Altium 6.x pricing

Does anyone know what Altium Designer 6.? costs these days? I need to make a case for buying it versus Orcad at around $10K.

Thanks,

Bob Stephens

Reply to
Bob

Ask Altium ?

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Does anyone know what Altium Designer 6.? costs these days? ========================================================== I sent an email and asked 'how much for the scematic and pc modules?'... its kind of like a restaurant with no prices on the menu... I didnt really understand the answer... you need the base module for $6k and some other module for $12k, but you cant use either one by itself?!?, so I think its $18k per seat this week.

Reply to
BobG

Would you be so kind as to cut and paste the answer you got and post it? Thanks!

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

You wouldn't say that if you had ever done it ;)

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Thanks Bob. Altium - and before that ProTel's - marketing crew have always been smoke and mirror operators. That's why I was hoping to get a straight answer from outside of their sales channel. Did the 18K include the 'nano-board' FPGA development module?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Probably - that's a VERY expensive item, but it will certainly be very useful to some. We likely won't be getting it anytime soon.

Altium costs us ~ $450 per seat for the annual upgrade. One of the Institute's licenses is a floating network seat. IIRC the initial cost for that was about $4.5k, so given our 50% academic discount, figure ~ $9k list.

Reply to
Winfield

OK Thanks. That's about what I spent four years ago at my previous employer for Altium Designer IV. If it's still in that range, I think I can justify the expenditure.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

It wasn't that way for Protel, at least up to 99SE. You basically got everything for $4500 or $5000, IIRC. Whatever the price was (I did a full upgrade for $1500), you got the schematic editor, spice simulator, pld design, and of course Protel in the bundle. It also came with the Camtastic gerber editor, which was and is still nice.

I hardly ever used anything but Protel & Camtastic in the bundle. I still do use Protel 99SE & Camtastic. Protel is easy to learn and use (very intuitive). It doesn't have everything that some of the new packages have, but then I don't think those features are worth the silly prices various vendors charge. I mean, how much does and sch editor and pcb layout tool need to cost? I think $1k is a lot. Of course, I'm doing boards and only boards.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

OK. As of yesterday, The current Qty 1 price (US) is

Foundation License + Board Implementation (Schematic and PCB) = $10k Unified Electronic Product Development System License (Schematic,PCB + FPGA) = $12K

Annual maintenance is 20% of purchase price.

I didn't ask for a quote for just the "Foundation" bit

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I actually did it and am using it. But since I took the upgrade path, I have no idea how much a new license costs.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar