.)

I have five operating systems in this box, with GRUB set to boot the last one in use. This sort of thing might come in handy if you need to expand on the use you described.

--
Virg Wall
Reply to

On the netbook that I'm replacing this with, I already use a USB-serial dongle, and that works, so I'll leave that part alone.

John

code.

s.e.d for my bad language.\n");

I was working as a communications engineer at Bell Labs long before

*you* were born. I was a Registered Professional Engineer before you were born.

Just for fun, could you post to this group using one of your many Linux distro's? Pick any one of your many nyms---we'll all know it's you!

post the output of uname -a, if you know what that is.

Here's mine for this set-up:

[vwall@localhost ~]$ uname -a Linux localhost 2.6.26.8.tex3 #1 SMP Mon Jan 12 04:33:38 CST 2009 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ GNU/Linux
--
Virg Wall

(PCLinuxOS)
Reply to
VWWall

I always put an LED on boards, just to show the program has loaded and is executing. The LED usually gets left off the production board. I'm working on a dongle sort of thing now (a CPLD in a DE-9 back shell). It has an 0402 LED (all that would fit) that won't make it into the final BOM; no hole for it to see out of. ;-)

I remember that one. I suggested 10-BaseT for the isolated communications. ;-)

All slaves are identical?

The only place we leave the JTAG sockets is where there is no bootloader already programmed on the chip. Sockets are expensive. The dongle I'm working on uses some unused pins in the DE-9 to program the CPLD.

DimBulb is challenged by plugging cards into the appropriate slots. It's a close to sex as he's ever gotten.

Reply to
krw

Our test guy burned up one of our base units (~$15K), twice, Friday. Not sure what happened, but it appears that the power cable's IEC connector doesn't fit right in the entrance module so the power was intermittent. Too many make/break cycles when it was powering on, and the downstream power supplies couldn't take it.

He did it on the night shift, while nobody was there. He just continued on cleaning bowls.

Reply to
krw