Question for our American friends..

As engineers (I assume professional engineers), how do you react when people ask you what your job is and you say you are an engineer? Do they assume you drive a train?

Hardy

Reply to
HardySpicer

I say I'm majoring in physics and people get this amazed look on their face.

I guess physics takes a lot of math? Maybe, I never had a problem with it...

I also say I'm majoring in EE, which I suppose is more specific than "engineer" (which might include those that drive and possibly maintain trains).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Absolutely! Only *real* engineers drive trains.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Where the hell did the word engineer get mixed up with a train driver? Even in the UK where engineers are classed as toilet cleaners things are not that bad.

Hardy

Reply to
HardySpicer

Sanitation engineers! ha.

"

Reply to
Jamie

Friend of mine had a problem with British Gas. The customer dept said they'd send an engineer to fix it, and if the engineer couldn't fix it they'd send a technician.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Now, that sounds plausible :)

"

Reply to
Jamie

At cocktail parties, when asked what I do for a living, I reply, "I make chips". You should see the looks on their faces ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Here, a half hour drive from Silicon Valley, they usually look reasonably impressed and generally ask "what kind?", meaning electrical, mechanical, computer, things like that. There are lots of engineers around here, and it would be unusual to find one who *does* drive a train.

Engineers are pretty well up on the middle-class status scale here, more datable than, say, lawyers.

John

We have "stationary engineers" here, operators of boilers and HVAC systems, essentially machines that don't move.

I suppose "stationery engineers" design paper products.

John

I react by saying that I'm an engineer. If you mean how do *they* react, it varies. Most are simply happy with the answer. Some want to know what kind and what I do. I answer "electrical" and "I design things", I may even say what kinds of things I'm working on.

Not once. Sounds like fun though.

--
Keith
Reply to

The engineer was trained to safely operate & repair a steam powered locomotive, AKA 'Engine'.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What kind of lathe do you own?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I tell them I'm an enginerd. They assume I write software. At least assuming that one drives a train isn't insulting.

Reply to
qrk

It's an old metalworking joke, when someone refers to 'making chips'. :)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The same thing, in Ohio in the mid '60s.

I have done a little, but I can't find one that I can afford, and find room for. The last one I looked at had a 5 HP three phase motor, and was about 14 feet long. I could have had it for the scrap price, but it would fill an entire bay in the garage.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Probably because he was the guy who operated the engine. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

HardySpicer wrote in news:ce7a1de5-a02d-481e-9fe7- snipped-for-privacy@a3g2000prm.googlegroups.com:

I guess it's like "rocketeer" or "wagoneer" - the person who handles the item. The engineer didn't work the train, but specifically, controlled the engine.

I think it might be different from the origin of the otehr types of engineer. Wht I found was this: [Middle English enginour, from Old French engigneor, from Medieval Latin ingenitor, contriver, from ingenire, to contrive, from Latin ingenium, ability; see engine.]

HTH

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Late at night, by candle light, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax penned this immortal opus:

I can believe that. Here in Brazil most engineers just sit on their fat asses and look important. Us technicians is what get things working.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

The rest of the train is supposed to go pretty much where the engine does. BTW, the fireman's job wasn't to put out the fire. ;-)

See the last word.

--
Keith
Reply to