Another prototype

So will we all. But, the heat controls are replaceable parts. I've had four burners with such controls for about 30 years, haven't had to replace one yet.

Gas (propane) two-burner stovetops start under $100:

so it'd take a LOT of extra requirements before I'd consider the $2000 option.

Reply to
whit3rd

Our GE oven at home has two sections, one electronic and one with the old pneumatic thermostat. The electronic half died young.

Peak power and thermal time constants matter. Do you cook?

Hey, I'm worth it. Well, worth NXR but not maybe Wolf.

And the NXR will work during a power outage, like after an earthquake when the electricity typically goes out but the gas doesn't.

.com

was

tart at $500.

ave touch panel.

away a

place a

rd of an electric stove. They're built for 15 year life expectancy.

I have this thing:

&Sku=JBP66DMBB

After four years it still looks as new as in the pic. The electronics is al l super clean and I know because I've been in there. The surface unit contr ol for the rear right burner tack welded itself permanently on during the f irst year, it was a microscopic weld that was only holding on by an ounce b ut still more than the return spring could handle, so I replaced the contro l. Other than that, no problems.

u leave.

Makes no difference to me where most cooking is simmering something in a co vered pot with heat setting between LO and OFF. I use all SS cookware, no n on-stick toxicity, never have any burned food sticking to the pot.

r $400,

stove top

erman gas

ears, so you can get 75 years use out them for the price of that NXR. I not ice they conveniently omit the weight of that NXR behemoth on the specifica tion sheet, no wonder changing it out is a big deal.

Now you know why the NG/LP powered generators are so popular, and they're c heap, something like $150-$250/kW capacity, but watch the life expectancy, the low end are only built for 1000 hour operational life, then throwaway.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Good grief, but that's ugly.

Other than it failing, it was fine?

GE appliances are 98% crap.

Does your "cabin" have water without electricity?

--

Rick
Reply to

ail.com

I was

y start at $500.

rowave touch panel.

row away a

replace a

board of an electric stove. They're built for 15 year life expectancy.

age&Sku=JBP66DMBB

It's a friggin stove, not designer furniture., sheesh. .

all super clean and I know because I've been in there. The surface unit co ntrol for the rear right burner tack welded itself permanently on during th e first year, it was a microscopic weld that was only holding on by an ounc e but still more than the return spring could handle, so I replaced the con trol. Other than that, no problems.

Infant mortality, it happens.

Nope, simple designs, good-enough materials, readily available and low cost replacement parts, easy to keep them running forever...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Seems to. But we're more likely to have a serious earthquake in San Francisco than in Truckee. We cook with gas in SF, too.

In the 89 quake, we lost electric power but gas and water kept working.

Really, electric stoves are awful. Unreliable, energy hogs, and nasty to cook on.

My wife loves Wolf's red handles. ;-)

Reply to
krw

The sweet spot is a gas cooktop and electric ovens. Gas ovens produce a bunch of water vapour that makes baked goods tough rather than flaky.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

"Seems to"??? I'm asking if you are on a well or on public water. Wells typically are the problem in rural housing when you lose electricity. It is amazing how hard it is to live without electricity... most people's stove, lights, refrigeration, heat... all go out. But keep all that and lose your water... after a few days you have to leave because of all the smells. Phew!

Then you are clearly on public water.

Whatever. Your "unreliable" is nonsense. "Energy hogs" is just your opinion and "nasty to cook on" is quite a bit overstated. I've never seen an electric stove blow up a house. I can't say that for gas.

--

Rick
Reply to

Oh, why didn't you say so? We're on the local public water system, which is in fact well water, but there are tanks and water towers and stuff, like any town has.

Wells

The heat will go out, but then we can run the stove!

In San Francisco, most people are. We do have a friend with a well in her back yard, but she uses it to water plants. I woundn't drink it!

The heating elements seem to fail a lot. Most 10+ year old electric ranges have at least one dead.

"Energy hogs" is just your

Making heat resistively from electricity is insanely inefficient compared to using gas.

and "nasty to cook on" is quite a bit overstated. I've never

I've never seen a gas stove blow up a house. Lots of houses are set on fire by bad wiring.

Not a good idea but in SF, it doesn't matter much.

Glass-top stoves seem to be better.

Electric elements are 100% efficient. ;-)

Define "seen". We had a close call. We came home one day to the smell of gas. I had my wife go next door to the neighbors to call the gas company and I went downstairs to kill power (probably not a good move). I looked up under the kitchen and the stove's flexible pipe, where it connected to the main line had broken clean.

Clearly.

Reply to
krw

Are these in production?

Reply to
haiticare2011

Yes, cooking is like life - nasty, brutish, and short. (At least today, when few want to do French style cooking.)

Steam a good way to cook, as it clamps the temperature at 100 C. Also, among a raft of warnings and dire predictions, it turns out one of the true ones is that charring meat introduces chemicals you don't want in your body. It's not a carcinogen, as the popular narrative goes, but a thing that cross-links proteins.

The Japanese soy sauce - the high quality stuff called Shoyu from Sanj at $3 a bottle - mimics the taste of charred meat. The vegetarian societies have many tricks to counter bland food that is good for you.

Reply to
haiticare2011

But not the generation of electricity.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

That is not fact, just your personal experience. I have three houses and have never replaced a burner in nearly thirty years. "Most" is a complete exaggeration.

Nonsense. The inefficient part of stoves is getting the heat into the food. Most of the heat goes into the air.

All houses have wiring whether or not they have gas. Look it up, houses blow up all the time from gas leaks. One happened in my personal experience.

--

Rick
Reply to

More nonsense. Glass top stoves just have glass over the burners.

That large of a break is insanely dangerous. Most often gas leaks are small cracks in the flex pipe. That is why they add a scent to gas, so you can smell it at low concentrations before it becomes dangerous. That large a leak likely was already at or close to explosive levels.

--

Rick
Reply to

SF is old and most old cities are piped extensively for gas.

So what...is your house illuminated with gas, or does your refrigeration wo rk off gas? Lose your electric power and you're back in the 18th century li ving standard. Gas is good for powering cheap electric generators.

Unless you're into commercial food preparation you shouldn't be using that much electricity to cook. Peak demand may be high but total energy consumpt ion is small. The one electric appliance that I agree is a hog is the hot w ater heater, but everything else is nominal now. You'll be extolling the virtues of heating with coal next.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Larkin has a gas powered coffee maker? Or maybe gas powered toaster, gas po wered blender, gas powered food processor, gas powered dishwasher, gas powe red microwave, gas powered refrigerator? He doesn't realize it, but he woul dn't have much a kitchen without electricity.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Some years back California changed the codes about those flex lines. Apparently the old style did tend to break. The new ones are spiffy stainless things.

Heck, knob and tube wiring was a fire waiting to happen. There was a time span here, after k+t, that all wiring had to be in conduit. Now residential wiring is Romex, but commercial is still required to be in conduit.

We have a really good fire department here, and lots of it.