Tell Butterball to Stop Torturing Turkeys

See the video:

...or boycott them.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Thanksgiving is a pain in the ass holiday anyway, second only to Halloween.

Reply to
bitrex

The only turkey I know of around here is Bloggs >:-}

Thanksgiving is a marvelous holiday for family get-together's... with all our children, grandchildren, associated spouses, and soon-to-be (due in a few weeks) Olivia Lawless, our very first great-grandchild, we typically have about 24 for Thanksgiving dinner :-)

The only pain is figuring out where to set up extra tables... the dining room table accommodates only 10. ...Jim Thompson

It's not just for Thanksgiving, turkey is becoming a popular low fat high protein substitute for beef. There is now ground turkey packaged like hamburger, turkey sausage and bunch of other turkey products for everyday meals.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I stopped eating meat some time ago in no small part because of how the animals are treated. It should also be better for me so it's a win-win :)

--

Rick
Reply to

I'll never understand why people are so obsessed with substituting other things for hamburger. Unless you had been raised on eating the ground up left over meat and trimming from a dead cow, there would be nothing appetizing about hamburgers. Then there are hot dogs, sausage and... wait for it... scrapple, aka "pan rabbit"

Why not just eat foods in the ways they are best prepared rather than trying to make them look like something else? That goes double for tofu and any vegetables.

--

Rick
Reply to

hamburgers and sausages doesn't have be ground up left over scraps, unless of course the main focus is price

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Not for me. Maybe for the wife, but I think she enjoys cooking the turkey, she always gets up early and makes the stuffing and gets the turkey in the oven. We don't have to put up* with any sisters, brothers nieces, nephews or anyone else they decide to bring anymore, so it's just our kids. Easy breezy. I love a turkey sandwich smothered in gravy with some mashed potatoes, seems like a good thing to have two or three times a years. Mikek

  • don't know quite how it dwindled to just immediate family, I suspect my disgust became evident when we invited a sister, she invited her son and wife and 3 kids, and the invited brother brought a lowlife friend of the family, and then someone was always mad that they didn't get invited. It was just easier to invite no one, that way I can just take my after turkey nap on my schedule. :-)
amdx

they are big so it's cheap and it doesn't taste of much so with chemistry and spices you can make a simili of many things, call it low fat and those who are scared of can eat twice as much and pretend they are healthy

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I'm this close: || to plonking you.

There are political newsgroups where you can spam the latest social concern to your hearts content.

This isn't one of them.

Thank you.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

We grind our own hamburger from roasts, sometimes even from steaks when the tougher varieties are on sale.

On occasion we've actually made our own link sausage.

My grandmother Thompson (a good German woman, Rhoda Warner) made sausage from venison... plentiful in the panhandle region of West Virginia :-)

People who don't eat meat always look pale and sickly to me. Where do they get their B-vitamins... from pills ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

I'm in charge of the turkey... Alton Brown's brined turkey recipe is my favorite...

It dwindles because, as you family ages, the children marry and have their own family events... particularly now, for us, it's Christmas that is no longer everyone in the family.

We have, already, three grandchildren out of college, one married, with a great-grandchild due next month. So they'll all eventually go there own way.

What is pleasant is seeing your children create their own family events in the traditions we've established. ...Jim Thompson

I nixed bloggs a couple of years ago... he's off-the-wall nutso. ...Jim Thompson

Very likely you don't know who does and who doesn't eat meat. As to B vitamin sources... "Good sources for B vitamins include whole grains, potatoes, bananas, lentils, chili peppers, tempeh, beans, nutritional yeast, brewer's yeast, and molasses." Is that enough for a start? Go eat a banana.

It's much like the protein myth that somehow vegetable protein is not as good as protein from meat. Total bunk! There are even doctors who learned that crap in medical school and have not been able to unlearn it.

--

Rick
Reply to

LOL! All the political crap that gets posted in this group and you complain about this one!!! If you killfiled everyone in this group who posted off topic, political stuff there wouldn't be anyone left but maybe you...

--

Rick
Reply to

No Vitamin-B in a banana.

Humans are carnivores... or at least the ones who win >:-}

I eat beans a lot, as a side dish to a good steak, or in chili con carne ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Only brewer's yeast in that list has B-12, and a type that doesn't work in humans. You can coast a few years on bodily B-12 stores, but you've got to eat animal "something" to stock up every now and then. An egg, or milk will do.

Handfuls of new vegetarians find this out the hard way two or three years down the road, when they hit the B-12 wall.

It doesn't have all the essential amino acids in the right proportions. It's like kits--if you've only 2 of one and 10 of everything else, you can only make 2 completed proteins.

Easily rectified by mixing food types, as you certainly know.

Cheers, James ("Veg") Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Reading comprehension here is low. No one is advocating they stop eating me at. There is now a Certified Humane program

whi ch certifies and lists nationwide the operations that treat their farm anim als humanely. People can let the big retailers know they won't buy products from these monsters at Tysons and Butterball. Has anyone else noticed in t hese undercover videos it's always "immigrants" working the processing line s and yards and mistreating the animals?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Fish will do.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Even at the amount of meat I eat I take a folic acid (B-9) supplement daily and get a B-12 shot every three months. I'm a peppy old 3/4C ;-) ...Jim Thompson