Another prototype

I have a customer who asks us to design and deliver timing gadgets, in a day or two, for free. He can't get anything done internally in any useful time. They're good guys and do good stuff, so we try to accommodate.

They have a Pockels cell electro-optic modulator and want to try a new high-voltage driver. They have an input pulse but need to turn on the pullup and pulldown mosfets separately. Takes two one-shots. But they want to work down to 5 ns input pulses, so I used the really cute SN74LVC1G123, which is basically an HC123 with screaming TinyLogic speed.

(have I mentioned lately how much I like that gold-plated copperclad?)

The nasty part was soldering those US8 chips. The Bellin MSOP8 adapters are 25 mm pitch, and the chips are 20, so I had to bend the pins out.

It's labor intensive, but satisfying, to build things like this.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

ch.JPG

op.JPG

n.JPG

Out.JPG

Some things do get easier. I've used lumped constant delay lines to get non

-overlapping drives for complementary fast MOSFETs, and built my own 2nsec monostable with a pair of discrete broad-band transistors. I should have us ed an emitter coupled multivibrator, but did it the easy way first, which w orked well enough that I didn't get the chance to do it right.

Ghiggino, K.P., Phillips, D., and Sloman, A.W. "Nanosecond pulse stretcher" ,Journal of Physics E: Scientific Instruments, 12, 686-687 (1979).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Reminds me of bad memories from grad school...except you don't have enough timers, and they aren't triggering each other. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Reminds me of university times. At one institute they were of the opinion that the capabilities of a freshly minted engineer is inversely proportionate to the number of timers he used in his final project. So here we had a guy who was close to bursting into tears because his stuff didn't work and the professor insisted that an agreed upon schedule be kept. I ripped out a massive chunk of sauerkraut-wired logic and replaced it with four 74121 timers. The system roared to life and joy came over the land. But ... now we had a huge rack-sized board in there that was largely empty except for those four lone timers. So we fabricated and mounted a "shield" for it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I had an associate at GenRad, Ed Greenwood... his title was Digital Guru, mine was Analog Guru ;-) He'd go ballistic anytime I wanted a timer in my logic, but I did convince him to give in on just a couple of occasions.... like a PLL that would lock to floppy data while I swung the drive in crazy circles over my head (we were dealing with portable testers and drive speeds wandering all over the map). ...Jim Thompson

Nowadays I often encroach on their turf. At one client I only got a coffee and came back the hallway with my cup. One of the firmware guys stuck his head out and exclaimed "Hey, dudes, run. George is coming and I bet he wants another one of those 16-bit timers".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

If all signal propagation proceeds from left to right, it is by definition not a hairball.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I can't download the pics at home. I've used a HV Pockels cell, and know squat about the HV driver. (You plugged in a length of coax to set the pulse width.)

But where's a good place for gold-plated proto types? (I may be doing wire bonding onto pcb's and the wire bonder guy said to get gold plating.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I had Cirexx gold plate two square feet of blank 0.062 thick FR4, for hacking prototypes. I can send you a chunk if it would help.

Most PCB houses will do boards with gold-over-nickel pads. The gold is "immersion gold", something ballpark 10 microinches thick, but they'll do any thickness that you can afford. Ask the bonder guy maybe.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Do you know the different types of gold finish, how they are made and what they are good for? I've never found a site with a good explanation. ENIG is what you are talking about I believe, right? I've seen "Hard" gold and I think there is at least one other type of gold finish. I've never seen anything saying what each is good for.

--

Rick
Reply to

I don't know much about that. I know that copper diffuses into gold and makes it tarnish, so on PCBs you have to use really thick gold (like, 1 mil) or use a nickel barrier layer and very thin gold. We specify "immersion gold over nickel", which is great for ROHS BGA work.

When you solder the gold, the gold dissolves in the solder, so you are really soldering to the nickel. But nickel doesn't solder! Explanations welcome.

Precision electronic instrumentation

akes it tarnish, so on PCBs you have to use really thick gold (like, 1 mil) or use a nickel barrier layer and very thin gold. We specify "immersion g old ove nickel", which is great for ROHS BGA work.

ally soldering to the nickel. But nickel doesn't solder! Explanations welco me.

My guess - and it's only a guess - is that bare nickel oxidises, and the so lder can't get through the nickel oxide to diffuse into the nickel metal.

Gold-plated nickel is protected from oxidation by the gold, right up to the moment when the gold dissolves in the solder, so the bare nickel would nev er get a chance to oxidise before the solder has "wetted' it.

This strikes me as plausible. I'd need to do a bit of reading before I coul d convince myself that it might be correct.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Nickel is solderable, it just takes a lot of time and heat, and an aggressive flux. Which supports the oxide idea.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs Electrical Engineering Consultation Website:

My guess - and it's only a guess - is that bare nickel oxidises, and the solder can't get through the nickel oxide to diffuse into the nickel metal.

Gold-plated nickel is protected from oxidation by the gold, right up to the moment when the gold dissolves in the solder, so the bare nickel would never get a chance to oxidise before the solder has "wetted' it.

This strikes me as plausible. I'd need to do a bit of reading before I could convince myself that it might be correct.

-- Bill Sloman, Sydney

Reply to
Tim Williams

I seem to recall that unlike many finishes, nickle oxide is conductive even if it is not very solder-able. I learned that from model railroads. The brass or copper plated tracks (which ever is the orange/yellow looking stuff) oxidize and don't conduct until sanded a bit. Nickle plated tracks still oxidize but conduct anyway.

--

Rick
Reply to

Battery contacts are usually nickel-plated steel, difficult to solder.

The gold over unoxidized tin theory sounds good, but I wonder how people manage to plate it that way. Some tricky chemistry maybe.

This partially explains it.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Ni-NiO-Ni makes a tunnel junction with a barrier height of about 0.2 eV. Those MIM (metal-insulator-metal) junctions respond quite literally from DC to daylight. I've used them as detectors at 200 THz myself, and other folks have measured visible-light response.

Down at DC (i.e. below 1 THz) they cause all sorts of harmonics and IMD, which is why you don't use nickel connectors for radio if you can possibly help it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The Giga-camp rules of the finnish hams include a stocks punishment for talking of frequencies below 50MHz, with the exception of DC and IF. May I quote the statement above for the next camp ?

--
Mikko OH2HVJ
Reply to

Everything below 1GHz is just slowly varying DC. :-)

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

All the speculations about NiO sound perfectly reasonable to me.

Say John, Can you give me any pointers abut PCB which are safe 'around' food and people? I have perused the ROHS directive, but what kind of PCB would be suitable for people facing equipment?

Appreciate any thoughts and directions. jb

Reply to
haiticare2011