A question for management types.

If he's getting paid, then it's not slavery; it's a "contract". >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 17:51:07 +0000, Guy Macon wrote: ...

Simple! Just find some kid who has become Big by the powers of the mysterious genie at the carny. ;-)

Or, just find some actual kids to try them. :-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

My point was basically a rewording of the question, "When everybody goes on the dole, who pays the bills?"

And this is not intended to be a rhetorical question. Who, exactly, is expected to pay the bill(s) for all this "largesse"?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Damn yo' be ignorant. Dem evil rich white folk gonna pay.

"Tax the rich and give it to the poor til there ain't no rich no more"

Irish Mike

Reply to
Irish Mike

Alas, children are particularly bad at predicting which toys will be hits. For one thing, most toys are not bought by children but by someone buying a toy for a child. Even if the actual purchaser is responding to a child's stated wishes, those wishes are based on toy advertisements (which the child has seen) and not on the actual toy (which the child has not seen yet.) To complicate things, the target customer is not the person who buys the toy, but rather what the toy buyer at Walmart thinks that the person who buys the toy will buy.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

As grandparents of eight, we get toy catalogs daily ;-)

...Jim Thompson

You don't waste time and money traveling to interview with HR. If your potential supervisor isn't participating, it should be done over the telephone.

2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Oh, he probably thought that he had them coming...

A decade or so ago, I was working the job from heck, and as the project came to the end, they had a big meeting where they gave out the end of year/end of project bonuses. I already knew I was being laid off, but one of the few reasons I was still present on the job was that bonus check that was coming.

So, at the end of the meeting, when I realized that I wasn't getting one, it was quite a shock. Boss had thought it would be entertaining to watch me swing in the breeze. I had two revenges. First, that was my last day, but they paid me through the end of the year. Second, six months later when that boss was interveiwing at my new place of employment, he didn't have a chance in heck of getting hired!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Well, when I was hired at my last job, it was an all morning interview. Started with a manager giving a tech test, a meeting with my bosses, and then a group interview with 'the gang!' I had a good time, and they did too, so an offer was assured.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

One cannot sell oneself into slavery either.

Reply to
krw

At this point, I'd have quit sniveling about the bonus.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Feh. If you want to tax the rich, then lose the income tax and replace it with an _outgo_ tax. Don't tax what they _EARN_, tax what they _SPEND_.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

I suggest that you go to your local US Army recruiter, sign up, and then a couple of months later try to quit your new job. I imagine that your "one cannot sell oneself into slavery" argument will go over quite well.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Don't be so stupid.

Reply to
krw

A personal attack is a poor substitute for a logical argument. There is nothing stupid about what I wrote; it is a valid logical refutation-by-example of your claim. You have repeatly asserted that one cannot "bind the young punk to your company" on the basis of slavery being illegal. I gave a perfectly good example of such a practice being perfectly legal.

There is a difference between slavery and an employment contract. If you wish to learn the difference, please address the substance of my argument rather than resorting to ad hominems. If, on the other hand, you prefer flaming to a constructive conversation, I refer you to the reply given in the case of Arkell v. Pressdram.

--

 "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet
  is a sucker\'s game because they almost always

Statement of fact. That *was* a stupid statement, worthy of a moral relativist.

Military personel are not in any way owned. There is a term of enlistment. They cannot be murdered and are within the law.

Of course there is. I never said anything differently.

Don't be stupid.

Reply to
krw

Yes but getting embroiled in such a case stinks you up for other employers for years. No subsequent manager will sign you up for such a deal ever again.

Reply to
JosephKK

Actually it's covered in the 4th of the required 4-semester EECS kickoff sequence, and possibly in some of the other courses as well. It's simulating it in spice with the right dimensions that is in the optional course.

But it's rarely _used_, so readily forgotten in many cases.

Reply to
cs_posting

No Autocad... what do you use instead? Or did you discover you didn't really need it after all?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

We use an older rev of Autocad, and Solidworks and Dancad (or something like that, $99 maybe), but we won't spend another dime on any more Autocad products.

Autocad hired a hack attorney to harass us, and said hack attorney warned us not to buy additional Autocad products. Really! We were only too happy to comply.

I've been meaning to try the non-free version of SketchUp. Anybody tried that? The free version is lots of fun and easy to use, but it's not suitable for doing flat mechanical drawings.

John