Another prototype

All usual PCBs contain heavy metals. None of which are really healthy, starting with copper. Food often is acidic and might react with these. Perhaps carbon traces?

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

ven if it is not very solder-able. I learned that from model railroads. T he brass or copper plated tracks (which ever is the orange/yellow looking s tuff) oxidize and don't conduct until sanded a bit. Nickle plated tracks s till oxidize but conduct anyway.

manage to plate it that way. Some tricky chemistry maybe.

It isn't exactly tricky to get reducing conditions at an electrolytic elect rode.

NiO forms a coherent layer on nickel, protecting the metal against further oxidation (like aluminium and chromium, and unlike iron) so there wouldn't be a lot of NiO there to be reduced back to the metal.

What they actually do is anybody's guess - electroplating is a black art, o r - in more rational language - it involves a lot of proprietary knowledge.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Thanks for the pcb offer, but no thanks. I'll talk with the pcb place and get gold over nickel.

Re: soldering to nickel. I think I've done this in the past. Soldered onto nickle plated contacts, and nickel plated brass stand-offs. (Maybe with my "big ass" Weller soldering gun.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

There are scads of electronic gadgets used around food, like controllers inside ovens and toasters and mixers. Unless they are in direct contact with wet food, any ROHS board should be fine. PCBs don't flake off stuff.

Conformal coating is good, to protect the board from the food! Cooking is nasty, with moisture, grease, flakes of dusty stuff, heat.

We were shopping for a new stove (aka cooker) for our cabin, and I was determined to get one without electronics. With electronics, they start at $500. Without, they start at $2000.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Be my guest! My 200 THz detector paper is at

. It's more or less a broadband crystal radio for light.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

t $500.

The range touch panel electronics is no less reliable than the microwave to uch panel. The range should be on its own 40A breaker, just flip it OFF whe n you leave. GE and Whirlpool are mainstays, you should be able to get one for under $400, those models will have simplified bimetal-based heat contro ls for the stove top elements.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I work in power and consider anything above 60 Hz to be RF.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

It gets exposed to a lot more heat and moisture. And I expect to throw away a microwave every few years, when the door breaks. It's a big deal to replace a stove.

Cook on an electric range? No way!

GE and Whirlpool are mainstays, you should be able to get one for under $400, those models will have simplified bimetal-based heat controls for the stove top elements.

And will die in a few years.

Wound up with an NXR. Pretty good, Chinese stainless sheet metal and German gas burners.

Precision electronic instrumentation

A bit short, in aviation power is usually 400Hz.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

t at $500.

touch panel.

ay a

ce a

I've never seen any kind of deterioration of the electronics control board of an electric stove. They're built for 15 year life expectancy.

eave.

Any differences in cooking are all in your mind.

400,

ve top

an gas

What extravagance! The life expectancy of the peasant appliances is 15 year s, so you can get 75 years use out them for the price of that NXR. I notice they conveniently omit the weight of that NXR behemoth on the specificatio n sheet, no wonder changing it out is a big deal.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Anything under a MW is just noise.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Why do they charge me so much for noise?

Reply to
krw

Because you use too much noise. ;-)

-- Anyone wanting to run for any political office in the US should have to have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

--- This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

Michael A. Terrell

That's a different department. Besides, it's really high quality noise.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

No, it certainly isn't. The power has gone off at least five times in the last month (more likely a dozen).

Reply to
krw

That is the very low frequency part of the spectrum. Being high quality it covers a lot of bandwidth. Think of it as a delta sigma signal turning on and off randomly.

--

Rick
Reply to

So out of 155 million cycles, you're missing a couple. That still sounds pretty good to me :-)

Reply to
Ralph Barone

A *lot* more than a couple. If I were only missing a couple, the clocks wouldn't have to be reset. I wouldn't own a vehicle that had me walk home six times in a month. The only thing less reliable than the power is the satellite TV. Well, the Internet has been really flaky in the last couple of months, too.

Reply to
krw

I'm detecting a trend. The common element seems to be *you*.

I bet your post trimming button is out of order too.

--

Rick
Reply to

No, the common element is that you're full of shit...

...as always.

Reply to
krw